1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've only been a member here for a couple months now, but I haven't yet seen a thread about people's history with firearms.

My intro to shooting was in the late '50s/early '60s at a downtown Louisville indoor range with the Junior NRA and .22 single shot rifles.

As I got older, while my dad wasn't a shooter, a couple of uncles had guns at their farms & I'd get to shoot things when visiting.

Shortly (immediately maybe) after my 21st birthday, I bought my first handgun - a brand new Colt Commander in .45ACP.

In my 20s I additionally acquired a WWII vintage, tangent sight Hi-Power & a S&W 4" Model 19.

Those were all gone by the time I moved to Northern CA and in my early 30s I started again... a succession of .22 (Ruger Single Six & foreign semi autos). By my late 30s I was back into center fires with .45 and 9mm.

I joined and started shooting USPSA matches in my late 30s/early 40s, first with a Glock 19, then a Colt Combat Target.

Moved away from the boonies of Northern CA to the City in my late 40s and shooting was set to the side while I struggled through law school.

Once finished with that and having a real job (after being a starving musician from my teens to late 40s...) I managed to acquire a few other noisemakers.

Well over a half century with firearms as a significant part of my life and enjoying it all!

What is your gun history? How long have you been shooting?

:)

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
My first handgun purchase was a High Standard.

A .22 rimfire Sharpshooter model that I still have. It is a tack driver. This would have been in the late seventies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ruger SR22, then M&P Shield 9mm with a trigger kit, then Ruger 10/22 Takedown, then Ruger SR1911, then Springfield 1911 9mm Range officer (full size) then the latest add is Ruger Security 9.

I'm adding Hogue grips to the security 9 and the Shield to try to improve grip and consistency.

Target range use as practice for ccw.

My best accuracy is in the following descending order:

10/22 of course
Sr1911
Sr22
SA 1911
Security 9
M&P Shield 9

My intended use has me work at 7-10 yards.

One of my biggest obstacles is tri-focal lenses. I use the middle lens to focus on front sight. Any other approach is far worse.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
1858 Remington .44 cap 'n ball imported by Lyman ages ago.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The first gun I owned was a Beretta PX4 storm in .45. The first gun I ever shot was an M16 when I joined the military at 20 years old. No experience aside from a pellet gun. When I started I went through the phase of exchanging, trying to find a gun I liked. Needless to say, I've gotten rid of guns to upgrade or just to get something different.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
My first handgun was a Ruger Mk.1 22 at age 23. My first rifle was a Daisy Monte Carlo BB gun at age 9. Next was a pump pellet gun at age 12. First real long gun was a Remington 870 Wingmaster at age 22. I still have that one and I'm now 64.

·
Registered
760 Posts
First gun I shot was a H&R 16ga bolt action my uncle taught me with, I believe I was 8, at 10 my folks got me a single shot 22 Winchester, my first pistol I bought was a Taurus 66 357 4" blued that was close to 10 yrs old when I bought it and that was in 85 and I still have it, Taurus put a new barrel on it about 2 yrs ago under warranty as the old one was completely shot out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
S&W Model 18

My first handgun was a S&W Model 18 .22 Combat Masterpiece in 1970. I paid $100.00 for it but my dad had to purchase it as I was only 16 at the time. The Model 18 was identical to the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special which my father owned.
I still have both.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
First handgun was a Walters P38. This was a long time ago when you could get them cheap, like real cheap. Traded it (with some $) for a Colt Combat Commander, which I still have.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got a late start in life when it comes to handguns. I turned 50 this year, and only got into it about 5 years ago. My very first handgun was a Ruger GP 100 4" stainless revolver, followed quickly by a Ruger LCP. The GP 100 I still have and will probably never part with. The LCP has come and gone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Colt Woodsman, me too. 1964. No telling how many thousand rounds I fired through it with absolutely no failures of any kind. Still have it. There is a circle pressed into the right grip from the holster snap.

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
Remington Rand 1911. But traded it away to my Middle School PE teacher for an fully-engraved / fancy wood Browning Auto 5 within two weeks of getting it.

So the first handgun that really counts was a Brink's surplus Model 10. That gun was great!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts