1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m familiar with the process and thinking about actually buying a press. Probably won’t set it up for a while. At 50 I’ve been shooting since I was 8. I remember ammo prices all the way back to the early 80s up to now and know what factory ammo should cost compared to today’s ‘dollar a pop’ prices.
But what I don’t really know is what price would be considered good for components like cases, bullets, primers or powder. I read and see prices are sky high now for components no different than factory ammo is. But I’ve got no mental baseline for what it ‘used to be’. I also realize even finding components is as difficult as it is finding ammo.
But I’m just curious what decent prices for these things were before the latest rush and hoarding?

·
Registered
159 Posts
9MM LUGER124 GrainRNGRAINS/RNDGRAINS/LBROUNDS/LB
COMPONENTCOSTPERROUNDNOTES4.070001750
Bullets$97.191000$0.10Xtreme PHP
Cases$0.001000$0.00Range pickup
Powder$22.95lb$0.01Hodgdon Titegroup
Primer$30.951000$0.03CCI SPP
TOTAL$7.0350$0.14

·
Registered
159 Posts
The chart is maybe a couple of years old. The trick was to find free shipping on bullets. The powder and primers were sourced locally. The cases were scavenged at the range. Most common handgun ammo was about half the cost of buying factory. Some of the revolver rounds, rifle rounds, or odd balls are much cheaper to press then to buy factory. Finding the bullet weight and charge that each gun likes best is the fun part.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
At the moment you could probably pick up the press, dies, powder drop, scales, gauges, etc. Powder, primers, and bullets are very hard to come by at the moment.

Grumpy

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
84 Posts
You might want to consider casting your own bullets. That really brings the cost down to about 5¢ a round after investing in equipment. The problem right now is primers. Powders are difficult to find but not impossible. It’s a fun hobby.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sadly, with all the phony money they've pumped into the system in the last year I doubt prices wil ever return to "normal". This must be what it felt like to live in the Weimar Republic of Germany between the wars.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You might want to consider casting your own bullets. That really brings the cost down to about 5¢ a round after investing in equipment. The problem right now is primers. Powders are difficult to find but not impossible. It’s a fun hobby.
This ^^^^

It has been a world of difference for me. Especially with 357 and 45-70 rounds. All my lead is range scrap so really no cost outside of my time doing some sifting.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
When components are available, buy in bulk, it really saves. Check places like Montana Gold, Precision Delta, Extreme Bullets, and the like. Check out different bullet casters and again buy in bulk. Buy your primers, again when available, by the case (5 boxes of 1,000). Just like grocery shopping, smart shoppers check for bargains, buy when things are on sale, and like buying toilet paper, you should NEVER wait until you're completely out before buying more. :)

Grumpy

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
Registered
528 Posts
when the supply catches up to the demand and prices drop, remember how bad it was. Buy all you can afford, buy more than you can afford.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I buy at the LGS so not the best prices but they were always helpful.

Bullseye 1# = $26.16
Unique 1# = $26.95
Win LPP 1000# = $37.90
X-treme 230 RN plated 500# was $69.99 and now $103.50 on their website

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
It's really a bad time to take up reloading. Components are in extremely short supply, equipment is very hard to come by.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's really a bad time to take up reloading. Components are in extremely short supply, equipment is very hard to come by.

I’m in no hurry. As I said I’m fairly familiar with the process and was just considering getting a press and most other stuff one would need just in case they decide to ban homemade ammo plants.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
A new Lee 6-cavity bullet mold was just under $60 last year.
Today sellers on eBay are asking and getting $160 for them.
I just sold a gently-used one on eBay for $105.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
A few years ago I picked up a bag of used dies on Ebay. Probably 10 dies total. C&H, Lee, and RCBS, all for about $15. None of them were rusty, all had their lock-rings (which adjusted freely), and all seating stems and de-capping assemblies in place. Can't find bargains like that now.

Grumpy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last time I bought primers (last Fall, before Wuhan Flu) I paid about $162/5000 for large and small pistol CCI's. Now I see them on Gunbroker for $300-$500 per 1000. Outrageous!

Shotshell components, surprisingly, are still reasonable. Guess not as many of us reload shotgun.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Well, start by eliminating the hazmat fee for primers and powders...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts