1911Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
When I last bought components at the beginning of 2020, I was paying $35 for a 1K brick of CCI small or large pistol primers at a local Scheel's sporting goods store. I don't buy powder or primers online due to the insane hazmat fees, so I was also buying powder at Scheel's for between $19 and $26 per pound, depending upon the powder.

I don't shoot cast lead or plated bullets any longer, and I never will again. I've been ordering 9mm 115 grain JHP's from Zero or RMR in 2K lots at about $100 per K. If shooting lead or plated is OK with you, you might be able to save a little bit over jacketed. Maybe, enough to buy a taco lunch every 6 months, if you shoot a lot.

I probably have 8 jillion cases that I've scrounged off of shooting lanes since about 1990, so those are free.

This all adds up to the fact that I could load 100 9mm JHP's for $14. I still can, since I'm still using those components, and I have enough to last for quite some time.

I agree with what has been said, though. Now is a totally crap time to be getting into reloading.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I just started within the last 3-4 months from never having reloaded before. I had no prior baseline but just saw how ridiculous ammo prices were And still are. Ammo wise, I’m good so I didn’t have to reload,,,,yet. Except for brass, I had nothing. The investment wasn’t that cheap but I can say even with not having enjoyed ‘the old’ prices, my rounds aren’t exceeding .20/rnd. You can’t buy 22lr for that right now. It’s also added another new dimension to the hobby because the reality is most of us are shooting less than we did a year ago, not more. So even though, things are high and harder to get, it’s still worth it imho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just started within the last 3-4 months from never having reloaded before. I had no prior baseline but just saw how ridiculous ammo prices were And still are. Ammo wise, I’m good so I didn’t have to reload,,,,yet. Except for brass, I had nothing. The investment wasn’t that cheap but I can say even with not having enjoyed ‘the old’ prices, my rounds aren’t exceeding .20/rnd. You can’t buy 22lr for that right now. It’s also added another new dimension to the hobby because the reality is most of us are shooting less than we did a year ago, not more. So even though, things are high and harder to get, it’s still worth it imho.
20¢ per...what are you reloading may I ask...

·
Premium Member
6,718 Posts
If shooting lead or plated is OK with you, you might be able to save a little bit over jacketed. Maybe, enough to buy a taco lunch every 6 months, if you shoot a lot.
This all adds up to the fact that I could load 100 9mm JHP's for $14. I still can, since I'm still using those components, and I have enough to last for quite some time.
Casting my own bullets from the lead I recovered years ago - 100 x 9mm (or .45acp) costs me $4, so I could probably take a friend with me for tacos every 100 rounds compared to your costs alone (yes, I realize you mentioned JHPs - just saying). Everyone else's costs these days - I could probably take 3 friends for a lobster dinner... :sneaky:

I can say even with not having enjoyed ‘the old’ prices, my rounds aren’t exceeding .20/rnd. You can’t buy 22lr for that right now.
And perhaps more importantly, you are largely self-sufficient now.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
20¢ per...what are you reloading may I ask...
So far, I have loaded 45 acp and 38 super. The .20 was a quick guess actually. I could be wrong but I know its way less than factory. But at .75 + to buy if you can find it is more the point. I’ve got dies for 38 spl/357, and 44/mag/spl for when i need them. 9mm dies are still MIA from Dillon, but I’ll have those too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So far, I have loaded 45 acp and 38 super. The .20 was a quick guess actually. I could be wrong but I know its way less than factory. But at .75 + to buy if you can find it is more the point. I’ve got dies for 38 spl/357, and 44/mag/spl for when i need them. 9mm dies are still MIA from Dillon, but I’ll have those too.
I recently broke the decapping pin on my RCBS 9mm die. So I found a Lee universal decapper and use that. I managed to find a Lee 9mm carbide sizing die as a backup. I understand there is universal bullet seating die from Lee which is available. So you can cobble together a 9mm die set if you buy individual pieces. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
This morning an auction for 5K Winchester small pistol primers ended on GunBroker. Sold for $1775 + shipping + sales tax. Not a typo
I'm thinking these guys are bidding up their own stuff, creating an environment where the outrageous is looking normal....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I was surprised to see LPP and powder at a local gun store which was selling LPP for $100 per 1000 with a one box limit and avg 1lb prices $35. Real question is did I buy? Reluctantly, I did. Not sure what the inventory will look like over this and the next year. Good luck to all of us

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was surprised to see LPP and powder at a local gun store which was selling LPP for $100 per 1000 with a one box limit and avg 1lb prices $35. Real question is did I buy? Reluctantly, I did. Not sure what the inventory will look like over this and the next year. Good luck to all of us
I guess at 10¢ each and you have brass and cast bullets your cost is still way below a box of commercial .45ACP.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I’d say my total costs are: .087 lwsc + .10 primer + .03 powder + used brass? Which gets me $.22 plus used brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts