1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a harmless question, I hope :), what can you do to your Springfield without voiding your warranty?

Any restrictions like sights, springs, slide stops, ejectors, small part changes, etc...

Not talkng about machine work....

I'm only worried about cashing in if I have some problem like a cracked barrel lug, peened slide lugs, cracked frame, etc....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Jeff,

Thats a tough question that I would assume would be up to Springfield to determine after inspection. In the past I was told that they will extend a warranty to cover the gun even if a gunsmith has worked on it. The catch was that the gunsmith had to be a reputible one and they probably would warranty the gunsmiths work. Case in point, I had a trigger job done by a well known smith but it didn't shoot POA. I mentioned to a rep who replied that they would fix the sights under warranty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That stands to reason - there's not a trigger job in the world (unless there's a new technique) that will change POI. Call Springfield up and tell them that it's been doubling ever since that gunsmith did a trigger job, though, and you might hear a different story.

Not that this has much to do with guns, but I just changed the air intake on my truck. the company I dealt with was VERY quick to point out that federal law forces manufacturers to honor the original warranty even if a third-party service or maintenance item was installed. Having said that I think we can agree that the hammer and sear aren't seen as service or maintenance items, but it certainly gives you more teeth: the warranty should cover anything that's not affected by the replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One way to make sure you're under warranty is to have the Springfield Custom shop do your modifications. They are a pretty good shop with reasonable prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts