1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would the correct mag for Colt 1911 ser. #175XXX.....?

The mag that came with this Colt 1911 sn# 175XXX is a Type 3 two tone lanyard loop magazine. However, page 83 of Clawson's small book says that the last Colt pistol issued with a lanyard loop magazine was serial number 125566. So, if the magazine that came with this gun is indeed incorrect, what magazine would be correct for this Colt 1911? Thanks in advance for all responses. Art G.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would have to say a two tone with no lanyard loop. Your 50,000 numbers up the line from Clawson indicates that Colt stopped issuing them with a lanyard loop, so I think it's unlikely there is a "crossover". The last gun made by Colts with a loop magazine was in 1915 whereas your gun was made in 1917.

Now, it's entirely possible once the military (Army) got hold of it, someone slapped a lanyard type mag in there as it might have been sent to a cavalry unit. But, I guess if you get down to the nut cuttin, it would have to be as indicated on pg 84 of Clawson's book to be considered correct.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Technically, a purist would want the correct magazine for the pistol. In this case, it would a two tone non looped type as illustrated on Pg 84 of Clawson's book. The U.S. military and firearms establishment have never seen fit to number mags to weapons ala the Germans with their Luger pistols of the same era. Therefore, it's not possible to say one way or the other if a magazine came with a particular pistol. As previously stated, it should not have a loop. It would be relatively easy to find the correct mag and then the gun would be correct.

The lanyard loop mags are nice to have for their own sake, but not with that gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts