1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the same fail to feed out of two guns using four different mags. I used one kind of 230 FMJ ammunition.

The last round would not full chamber or get under the extractor during the chambering. This happened about every 3rd mag will all of the four mags over the space of aobut 100 rounds and in two seperate guns.

I used four different type name brand mags and two different .45 both custom guns.

I am certain it is an ammo problem but what in the design of the ammo or brass would cause it.

Possible case or thickness of the case head.??????

Any other ideas.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Terry,

I am going to probably be redundant to some of your own ideas so please bear with me.

1. Weak magazine springs.

2. Make sure it isn't just one of the 4 mags by marking all 4 with a 1,2,3,4 on the base pad. I use a label maker with rubber cement so they stay put. This is always good so when one acts up you know for sure which one.

I recently had the same FTF and it was due to a dented Mag tube that was hanging up the follower. Now it is garbage fodder.

3. Because the last round has the weakest spring tension in the mag, if your gun has a too high powered recoil spring, the slide is out pacing the ability of the mag spring to get the last round up before returning to battery. Are you using 8 roung mags? This may be the problem as some guns don't like them regardless of what many will say. Look at the Wolff Gunspring Web Page for more on this.

4. Weak ammo can cause the slide not to travel all the way to the rear. However, you would probaly see this FTF in more than the last round.

My suggestions:

1. Make sure the ammo is full powered and quality. Federal Ball, Winchester Ball etc.. If you are using target loads, consult Wolff for the right spring for your light loads.

What ammo "are" you using?

2. Make sure your Mag springs are fresh. The more they are used, the faster they will wear. Actually, Mags. that are stored full retain their tensle strength better than those that are loaded and emptied over and over again. Again, see the Wolff FAQ's on this on their website.

3. Make sure the followers "Glide" all the way up and down the Mag. tube. You ar looking for any binding which will weaken the power of your mag spring's efforts considerably.

4. If all else fails...take it to a reputable Gunsmith who specializes in 1911 work. Get many references before doing so.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TAckerman

First thank you very much for the input.

Just a little more to the mix.

I initially left the ammo name out for a reason. It is not the mags. All function without fail with other ammo, Winchester white box, Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle, They even function with that junk Wolf ammo (Someone gave me a box of that stuff in trade) and not to mention my super crud wheel weight alox reloads (now those loads are a true measure of what a gun will function with).

The ammo I used is another "good" deal. One day I will learn to heed my own tag line. Best price is never or rarely the best value. I probably got another bad lot of brass. This happened to me a few years ago with a case of CCI Lawman. The best ammo for malfunction training I ever saw.

The ammo is factory Federal White Box in Federal Match Brass. Full house 230 ball that is factory made and came in a sealed cardboard case. Not some "friends" reloads. Bought it from a distributor.

All of the mags are different makers and two are sevens and two are eights. Baer 7, Brown 7, Wilson 8 and McCormick 8 mags. Guns are a Full size Wilson CQB and an Ed Brown Bobtail. We loaded only five rounds per mag most of the time.

That is the first FTF I have had in the CQB after about 3000 rounds. I even cleaned the gun to make sure that was not it. First real cleaning since I got it as a demo for my retail operation. Normally just spray oil and continue to shoot it. (I retail the custom and production 1911) By the way the recoil spring is the same length as a new one. I matched it to see if I needed to replace it during cleaning.

The Brown Bobtail was a friend's who stopped by and ended up having some fun by helping me shoot up a couple 55 gal drums and to make it into a burn barrels for the range out back. That was a blast. We swapped guns both back and forth. Now the barrels have plenty (about 300 or so) "air vents" for a thorough burn.

I did not chrono the ammo but the loads were not "wimp" target loads. Probably will chrono next week.

All four mags had the FTF on occasion and both guns had FTF with the same four mags. We tried the eliminate the mag when FTF occured.

The only real varible must be the ammo. Since the Brass is a Federal match and is in a white box like GI brass or GI overruns leads me to think the brass case is GI which is usually a "tad" thicker. At least that was my experience with the 308 GI match rifle brass I used for service rifle competitions.

That is why I was thinking the thickness of the case head was the problem.

Again, thanks for the thoughtfull input.

Terry

·
Registered
510 Posts
Terry - My thoughts were along your line of thinking regarding brass dimensions... However, I recently picked up three cases of FC-01 Match white box... one case into that already and no problems noted here thru a new TRS, Colt Repoop, and 1991A1 "improved". Most of it went thru the Baer TRS, and mags used were mostly Baer 7's and Wilson 47D's. Zero malfunctions to this point. This stuff seems alot hotter than the case of PMC 230gr I picked up for TRS breakin ammo... though not quite as "peppy" as American Eagle ball.

Anyhoo, not sure what help it is, just thought I'd let ya know my experience with what "might be" the same ammo. Good luck and keep us posted!

ACK - World class post for generic ammo and magazine related problems... we ortta keep that one handy! Welcome to the site neighbor!

------------------
Rust never sleeps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts