1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I of course understand that an FFL will add a fee to ship out of state. My question is about shipping within a state. May be a stupid question but shipping a firearm costs me $60+

Is it less expensive for an FFL to ship? Yea Yea it maybe a stupid question!

I have a gun I bought from Davidson's. A Springfield Champion that is about 3 weeks old. When I first got it I expected some hiccups as I never bought a 1911 that didnt have some at first. The range I shoot at is 30 miles away. I have made 4 trips now and shot some 300 rounds hoping that my problem was just newness and would go away. I cant get through a magazine without a failure to go into battery or a failure to eject. When it shoots its great .. but I cant carry it.

My first instinct is to send it to Springfield since I have already mated the slide and frame with all the ammo I paid for and shot through. But their policy is to reimburse you your shipping "IF" it is a manufacturer defect!?

I never had that problem with S&W . 2 guns had issues and in a day I had a shipping label to send it to them. But here is the deal. The Davidson's Warranty says they will just replace the gun. Now that means I have to break in a new one and waste more money on ammo but the real crux is I have to bring it to where I bought it and pay for shipping to them.

If it is going to cost me 60 dollars to ship it through my FFL to get a new one that I have to break in ... and it will cost $60 to send it to Springfield and they MAY return up to 50 dollars for shipping ... Well I dont know which way to go!? I will accept all opinions guys. Has anyone tried to make good on the Davidson's warranty?
Alex

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
I have never heard of anybody sending a gun back on the Davidson replacement guarantee; good or bad.

I have read here of many guns being sent back to Springfield with good results. Sometimes they pay, sometimes they don't.

Me?
I had a dud Springfield which I took to my local gunsmith who fixed it for less than the return shipping.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Personally, I'd rather deal with the manufacturer's warranty rather than a retailer's.

Give SA a call and tell them your situation... tell them you've spent all your hard earned dollars on their gun and can't afford to ship it to them for a problem with their product. Ask them for a call tag to pick it up... I'm sure if you sound pathetic enough :))), they'll pick up the shipping costs (which they should anyway).

I called COLT and told them of my woes with a brand new XSE Commander and the customer service rep gave me a separate address to submit the shipping receipt.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd send it back to SA. I have no experience with Davidson's but I would much rather have the manufacturer work on my gun than the dealer. If SA finds there is a problem with the gun I would expect they will take care of it at no cost to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts