1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RIA Tactical G10 10mm, and while it is a very nice gun, it is the only 1911 that I have that is unreliable. I broke-in the gun with factory ammo (180 grain FMJ from both Armscor and Sig Elite Performance), and from the get go, it began to experience FTF, FTE, and Failure-to-Lock Slide back after last round. Therefore, I sent it back to Armscor (customer service was great!), and the gun was returned to me in about 3 weeks. Armscor replaced the sear spring, main spring (25 lb.), recoil spring (20 lb.), and tuned the extractor and slide stop. But unfortunately, when I test fired it at the range yesterday, it was no better: stovepipes, FTF, FTE, Failure-to-Lock slide. I even tried a Tripp Research Cobra mag--it did not help. I can either send it back again to Armscor or have it replaced using the Davidson's Guarantee. What would you do?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Send it back one more time. Find out what ammo they test fire with and how many rds they use. If it comes back unreliable again, then it's time to go.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I've been under the impression that most manufacturers use a #22 or #23 recoil spring. #20 almost sounds too lite and slide speed is too great for a poor mag spring even though I consider Tripp mags top shelf. Could be a feed ramp angle needs to be re-cut, but the extraction problem is a different issue.

Give them one more chance. How long is the Davidson guarantee good for?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Both Davidson and Armscor are lifetime warranties. I'd contact Nevada again and I'm sure they'll want to try again or replace it. But then again, Davidson might replace it more quickly if that's what you would like to do. Can't lose either way.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've been under the impression that most manufacturers use a #22 or #23 recoil spring. #20 almost sounds too lite and slide speed is too great for a poor mag spring even though I consider Tripp mags top shelf. Could be a feed ramp angle needs to be re-cut, but the extraction problem is a different issue.

Give them one more chance. How long is the Davidson guarantee good for?
When they first came out, RIA shipped them with a #18 spring. Seriously under sprung. They got many sent back for that, for spring upgrades. Strangely, my EAA Witness Polymer Compact 10mm uses a #14, double spring. I am in the process of trying some heavier springs, but the attempts others have made and posted on YouTube do not look promising. With the undersprung #14 pound spring they run fine, put a heavier spring in and it's a jam-o-matic. I am going to try a heavier recoil spring and a heavier mag spring and see if I can get that to work more reliably.

·
Banned
524 Posts
It seem to me I've read of this problem in a previous post, I tried to find it without any luck, but what I remember the conclusion was the Sig Delta Elite Ammo had a base that was a little different and the extractor wouldn't grasp the cartridge fully. This just a guess that it's the same issue, memories do fade with age. Good Luck hopefully this post will jog someone that remembers fully.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Send it back one more time. Find out what ammo they test fire with and how many rds they use. If it comes back unreliable again, then it's time to go.
+1
If at all possible, include a video showing you shooting the pistol with the Armscor ammo and it jamming. This way they know it's a gun problem and not a person problem. I usually just burn the video to a CD. Also include a detailed written letter that explains everything from the start.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way...but has anyone else shot it?
if so, does it MALF for them too??

having said that, I'd probably take it to the dealer you bought it from and have it replaced under Davidson's warranty

problem may be if Davidsons has any in stock TO replace it

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it has been mentioned, any way I go, I can not loose. It would probably be prudent to contact Armscor again and give their gunsmiths another chance. I can not say enough about their customer service: it is excellent. That being said, I have a ton of 1911s from most of the manufacturers in this form, and all of them run reliably on all types of factory ammo and my reloads. The post that airwing8404 noted is very intriguing, and the Sig ammo may just not work in 10mm 1911s. It works flawlessly in my new Sig P220 10mm. (The P220 has fed all types of 10mm ammo.) I know for a fact that Armscor test fires its 1911 10mm guns with the Armscor brand ammo (makes sense). Be that as it may, I would expect my RIA 10mm to function with the Hornady Custom XTP 180 gr. ammo since I find Hornady's ammo to be some of the best. Unfortunately, I did not shoot the gun yesterday with Armscor's ammo for I have run out of it. I hope Armscor can figure out this problem because I really like the gun. And, I am confident, that I will get a solution one way or another (i.e. repaired or a new gun).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Most semiauto pistols headspace on the extractor. What difference does it make either way in regard to the reliability of this 10mm RIA?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Most semiauto pistols headspace on the extractor. What difference does it make either way in regard to the reliability of this 10mm RIA?

It may SEEM that way, but they headspace on the case mouth. They "seem" to held in place by a properly tuned extractor.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bret, most handgun cartridges headspace off the case mouth. It's a fact. But, you are correct: in this case, reliability is my problem.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I understand that most semiauto pistol cartridges are designed to headspace off the case mouth, but for most the extractor is what controls how far forward the case will go. For example, the extractor of my 9x23 EAA Witness will hold a regular 9mm Luger cartridge and keep it from going forward. It would fire, but I'm not going to do that. All that said, that's not really the point of this thread. I hope that the OP can get this worked out. I'd actually like to have a 1911 chambered in 10mm to go along with my 10mm EAA Witness.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Too add more confusion to 10mm ammo i watched a youtube vid .. dont remember if it was sootch or someone else saying the armscor ammo was the only ammo the test ria jammed with

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have been running the Sig ammo through my 5" RIA for a couple months now, and it has run well. one or two FTE's in about 1000 rounds.

The worse running has been Freedom Munitions, which I kind of expected it, as it is hardly a warm .40.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
My own experience and others I have read is that when you send the pistol to Nevada for a problem such as yours, they will repair the problem and likely give it one of their complimentary "tune ups". It'll eat anything after the trip. Probably fire wooly worms, carrots, etc. Believe I'd do Nevada just one more time if you're not in a big hurry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts