• Leave it alone

Votes: 26 56.5%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old pre-WWI Colt USGI 1911.

Unfortunately, someone tried to "convert" it to a 1911-A1. They smoothed out the trigger area on the frame, and lowered and scalloped the ejection port on the slide. Then, after the nickel-plating, they tried to stipple the front-strap. So it's basically ruined.

Now -- what should I do with it?

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts
I'd leave it alone and make it my hard-use gun. No sense putting more money into it. If it shoots fine then it'd make a good gun for use where a prettier one would be inappropriate.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
If the sights are the only thing bothering you, I voted for the Lasergrips. Mainly because I've got a set for sale! :D

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You could have the nickle removed and have it parked with a decent set of fixed sights. But, I'd say that could cost $200 or so. Depending on how much you've got in it, you might just part it out. The frame is ruined as far as ever being a M1911 again but the slide might be saved. What's the serial number?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sgt Art said:
You could have the nickle removed and have it parked with a decent set of fixed sights. But, I'd say that could cost $200 or so. Depending on how much you've got in it, you might just part it out. The frame is ruined as far as ever being a M1911 again but the slide might be saved. What's the serial number?
My dad got it in a trade -- I'm sure he paid too much for it.

He gave it to me, thinking I'd enjoy it and use it more than he did. I don't think he shot it much.

I want to be able to USE the darned thing. I don't really feel like I can sell it / part it out in case he asks "whatever happened to that old .45 I gave you...".

That said -- I'm not above sending the slide off to Wilson Combat for a set of dovetailed sights and Armor-tuff finish. Or somebody else and parkerized or even blued.

Or I could just slap a Marvel "practical" .22 conversion and make it a dedicated practice platform / plinker.

Or...

Mike

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts
That is a first-year production M1911. You have any idea what it'd be worth if it was still unaltered? :(

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
durn those gun plumbers, anyway!!!

Since it is basically ruined as a collector's gun, this is what I would do.

1. Get the nickel finish stripped off.
2. Send it back to Colt. Explain what happened, and have it configured as a Gunsite pistol. Specify 20 lpi checkering for the mainspring housing and frontstrap.

3. Carry and shoot what will possibly be the only pistol of its type.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dsk said:
That is a first-year production M1911. You have any idea what it'd be worth if it was still unaltered? :(
I know, I know. That's part of why I sort of feel obligated to do SOMETHING with this thing.

I guess I can't really "hurt" it much more at this point. I might as well make it a useful member of society...

I just don't want to do something and then have someone come back and say "man, what were you THINKING?!?!" -- avoid doing what the first guy did.

I could have a smith convert it to 9mm and put some decent sights on it. I keep thinking I want a 9mm 1911 anyway. Or convert it to .40 S&W and add sights. Or just replace the slide with a new one with dovetails already cut...

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
i'd use it as a workin' gun. i don't think i'd want to put any money into it...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a Remington Rand that almost the same thing was done to except for the stippling and the frame altering.
It cost 100.00 for parkerizing at Ford's in FL (they have an ad in GunList)
Park it and shoot the dickens outta it!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like CDNN has factory Colt Series-70 slides with sights installed from $139 - $179.

That's less expensive than dovetailing sights and refinishing the existing slide.

Worth looking at?

Mike

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the slide I was thinking about.

It should just fit right on, right? So I can re-use my existing firing pin, extractor, barrel, barrel-bushing, etc?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I voted for the .22 conversion unit. I have a 1940's vintage Colt USGI 1911A-1 frame that had been refinished. I added a Videcki trigger and lightened the mainspring. It does 1/2 time with a Colt .22 conversion unit and the other 1/2 with a Colt Series '70 .45 top-end.

Just plain fun for informal shooting & plinking, although with the .22 conversion it is amazingly accurate... :p

Colt USGI #780,XXX with Colt .22 Conversion Unit.

Colt USGI #780,XXX with Colt S'70 .45ACP top-end.

Regards, NAA.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Make a shooter out of it. I am in the process of having a 1914 professionally restored. My beginning gun was more original but needed a couple of authentic parts, finding these has been a pain. I pretty much have all the pieces now, I substituted a new barrel and will be modifing a new bushing to match the old.

Your has been permanently damaged when the A1 modification was done as far a collector value goes. I would have it stripped, polished, and replated (parkerised ?) to your choice. Then do some trigger work and as long as the barrel is good maybe put a bushing on it to tighen up the groups. Some of these old guns shoot pretty large groups and new sights won't help much on a gun that shoots 5" groups at 15 YDS.

It actually is a excellent candidate to learn pistolsmithing skills on and you could be out no more than around $300 total if you were were willing and able to put some sweat labor into it. A set of wrap around Pachmeyers will hide the stippling.

Then when your Dad asks you can show him how you fixed it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Make a shooter out of it. I am in the process of having a 1914 professionally restored. My beginning gun was more original but needed a couple of authentic parts, finding these has been a pain. I pretty much have all the pieces now, I substituted a new barrel and will be modifing a new bushing to match the old.

Your has been permanently damaged when the A1 modification was done as far a collector value goes. I would have it stripped, polished, and replated (parkerised ?) to your choice. Then do some trigger work and as long as the barrel is good maybe put a bushing on it to tighen up the groups. Some of these old guns shoot pretty large groups and new sights won't help much on a gun that shoots 5" groups at 15 YDS.

It actually is a excellent candidate to learn pistolsmithing skills on and you could be out no more than around $300 total if you were were willing and able to put some sweat labor into it.

Then when your Dad asks you can show him how you fixed it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts