1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently there was a violent purse snatching (knocked down and kicked) of an older lady, a witness chased the BG until he turned on him and slashed at him with a knife, another good guy apprehended the BG at that point , details of capture not reported. the first good guy was on the news and hailed as a hero.

so the question is would you chase after a crook who violently knocks down and kicks an old lady in front of you if you were carrying, I don't mean gun in hand, but attempt to catch the guy without using your gun, I don't believe it was known he was armed with the knife until he turned on the guy.

If our good guy had been carrying and shot the BG when he came at him with the knife would the news still consider him a hero or a wanna be cop?

personally I would not chase the guy if I was unarmed, if I was armed I don't really know what I would do. I doubt I could catch him anyway but maybe I could get him to drop the purse. an armed citizen is supposed to avoid trouble but does that mean you can't assist an old lady because the BG might force you to shoot him?

·
Registered
377 Posts
As Minnesota is a retreat state...

I would not pursue at all. Call police on cell then give first aid to lady. I would try and get an accurate description of the attacker for LE.

However if the attacker chose to continue his attack, causing me to reasonably conclude that she was going to be maimed/killed, he would be instructed in the error of his ways...

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
In the situation you described, I would not chase him, and I would not attempt to stop him if he ran in my direction. This is true especially because I am armed. I don't want any kind of wrestling match with bad guys when there is a reachabe gun. As for using deadly force, you are only authorized to do so if you reasonably believe that your life is in immanent threat. As for defense of others, laws vary somewhat from state to state. In any event, to defend another, the threat to his/her life must also be immanent, and if the guy is running away, there is no threat at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
steelheart said:
As Minnesota is a retreat state...

I would not pursue at all. Call police on cell then give first aid to lady. I would try and get an accurate description of the attacker for LE.

However if the attacker chose to continue his attack, causing me to reasonably conclude that she was going to be maimed/killed, he would be instructed in the error of his ways...

Steelheart
Well said. If I was armed, that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I would certainly draw and give verbal commands if the guy continued attacking the old lady rather than run off. However as the story described it no I would not have chased the guy. I would have asked the woman if she was ok while speed dialing 911 on my cellphone. If the guy continued attacking the lady or came towards me in any way I would shoot.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My sentiments are with Mus -- but no two situations are alike. Thank God I live in a state that does not require retreat and for the most part the police are very favorable to concealed carry. I always try to train my mind that I carry only to protect my life and my family. However watching an old person or a child being molested would be hard to not try to stop.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ray Davies, of the Kinks, was shot in New Orleans last week for doing that very thing.

You wouldn't be justified in drawing in that situation either, if he's just got a purse and running away. The best thing to do is probably just let him run, even though it would not be the thing our egoes may want to do. Our ego would say run him down and jump him. but what if he does have a weapon. Are you going to escalate it into a life or death situation? You're playing the odds that he's just a punk with no skill and no weapon, but that may not be the case. You could end up shot, like Ray Davies (although he was lucky, just shot in the leg), or you could shoot him and kill him. then you'll be in court. Over a purse and your ego.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Be a good witness, offer aid to the vic, remember the perp's description, don't be a hero.

If you give chase (in AZ) you would be the aggressor and may be found liable if used deadly force. The perp was not causing IMMEDIATE AND UNAVOIDABLE harm to anyone at the time you catch up to him. You'd be toast.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Damn the laws!

If I saw someone kicking an old lady I would catch him and kick the living daylights out of him.

(Makes me angry just thinking about it)

...and if he pulled on knife on me I would take the necessary action to defend myself from a deadly threat.

C

·
Registered
427 Posts
Makes me glad that I can intervene in this state in the event of a felony crime of violence.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
ssr said:
You wouldn't be justified in drawing in that situation either, if he's just got a purse and running away. The best thing to do is probably just let him run, even though it would not be the thing our egoes may want to do.
Right I meant before he ran during the assault and strongarm robbery. Chasing him or shooting him in the back as he runs is obviously a big no no.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I'd draw and arrest him if he was armed or not.

If he pulled a knife on me, he'd be ventilated thoroughly and promptly, without hesitation. I wouldn't tolerate that treatment in my presence of my mother or any woman in my family or any others, or of a man for that matter.

I have no duty to retreat, and every right to make an arrest in the witness of a felony in progress. The jury will decide....after my concience has acted, but an innocent life might be saved in the process.

I guess its a matter of intestinal fortitude.

The badguy better remember not to bring a knife to a gunfight and if he brings a gun, he had better be a better shot than me....which is highly doubtful.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Don't forget, we're just talking about a purse snatching with the guy running away. Sure the person may have been knocked down during the snatching, but there's probably only limited dollars in the purse, and probably credit cards, etc. We're probably not talking about a purse filled with thousands of dollars. Do you really want to chase the guy and possibly escalate it in to a life-death encounter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
LFN said:

so the question is would you chase after a crook who violently knocks down and kicks an old lady in front of you if you were carrying, I don't mean gun in hand, but attempt to catch the guy without using your gun, I don't believe it was known he was armed with the knife until he turned on the guy.

If our good guy had been carrying and shot the BG when he came at him with the knife would the news still consider him a hero or a wanna be cop?

Absolutely Not!

The legal use of deadly force civilians generally are "null and void" if you give chase to another...even if he does turn on you. Hell it many states you cant use lethal force to defend yourself if you were the instigator of the disagreement"

I happen to agree with this, it means if you want to kill a guy you cant just call him on the phone invite him over, start a fight with him knowing he carries an knife and then pull out your gun and shoot him. you do that and you go to jail. You invitied the guy over and you started the fight....thats a no no....

Chasing a criminal is a no no. Thats not self defense.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I would like to clarify that I would not give chase, but that is mainly because of #1 the danger involved, and #2 the legal consequences should things escalate and I was forced to use my CCW. Now, even if you eliminated the legal consequences, that still leaves reason #1 for me, and that's good enough. It is a shame, however, that our laws are designed such that even particularly capable and couragious souls may not do heroic deeds (such as chasing the guy down) without facing probable legal difficulties should things escalate, and deadly force is involved. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

P.S., if the person violently knocked down was someone I knew and particularly cared for, I'd be much more prone to give chase, and pound the living cr$p out of him. In such cases, emotion over-rides intellect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I totally agree...its better not to give chase...but what if - lets change a bit of the scenario - what if the old lady was your mother, who happen to be with you walking.....would you give a chase and use lethal force when the guy turns around and shows a knife? Remember, the BG simply turned around and shown you his knife and as if saying back off or I'll slice your throat...

In my case I guess, I would give chance (because the purse is that of my family member) and once he shows his knife, I would shoot him until he drops to the pavement...I believe this would be totally adrenalin in play by this time.....what would you guys think you would do?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know what I would do. And in my state, I know what you would do. You would go to jail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
abramovich,
you mean in your state you would still go to jail if you have shot the BG? So in other words, if the old lady happens to be your mother, (or say the lady happens to be your wife for instance)who got snatched - its best to just let him go? say adios to the purse without lifting a finger?

Doesnt that go stray from human nature? COuld you enlighten me a bit - what do you think would have been the appropriate thing to do? Would yougive chase? If yes, and say he draws a knife and turns towards you, which makes the situation at this point stale mate?

G

·
Depends on what state you live in. In Texas if there is no other way to recover personal property that has been thieved, the use of deadly force is acceptable (read the Texas Statutes to see the entire law).

I would not give chase. The time to intervene has already come and gone by the time the perp flees.

Someone mentioned what if it was your mother or your wife? My question is this, if you the macho husband or you the good son is giving chase who is protecting said wife or mother??

I would say that just leaving them laying on the ground is probably not very cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts