1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your new police department lets you pick your duty weappon. What would you pick from the below list of duty weapons and why? Please take into consideration the size and weight issue. You will use this for duty and also off duty carry. I know everyone is going to say "get a Glock". However, the Glock is not up for consideration. I interested in seeing how law enforcement officers think.
1. Beretta 96 .40
2. S&W 4003TSW .40
3. Sig Sauer P-229 .40
4. H&K USP-40 .40 (Full Size)
5. H&K USP-40 .40 (Compact)
Thanks for helping in this survey

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carried a Sig P220 in .45 ACP for years and NEVER had a malfunction. Currently I carry a Glock 22, but a new P229 in .40 is waiting on deck. You will not go wrong with the Sig. I also found the Sig line to fit my hand better than any of the other autos with the exception of 1911s. But..1911s are not authorized. My second choice from your list would be the HK pistols. I shot a full-size .45 and was very impressed.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The Sig 229 or the HK Compact. You loose absolutely nothing in my opinion to the full size models. Pick which ever manual of arms and features you prefer. Both are class acts.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
None of the above. While the fit and finish and quality of materials for the HK's and
Sigs is top notch, I feel both have terrible triggers that are long, heavy,and uneven. I've handled caulk guns with better triggers. I don't have as much personal experience with the HK, (couldn't get past the trigger) butI found that the Sig is picky about feeding different types of ammo as well. Couln't consider the Smith for policital reasons(selling out to the gun hating crowd's demands)and the Berretta,while they have improved their triggers quite a bit, is not at the top of my list in terms of preference. (not too bad,though)
I know you excluded Glocks, but my top pick for uniformed patrol is the Glock21. Super durable, corroson resistant, reliable, combat accurate, and with a decent trigger. About the only thing I've seen that could hurt a glock is having the sights knocked off of zero by being dropped or struck on a hard surface.
For off-duty, or concealed on duty carry, I prefer a 1911 variant, particulary my Para P-14 limited stainless which has been "tweaked" In other than street patrol,where the durability and corrosion field conditions are not as critical, I prefer the precision and unbeatable trigger action of the 1911 as well as its slimmer slide.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I do get to carry the gun I want, as long as its approved. I carry a Colt 1991A1 with night sights and checkered wood grips with the pretty gold horsey.

the more I read these boards the more foruntate i feel to get to be able to carry a 1911 pistol. there are two of us that do now, and two more that are getting the equipment to carry their's.

we are the ones who shoot the most and don't fall under that " a gun is a gun is a gun" catagory. we have all shot many different styles of guns, and we all agree for our own reasons that the 1911 is for us.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The HK full sized .40.

Sweet shooting gun, smooth trigger. Best part--softest recoil with the hotter versions of handloads that I fired in it. Took it to the range, and loaded some 135 gr FMJ with Power Pistol--absolutely smokin'!

The same rounds really felt uncomfortable in my Glock.

Disadvantages--looooooong trigger pull. Kinda mushy in the single action mode. Big disadvantage--want to fully disassemble? Better go to the armorer's course first!

But, I'd still buy one.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
None of the above. Get the 1911 or the Glock 21...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This survey is just for my information. The reason that the Glock was not included was I knew that just about everyone would pick it. Nothing wrong with the Glock, just wanted to see what people would say about picking something else if they had to. I used our department's policy to an extenet. Our policy is :
Has to be .40 and double action.
Has to be:
Glock
Beretta
Smith & Wesson
H&K
Sig
So, with that said, this has been an interesting survey. I am going to give it until Tuesday morning and then I am going to post the results from this forum and others. In advance, I would like to thank everyone who has replied.
Mr. Joshua

·
Registered
71 Posts
My duty weapon is a SIG P-229. 12,000+ rounds through it and no malfunctions.
Excellent gun.
SIG also has a .40 P-226 now. That would be my pick for a full size DA duty gun.

In a perfect world boss would let me pack my Les Baer TRS though!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Of your list, I'd pick the Sig. However, that said - I pack a Glock 22 or 27 every day. That's what I'd pick, if it were open to Glocks.

Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
285 Posts
out of that list of pathetic Double action guns I would have to go with the Sig first followed by the USP compact . Two super tough Guns in their own right . I like the saftey of the USP set up like my 1911 so I can carry on safe but instantly flick it off . That just might save your Bacon in a Gun Grab . Personally I only like 1911 , Glocks and Hi-powers but you are probably saddled with dept. regs . My dept. allows those of us who have them carry our personally owned 1911s . Also if you need an off duty holster see our website . We do all the guns you mentioned .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Faithful Employee at :
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
285 Posts
Since you said you could get the Glock then get the Stinking Glock Stupid . Its the easiest to shoot well . Great Guns for a Gunfight . Thats my Vote . Also I called you Stupid out of brotherly concern .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jafo,
For your information:
I have been to the Glock Armorer's and Instructor's workshop and also the Beretta Armorer's school. I cary the Beretta. Always have. I tried the Glock for a little while but did not like it. I am the only one with a Beretta. However on the combat course that is run annually, when everyone else is doing it in @25 seconds, The Beretta and I do it in 14 seconds. No one has ever come close to it. Guns are lliike cars. Everyone has the ones that they like. However, it seems lately that people are buying guns because they are vogue. I have had people come to qualifications with guns and the gun doesn't fit their hands. When I ask them why they bought it, I get because everyone else has it. It just seems that the shooting industry has gotten into the vogue thing. You pick up a gun magazine today, and there will be a Glock or 1911 article in it. Not knocking the two guns, but there is a lot more out there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you have to carry from that list I'll vote for the Sig 229. I've got one that has fired about 8000 rounds without a glitch. It's accurate and fast, and although I see others complain about it here, the DA ain't bad. If I didn't carry my Kimber, and didn't have my 220 to fall back on, I'd carry this one. Another good feature is that I can drop in my 357 barrel and it shoots that spotlessly as well.

Our current department issue gun is the Beretta 8040D, and although I shoot it well, and am an armoror, I consider all the Berettas Klunkers of the first order!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I carried a 229 in both .40 and .357 and really liked the gun. Several thousand rounds thru each and zero malfunctions.

The good thing about where I work is that the Sheriff is a firm believer in 1911 's and carries one. Most everyone else carries a Glock (by choice). I carry a Kimber Custom II and love it.
Scott

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Berettas are klunkers... LOL! :D I always thought that holding a Beretta was like holding a table leg! I've owned a few Model 92's over the years. Guess I'm just spoiled with the Glock! Regards, NAA

·
Registered
18 Posts
The P229. I've carried it for several years and have not had a single malfunction. It is also the most comfortabe, for me, double column handgun. I have had a p228 since it first came out and have about 30,000 rounds thru it with total reliability so my vote would go for the sig. I have just recently switched to a Kimber for duty.

Paul

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I take offense to this Beretta bashing!

Seriously, however, all those guns are excellent choices, just pick the one that you shoot best and feel most comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts