1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off today because the smoke's getting thick here in San Diego county. My Interational Scout II isn't running so I can't take everything I want if I need to evacuate. With all this time on my hands, I've had time to choose. Which weapons to take, and which can be left behind to be replaced later. This isn't a "what if the SHTF" question.

If you knew that you'd get insurance $$, but were just not sure what you could replace right away, what would you take?

For me it boils down to a subjective list of criteria. What are they still making, what can I buy in CA, can I shoot it well, do I like the damn thing, etc.

First, last, & always, my sword. Not much of a weapon, but my parents gave it to me when I was commissioned. As long as some type of gun can be bought anywhere in the world, I will have it and go where guns can be bought.

Making the cut:
Springfield Armory M1A
Winchester M1894 25-35 (circa 1910)
Savage M99 .300 Savage (1950s vintage)
CZ550 Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby
SKB m585 12 ga. O/U
Weatherby Orion 20 ga. O/U
Colt Combat Elite in .45
S&W m 60 (3") .357 mag
Ruger .44 mag Blackhawk
AMT DAO .380
Japanese type 26 nambu

Not saved from the fire:
Marlin M600 .22
Ruger 22/45 auto
H&R Ultra Varminter in 25-06
Savage m110 in 30-06
Ruger m77 in .338 mag
Traditions .54 cal muzzle loader
KelTec P11
Para Ordnance P12 .45
Ruger .44 mag Blackhaw (it never shot as good as the 1st one)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Friend, if the fire is headed in your direction, why not make two trips or more? Get your stuff out NOW, while you can. Why lose anything if you can save it?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My guns are insured and in a basement safe -

fire is NOT a major threat to them. I might take a couple with sentimental value, but if I'm limited by time or space, my priorities are things that CANNOT be replaced:

1. My photos and

2. My pets.

·
Registered
547 Posts
1. kids
2. pets
3. photos/negatives/personal files/PC harddrive
4. all the guns & some ammo
5. clothing
6. The roadbikes
7. reloading supplies
8. The mountain bikes

Done right, I think I can actually get this all in the minivan at once. Not pretty, but do-able with enough zipties and rope/duct tape!
Why these items?

1-3 are irrplaceable
4-valuable & useful
5-necessary
6-valuable & difficult to replace
7-a hassle to buy it all again but not irreplaceable
8.-not as valuable as the roadbikes and easier to replace.

Glad I'm not in your shoes! Stay safe,
Vic
PS: whatever wouldn't fit in the van goes into the firesafe

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm in Lakeside, a suburb of San Diego, and am waiting to see if we get the call to evacuate. Every gun I own is in one of my vehicles right now...except two shotguns which I never shoot anyhow. I'm not taking ammo or reloading equipment because I can replace it easily, but I am taking a couple of custom-made reloading dies which I cannot. Deciding what to take is tough, especially when you know that once you leave, nothing will be left of your home but a pile of ashes and a couple of fireplaces. And when you're already a Geezer, starting over is not a pleasant prospect, but my guns do take precedence over lots of 'stuff'. BTW, one of the boxes in my wagon is full of my'smithing tools, jigs, etc. That was the First thing to be loaded!

Bob

·
Registered
415 Posts
It might be prudent to rent a storage locker, and start moving the more valuable items out before the fires get too near. If your house survives, it will have been relatively cheap insurance. If it doesn't, you at least won't have to start over from scratch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1. pets
2. guns and ammo
3. left over Marine issue stuff
4. cloths
5. photos
6. computer

that's about all I value. If I had a family the would be number one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey are you guys married? Nobody said anything about the wife.
At least she could help you carry the guns if your arms are full of
others.
Wife
Kids
pets
photos
non replicable guns
I pray the best for you and your families.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I've got doubles of all my important photographs, a backup copy of my hard drive, and part of my gun collection at a relative's house. My valuable papers and family heirlooms are in a safe-deposit box. The damn dog never stays in the yard anyway, she won't even wait for us to evacuate. My kids are never home. I think I'll just stay home with a bag of marshmallows!

Bob...my thoughts and prayers are with you and all our members in harm's way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That would be a delimna, dilemna, dalima...problem for me too. After the family and pets are out, it would be between photos and some weapons. As important as some photos are, I have some weapons that I inherited form my dad that are equally important for sentimental reasons.

1. Pre-ban Colt CAR-15
2. S&W Highway Patrolman .357, his second duty weapon, (his first is with my mom.
3. A Colt Combat Commander in 9mm, given to me as a Christmas present from him.
4. my grandmothers deer rifle I inherited rom her.
5. plus several others

I only have a few thatI actually bought myself. 90% are inherited.
It would be a tough call, and a tougher loss if I couldn't get them out.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
AZ Husker said:
I've got doubles of all my important photographs, a backup copy of my hard drive, and part of my gun collection at a relative's house. My valuable papers and family heirlooms are in a safe-deposit box. The damn dog never stays in the yard anyway, she won't even wait for us to evacuate. My kids are never home. I think I'll just stay home with a bag of marshmallows!

Bob...my thoughts and prayers are with you and all our members in harm's way.
What would this place be like without Tracy?! Good humor. Great attitude. Wish you lived around here, my friend.

Damian

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Wow, that's a tough question to ask....

I once came home from a hunting trip to find my house burn't down. I lost everything! Luckily my family was safe, I had no idea what happened....... very scarey!

Good luck guys,
Jeff

·
Registered
334 Posts
Make sure you check your homeowners/renters insurance for limits on firearms. I had to more than double the firearms limits on my renters insurance through USAA with an additional rider.

Don't forget the "hidden" storage areas such as the spare tire well, if you have one, under and behind car seats, glovebox, consoles, small storage areas for jack, tire irons, etc... You can stash a lot more in your car than you might think.

Good luck to all, hopefully you won't have to get out. Right now Pensacola doesn't seem like such a bad place to be. Guess the humidity and rain keeps the fire danger down.

·
Premium Member
16,208 Posts
I sure feel for y'all out there in that Hellish mess. The 'late unpleasantness' we had (Hurricane Isabel) was a cakewalk compared to the firestorm yet raging out there. I would have a problem with the several (10 or 12) cases of ammo in a steel cabinet in the garage. It's way too heavy to move, and you can't carry around in your car but so much of it. I would take the old guns as priorities, figuring the newer ones easier to replace. So, I would take the 1953 commercial Gov Mod and leave the Beretta 92. Take the Luger and leave the Kel Tec. Take the M1 Carbine and leave the AKM. Etc. No matter what you take, if your home is destroyed you have lost a large part of your life. But, the key word is LIFE. You guys do what you must to survive this thing - there are plenty of guns to play with later. When I see whole blocks burned out on the news, the scope of the disaster really starts to sink in. I don't guess looting will be a problem, since there is apparently not much left to steal after the fire hits. I wish we could send you the rain we're getting right now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Let see:
kids
pets
firearms
kitchen table
chairs
toys
oh man I forgot the wife,but I dont think we would have room for her in the van.:confused: Actually she would be befor the kitchen table.:)
I hope that I and my family would never have to go through what some of you are going through in Cail.I hope you all make out alright.
Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts