1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smartholster.com/lashdraw.html

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

[This message has been edited by Lupey (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Oh, boy--mixed feelings on this.

If a person is willing to invest the practice time necessary to make the cocking motion second nature, and a conditioned reflex, then perhaps it would be a good idea. I kinda prefer the strong side carry straight draw, myself.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
"What do I think about that?"

Not much...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
From a quick scan through the website the exposed trigger and possibility of the pistol being cocked by a chair etc... when the wearer stands, sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cocking a pistol before a gun fight is bad,why give the bad guy any advantage.Personally I like the stealth mode.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
"Pump charging" the pistol in the holster is nothing new. In Chic Gaylord's book, THE HANDGUNNER'S GUIDE, there are photos of a USAF fellow who had practiced this extensively and was quick and reliable in this mode. (The same fellow had another technique wherein the "slapped" the slide rearward with a gloved weak hand to charge the piece.) This book is from the late 1950's or early 1960's.

We can all probably come up with several reasons why this is no forward step...it takes longer to respond, it shortchanges the user one round, and so forth. Another, less obvious, problem is that each time the shooter unholsters his pistol, he is loading the chamber (so far so good...if the situation calls for presenting a pistol, its chamber OUGHT to be loaded). Presume that the shooter unholsters his pistol (charging it in the process) and the situation develops such that no shooting is required. The suspects surrender or flee, the search comes up empty, or similar. Now, our shooter will have to diddle around with his pistol...clearing the chamber, replacing the ejected round back in the magazine...to place it back in the condition in which he is accustomed to carrying it. The likelyhood of an ND while fiddle-farting around with the pistol (in the immediate aftermath of a situation that was stressful enough to call for the pistol being drawn in the first place) seems quite high.

Cooper's classic dismissal of the DA auto as a "solution in search of a problem" seems to fit well here.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Its another gimmick. The company that started this is Phalanx Holsters.

A noted fact, firearms do not go off by themselves while setting in holsters, vaults, drawers. Exception to this is homebutchered safeties on any firearm.

From experience I can tell you that in 20+ yrs of packing a 1911 for duty, CCW, and competition with nearly a million rounds through several makes and models; condition one is safe. Glocks in condition one are safe, etc.

If you are that unsure or feel that inadequately trained, get some training, practice, and don't carry a handgun until you feel safe and are safe to others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts