1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking out my little .410 Yildiz SxS with my #8 handloads (and my Miroku Venture 12-ga O/U with factory #8s as backup in case I suck) :)

2 Mojo dove - one wind-driven, the other battery-powered.

So, whatcha all going to be doing?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I going to take my son hunting with his 20 ga pump and Im going to take my browning cynergy 20 ga OU. The next day we will take 20 ga auto remington 1100 and 12 ga remington 1100. the next day we may change again, but we will have fun. Oh yes and two brittany's to fetch birds.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Considering I finally picked up a 28" VR modified choke barrel for my Mossberg 500 (at a nice price too otherwise I wouldn't have) if I go that's probably what it will be. The 12 Ga Mossy. My shotguns seem to be barreled for social work. Now one can do both.

I'm ignoring the used Mossberg Silver Reserve competition model we have for sale at work. I try to ignore it as much as possible. If it had just a tad less LOP I might be in trouble though.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
I'll either use my Mossberg 500 or my Stevens 20 Deuce.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm taking my left handed Remington 1100 20 ga. with 26" improved cylinder and can't wait. Dove opener is always fun and especially with my 90 year old father; we do this and pheasant season in S.D. every year. Great times and even better memories!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
By the time the doves get down here, they have been shot at so much they are wearing O2 masks and nothing short of a stinger will reach them.
Wish I was back in Tennessee

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I used to be a pretty good dove shot. In the past couple of years, though, my shotgunning abilities have waned. I think it's probably due to the fact that I only go on a couple of dove shoots a year, when I used to go all the time.

Also, I'm severely left-eye dominant, and that's causing me more problems with wingshooting than with any of my other shooting.

I'll probably shoot my trusty SKB 26" Imp Cyl. 12 gauge this year.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My Lab just catches and kills them in the back yard. She has a knack for chasing them into the shop. When they try to escape through the screen window on the other side she sneaks up behind them and grabs them.

Feathers typically end up everywhere. She has no respect for hunting seasons...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I used to be a pretty good dove shot. In the past couple of years, though, my shotgunning abilities have waned. I think it's probably due to the fact that I only go on a couple of dove shoots a year, when I used to go all the time.

Also, I'm severely left-eye dominant, and that's causing me more problems with wingshooting than with any of my other shooting.

I'll probably shoot my trusty SKB 26" Imp Cyl. 12 gauge this year.
+1 for SKB I've got one I used in competitions for a while, sad they are no longer made.

You can train the eye-dominance issue out with a little work. Simply smudge your glasses so your left eye's vision is blurred (a piece of scotch tape works). Your brain will focus with the eye that can best see the target. You can also do this when doing other things. Have some Tylenol handy it will give you a headache at first. I have some co-dominance issues and it worked for me.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
+1 for SKB I've got one I used in competitions for a while, sad they are no longer made.

You can train the eye-dominance issue out with a little work. Simply smudge your glasses so your left eye's vision is blurred (a piece of scotch tape works). Your brain will focus with the eye that can best see the target. You can also do this when doing other things. Have some Tylenol handy it will give you a headache at first. I have some co-dominance issues and it worked for me.
My left-eye dominance is complicated by the fact that my right eye isn't good enough to use, should I succeed in training my right eye to be dominant. I injured my right eye 15-yrs-or-so-ago, when I let a 1911 recoil spring plug strike me squarely in the right eye. Wound up with a detached retina and some optic nerve damage. Yep, wasn't wearing safety glasses; using a new, plastic bushing wrench with which I couldn't feel the wrench engage the bushing. Learned my lesson the hard way!

I live in a prime dove shooting area and have access to lots of acreage...just don't shoot doves much these days.

When I grew up down heah on Tobaccy Road, my father and I hunted more than any father-son that I knew. Dad was a very young Superior Court Judge, and until the mid-70s, didn't have enough work to do, so we did a lot of hunting and fishing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts