1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what a good carry knife is at a reasonalbe price? I've seen a kershaw and some gerbers at my local walmart that appeared to be very well made knives.,are these good quality knives suited for defensive use? I'am looking for an assited opers or an auto opener or good quality. Last thing is when I say reasonable I mean maybe the $50-$100+ price range. Can I get a good tactical folder at this price?,I don't want to spend $450 for a knife but do I have to get a good quality folder? thanks

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Take a look at the Benchmade and/or Spyderco website. They offer good bang for the buck. You should be able to find something suitable without breaking the bank.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
I like Buck assisted opener's but you can't go wrong with a Kershaw.

Gerber has been kinda odd. They have copied other brands in a not so honorable way. I do not understand Gerber. See the CRKT Knives. Gerber thinks so much of CRKT they copied their designs.

· Registered
110 Posts
I can't say enought about the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Light enought to forget about in your dress slacks, great ergonomics, super fast axis locking system or thumb stud, and tons of blade style choices at an affordable price. Liked mine so much, I bought one for my new father-in-law for X-mas. I also have a CRKT M16 for weekend fun, etc., but the Mini-Griptilian is my primary EDC.:rock:

· Registered
177 Posts
Check out Knifemart, Knifeoutlet & Knifecenter. com. They have some really good knives in the $50-100 range. I carry from an assortment of a dozen or so knives from $20-$200 and out of all those I think the CRKT M-16's is one of the best designs for carry. It's pocket-clip is near the top, so most of the knife disappears in the pocket and the flipper feature makes it really fast to open, using your thumb or forefinger. The blade guard also protects your hand from slipping up the blade or having it close on you. I have some others I carry & like more, but most of them really stick out with an inch or more sticking out of the pocket. One of the Benchmades with the Axis lock is also a very good pick.

Also, check out the KaBar Dozier-design lockbacks for around $20. One of the big knife magazines rated them last year as the best under $50 knife on the market. Have one and have to agree.

· Hold my beer & watch this
5,567 Posts
CRKT M16.

The best prices I can find are from Grand Prairie Knives(gpknives.com). Lucky for me their showroom is right down the road from me!

· Registered
735 Posts
The best deal going right now is the Spyderco Natives that Wal-Mart Superstores (the ones with groceries) have just started selling for $39.XX. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377844&highlight=Native
These have the super edge holding S30V stainless steel, which is about the best knife steel there is. I've had a Griptillian and many other good knives and nothing compares to this Spyderco Native at this price.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Kershaws brother!!!

· Registered
145 Posts
"...good quality knives suited for defensive use? ...."

Exactly what situation do you expect to be in where you will use a knife for defense?
Most guys are better suited to carrying something practical like a Boy Scout knife, a Swiss Army knife, or a folding pliers like a Leatherman.
I have never been in a knife fight, and don't expect I ever will be, but in such a situation I would think grabbing the closest que stick, chair, steel pipe, garbage can lid, or just running makes more sense than trying to defend oneself with a knife. No offense, and this may not apply to you, but I think most guys who ask this question spend too much time daydreaming of a life more exciting than the one they actually live.

· Registered
95 Posts
arnie said:
"...good quality knives suited for defensive use? ...."

Exactly what situation do you expect to be in where you will use a knife for defense?
Most guys are better suited to carrying something practical like a Boy Scout knife, a Swiss Army knife, or a folding pliers like a Leatherman.
I have never been in a knife fight, and don't expect I ever will be, but in such a situation I would think grabbing the closest que stick, chair, steel pipe, garbage can lid, or just running makes more sense than trying to defend oneself with a knife. No offense, and this may not apply to you, but I think most guys who ask this question spend too much time daydreaming of a life more exciting than the one they actually live.
Personally, I carry a folder, a small Swiss Army knife AND either my Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool almost at all times. :rock:

· Registered
735 Posts
I missed the part about you're wanting a defensive knife.
I think you're better off getting a can of Fox Labs OC (pepper) spray than a "tactical" knife, and just get a regular knife like the Spyderco Native with the S30V blade at Wal-Mart for $40. Fox Labs OC (pepper) spray is quite effective as demonstrated in an account by some guy that posts over at AR15.com, wherein with one quick squirt he had his attacker groveling in his own pool of snot at his feet in Walgreens until the cops hauled him away. It was quite a dramatic account that sold me.

Most seem to like the 2oz with the flip top and a stream configuration, only $13 from this reputable dealer, Oh and get one of the inert 2oz flip top cans ($10) for practice too:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepper.htm

· Registered
293 Posts
I don't believe that you need to pay top dollar for a good knife. The tactical craze has done much for knife maker's bank accounts. I don't think you can go wrong with either mfg. I bought my brother their mini-multitool and it is well liked, used and appreciated. Personally, my carry knife if a Case Mini-Trapper. If I want something bigger, I go with a Russell Featherlight with the spearpoint. The Russell has done everything I've asked from open bags of coffee to cut a wounded deer's throat.

You might also want to look at the Spyderco Native, in a recent post. The light weight version is only $39. I don't have a serated knife and plan on getting this one myself.

tjg

Also missed the defensive part. I carry guns. I'm licensed to do so. A "tactical" knife can get you in trouble if it is too big or too aggressive. I think either of the knifes you mention are fine. I'll carry the Russell for defense or a Becker Necker, usually not on my neck. It is a fixed blade, which I prefer.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I always get a kick out of threads where people think makers get rich off knifemaking , some may make a comfy living but a custom knife is like a custom 1911 , sure we may not need one but sometimes you wanna reward yourself and carry something that will give you a bit more pride.

There are so many factory knives out there that are really raising the bar. I still like the timeless designs of the lockback multiblade folders , and a Buck 110 is still a darned good user.

Look into Kershaw and Benchmade and Buck , there are some great users for under $100. Sure my Edc knives are each over $200+ but not cause I need them to be , cause I want them to be.

look at it like this , you can carry a Norinco , Colt 1991a1 , Kimber , Les Baer , Yost or a Vickers.... a Norinco will do what most of us really need but the Yost or Vickers allows us to do it with major pride of ownership.

:rock:

· Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the replies I'am going to check out the above mentioned sites and see if I can't find something I like. Also being I have a carry permit from florida this means I'am legal to carry andy knife right? I mean even if its over a 3" blade or an auto opener? When I said defensive use I was referring to everyday carry use a knife always comes in handy I guess I worded it wrong,I'd always reach for my colt cobra snubbie or my 1911 which ever I'am carrying that day before a knife. I think I'am going to get some fox o.c. spray to because if I can avoid shooting someone in self defense OR bertter still if I have to defend myself I'd much rather hit him with the o.c. spray.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.