1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are these products used, BTW? Just spray on? Or, wipe on? How long do applications last?

Which one is better (and do you have the web address for Corrosion X)?

thnx...

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

·
Registered
802 Posts
http://www.corrosionx.com/ is the site.

I 've used Sheath for several years and had good results but recently bought a bunch of CorrosionX to try. Heard good reports about it here and elsewhere. It's similar to an oil and is applied by spray and wiped off leaving a slight film.

JSP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corrosion X

I have been using this product for several years and have found it to be my favorite rust preventative and lubricant. It leaves a film on all metal surfaces that lubricates extremely well. I have tried all of the oils and coatings you can imagine, both petroleum and natural based, and I think this is the best there is.

www.corrosionx.com

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been using CorrosionX for a number of years. I have an 18' Aluminum boat and mud motor which I use in salt water. When I pull the boat it all gets rinsed with "salt-away". When I get back home the entire engine and the transom area gets sprayed with CorrosionX but I don't even wipe it off. I have even been spraying the skeet machines at the end of the season and they stay perfect for the 6 months till we start shooting again, and their houses are right next to a large body of salt water.
OH, it took me a while til I convinced a marine supply to order a case. The word spread and he now stocks it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Actually, this (Corrosion-X) is one of the very few products out there that actually work well as a wipe down for rust prevention. I generally use G-96 Gun Treatment for that use but honestly think Corrosion-X works as well as far as rust prevention for guns are concerned and does have the advantage that it is also a very good lubricant and is a lot better than G-96 for general gun lubrication use. G-96 is a better general cleaner for guns than Corrosion-X in my experience.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
I use CorrosionX on anything metal. I tested it on some heavily corroded (rusted) steel and after a week of it been soaking on the corroded steel, it turned the corrosion in to good black metal.

I tried it on my garage door. It was making some very bad noise because the lubricant the installer used was collection dirt on the rollers and lost its lubricity. I removed them, cleaned the parts and sprayed CorrosionX on all the moving parts. Two years later and used every day, the thing works as good as it did the day I sprayed it on! It is a very good lubricant.

It works, and works very well.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I've used Barricade for years.
I've never had a gun rust on me.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Corrosion X

Got my first can from the inventor/founder when playing golf, nearly 20 years ago. I use it on all my firearms (even the wood stocks), and have had zero corrosion or "mold" issues since. I now use it all all metals exposed to the atmosphere, including combination locks, door hinges, etc. with no issues. They are even using it at a power plant for specialty transformers (it's non-conducting).

A great product.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got my first can from the inventor/founder when playing golf, nearly 20 years ago. I use it on all my firearms (even the wood stocks), and have had zero corrosion or "mold" issues since. I now use it all all metals exposed to the atmosphere, including combination locks, door hinges, etc. with no issues. They are even using it at a power plant for specialty transformers (it's non-conducting).

A great product.
It's funny when my mud motor came in from Louisiana in the operating directions they speced out corrosionX to use. That was years ago and being close to the great state of Texas it caught on there first. I use on long term storage of firearms as well.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
CorrosionX is bio degradable and healthy for the environment too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Amazon sells it. If you are a prime member, shipping is free. I got some about a month ago and it appears to be as advertised. Also got some heavy duty, haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
CorrosionX is bio degradable and healthy for the environment too.
Not so sure that is exactly correct. While their website states that it "is nontoxic, non-carcinogenic, and it's non flammable when not in aerosol form", it also states that, "The volatile organic content (usually abbreviated as VOC or VOCs) of CorrosionX is only 4-7%." And they compare it to WD-40. From the label it also contains petroleum distillates. So I wouldn't go so far as to say it is bio degradable and healthy for the environment, along the lines of Froglube or FIREclean, but rather stick to their web site info that claims it "is not Harmful to the environment".

That being said I just got some to try on my blued guns since moving to Florida where rust seems to be a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have used the product for years now and am very happy with it. My sweat is very corrosive and I don`t have any corrosion problems with it.

Lucky

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have used CorrosionX on surface rust areas after "removing" the rust. Rust has never reappeared after periodic wipings with CorrosionX. I have a couple of items which I lightly cleaned, applied CorrosionX one time only and the rust has never resurfaced after a year or so. I recommend it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts