1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this when I was checking the pistol for function with a loaded magazine.

Am I doing something wrong?? Should I load 1 round in the mag first, load the mag, cycle the slide, then drop the mag, load the mag, then load the pistol???

I'm not sure what's causing this to happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was using factory ammo, as I don't reload. As a practice I generally do not load/reload the pistol when carrying to inside the house.

The picture was the first example, the second time I did it was with a new round. Seems as chambering the round with a full mag isn't helping. Seems as I need to load a mag with one round, release the slide, then drop mag, load mag, insert mag.

When releasing the slide I could feel a difference between the two ways: loading from a full count loaded mag, and loading from a single count loaded mag.

Not to mention I found a site that showed the difference in a 185gr round to 230gr bullet as it sits in the case.

I don't think I ever had this problem with my SA loading rounds from a full mag. I was using 230gn rounds for that pistol. When I get back home I'll be double checking this ammo in the SA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since I have reloaded .45 acp for years, it looks like the case still has a little flare to the case mouth. If this is a factory load then it appears to be a manufacturing error. I would contact the manufacturer and talk to them about it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Send that photo to whoever manufactured that round. That is a dangerously defective product. Was that round chambered more than ONE time or multiple times? If you are chambering rounds more than one time you must stop doing that with factory ammo. Factory ammo being sold today was NEVER intended to be chambered more than one time. Full mag/empty mag makes no difference here. The case has nowhere near enough tension to hold the bullet in placeas it is being chambered. This is a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When looking up bullet setback I'm sure it's the ammo, as well as other factors. That round pictured was only chambered once...not several times.

When I load the magazine (or other mags I have) with a single round, there's not an issue, or al least not without caliper measurements to confirm. With a fully loaded mag the issue will present with loading the single round one time. Add to that it seems as people say the lower 185gn HP bullets don't have the "nose ramp" that the 230gn rounds do for an "assist" with running into the chamber properly.

What doesn't make sense is if I never unloaded the pistol I would never have know of the issue. People were warning the case pressure created by this issue "could" be detrimental. So I could have racked off several mags not the wiser. Maybe there would have been a problem, maybe not.

Not to mention some people were saying to "sling shot" the slide versus using the slide release. As well people were saying the normal slide function when firing would not create an issue leading to bullet setback due to the kinetics of the action.

With all that I found after looking up this issue with 1911's I'm comfortable with knowing what this is and how this may be happening. So since I have a S&W PC revolver I'll use these specific rounds in that pistol. When I get back home I'll try loading a different round for use with the 1911, most likely a 230gn round.

Thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate the shared knowledge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more reason to prefer revolvers!!
I LOVE my S&W PC wheel gun!! Thing is huge and works awesome.

Got home and checked my ammo I have used in the other 1911.....YEA....the bullet shape is a HUGE difference. These rounds will go to the revo, and this S&W will get the other rounds.

Thanks again to all that replied. Seems as there are some rounds that are not a good choice for use in a 1911.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I found this when I was checking the pistol for function with a loaded magazine.

Am I doing something wrong?? Should I load 1 round in the mag first, load the mag, cycle the slide, then drop the mag, load the mag, then load the pistol???

I'm not sure what's causing this to happen.
bad crimp in last stage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to break it you people but this was not 100% an ammo problem. When comparing the bullet shape to a 230gn HP round there's a significant difference. To the point when you study up about the aggressive feed ramp of the 1911 you can see how this happened.

Is it a single 1911 "fault"....no: Cause there is other ammo that feeds just fine.
Is it a single ammo "fault"..no: Cause the ammo will feed in other weapons that use 45ACP.

When you combine the two into one situation......the fault appears.
Just use ammo that has a larger cone/dome compared to what I used that has a bit more taper.

·
Registered
990 Posts
[...]
To the point when you study up about the aggressive feed ramp of the 1911 you can see how this happened.
[...]
Very interesting! I hadn't ever heard anyone talk about "the aggressive feed ramp of the 1911" before. Is it a steeper SLOPE than other semi-auto's? In particular, is that perhaps why Glocks seem to be more reliable than 1911's? Also, is the aggressive feed ramp of 1911's applicable to both barrel-mounted and frame-mounted feed ramps?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it a steeper SLOPE than other semi-auto's? In particular, is that perhaps why Glocks seem to be more reliable than 1911's? Also, is the aggressive feed ramp of 1911's applicable to both barrel-mounted and frame-mounted feed ramps?/QUOTE]

The discussion I found wasn't that specific regarding barrel-mounted or frame-mounted. Nor was it so uber scientific to give very specific details compared to other pistol designs and manufacturing techniques.

Considering there are many ways to skin a cat it's going to take a spreadsheet to map it all out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compared to what was having "issues" and what works for me, you can see the differences in shape of the nose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The taper on the nose of the Hornady round (first pictured) was being driven into the feed ramp and not able to ride along the feed ramp.

Whereas the second pictured round is able to ride along the ramp easier therefore not being forced into a "setback" situation.

That's how I understand it. Not to mention I wondered why I never had this "issue" before. When inspecting all my other 45ACP rounds they were shaped more like the second pictured round. Much more rounded nose.

Of course none of this matters with my S&W revo, so I just swapped the other ammo off the moon clips, and loaded up the Hornady on the moon clips. Finally done and happy to know more about my issue than a few days ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bullet Setback
Do you load and unload often? That is usually when it occurs.
Maddog meant "do you load and unload the gun often", not do you reload bullets often. Bullet setback is a common occurrence when you are constantly loading and unloading the same bullets in the same gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I addressed that already as I wanted people to know I do not hand load ammo.

It's crazy cause this never happens when I load/unload my S&W Wheel pistol....LOL

Have I seen it before?? Yes, I spent plenty time in the military with rifles. There were times when this happened. I never knew what it was called here in the community. I've never experienced it before in any my other auto pistols nor my other 1911.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Have you tried pushing the bullet in by finger pressure against a solid object like a workbench?

It should be very difficult to impossible to push the bullet into the case. When talking to the manufacturer they likely will ask.

Do you have access to calipers to measure finished diameter at the case mouth?

Bullets don't really "slide" up the fed ramp it is more like a carom or bounce upward as the slide moves forward into battery.

Smiles,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts