1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 1911's. Just picked up a Kimber Elite. What is the stock trigger pull? How easy is it to modify? Is this something a gun smith must do or a DIY?

Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think your stock trigger pull is around 4.5 lbs.

You can lighten your trigger pull some by replacing the mainspring (hammer spring) with a lighter mainspring. If you go too light on the mainspring though, you could get hammer follow (the hammer drops as the slide moves forward). Replacing this spring is relatively easy and something you can definately do. I'm pretty sure your current mainspring is 23#. I personally don't like to go below 19# .

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_springs_main.asp

A lighter sear spring will reduce the pull some as well (available from Cylinder & Slide). This is also something you can easily do.

- "CS094 - C&S 1911 Light Pull Sear Spring
Reduces the trigger pull approximately 1.5lb while maintaining a safe spring pressure"

Adding a reduced power mainspring and a reduced power sear spring together could potentially cause hammer follow as well. Getting the proper combination could take some trial and error.

The best way in my opinion to lighten the trigger pull is to replace the stock 'trigger pull' parts (sear, disconnector, hammer, mainspring, searspring) with a drop in group from Cylinder & Slide or Nowlin. These are regarded as excellent kits and will give you creep free trigger pulls at their advertised pull weight with almost no fitting. This is something you can do as well.

CPTB

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tagroup

The information CPTBreaker gave you is pretty much correct. Though depending on the model of "Elite" you have the factory trigger pull may be lighter. As CPT mentioned the high end of the stock trigger pull of a base Kimber is 4.5 lbs, though the low end may be 4.0 lbs. In some of the upper end pistols the trigger pull may be as low as 3.75 lbs.

So my recommendation to you, particularly since you are new to the 1911, is to not change anything and shoot your pistol with the stock trigger pull so you can get used to it. If your Kimber's trigger pull is in the 4.0 - 4.5 lb range it is pretty much perfect for any use except competitve target shooting, and it is not bad for that. The reason there are so many parts available to adjust the trigger pull weight of a 1911 is, most manufacturers are afraid of law suits so they install parts in most of thier pistols that result in a 5.5 - 7.0 lb trigger pull. In my experience almost all Kimbers have very good trigger pulls and modification is not necessary.

So shoot your pistol as it came out of the box for a few thousand rounds before you decide to make any changes. More than likely it will not need any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts