1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use will be serious range time, fun and IF needed......

I am interested in accuracy and reliability.

Thanks,

P

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lot of options out there
I picked up a Colt CCG on Grabagun for $879+ 5.99 shipping .
Springfield Range Officer is a great option!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
You've opened Pandora's box :) Expect answers from all over the spectrum as 'best' is a very subjective concept. My personal recommendations: Colt, Springfield, S&W, in no specific order. All offer exceptional models well below $1k. Whether a Series 70 Colt, an E-Series S&W or a SA Range Officer, you won't be disappointed. Accuracy and reliability, in my experience, are on par across the three makes. The key is to handle each of the models you're interested in before you buy a particular one. Only you can decide which one feels better in your hand - and yes, you will notice differences in feel. By doing that you can also assess things like how frontstrap checkering feels or which sight options work best for you. It really does come down to first-hand experience with each model.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A very strong vote for the Springfield Range Officer. With almost any decent ammo it will group less than 2" @25 yd and 1" with stuff it llikes.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I can vouch for the Springfield Range Officer as a good pistol.

On any given Sunday at my buddies range, you'll find 3-5 of them shooting.

They're accurate. They're dependable. They're under $1k.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Now for the low end of the scale price wise $4-500 depending on the model I have the Tisas ZigM 1911 your basic no frills 1911 well made good finish sights not the greatest shots hit about 4" below POA runs well with 230gr ball, really just the basic's and my 2 cents. as previously mentioned you're gonna get a lot different opinions on this subject so brace yourself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
UNDER a thousand? There are WAY too many to list here. Some are better than others but most in that price range are not going have any hand fitted parts. My advice would be to up your limit by 100 bux or so and check out the STI Trojan. Considering your stated use (serious range time and fun), and your interest in accuracy and reliability, you simply cannot get "more" 1911 for the money.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Please close. This has been hashed out so many times, that unless Bourbon is involved, it's a waste of time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seen both of these on GunBroker for $999 brand new recently.

Wiley Clapp 1911 GOV

OR

Dan Wesson Heritage

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'll take a Kimber TLE over anything mentioned so far, but that's just me. The differences in the best brands are subtle and most people don't shoot enough to understand them anyway. You will be delighted with whatever you buy. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Please close. This has been hashed out so many times, that unless Bourbon is involved, it's a waste of time.
Yet, you were intrigued enough to click in to the thread and see what was being said! Enjoy your Taurus and your bourbon...but not together please. :)

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
A ton to chose from and I don't think many are going to be bad although you may like some better than others. Go to a well stocked gun store and look at a bunch. Down here ranges rent either SA Range Officers or Ruger SR1911s so renting and trying might be an option for you.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Right now it's a Colt. Last year it wasn't, next year, probably not.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So as to not be a waste, here you go...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.