1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
461 - 480 of 2890 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
There wasn't much pistol waving in Saving Private Ryan........but.....I loved it at the end when Tom Hanks was shooting at the Panzer tank with his 1911 and as he fired his last round the bazooka hit the tank and blew it up.:rock:
I thought it was a fighter plane that then passed over after the tank blew up, but then again we didn't see the plane fire on it. I just assumed and you know what they say about that.:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
while most segal movies dont rate real high and i dont like gun abuse, there is one of his where he runs his 1911 dry and upon seeing that he ditches it and draws a second gun...

at least it wasnt a bottomless magazine...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hope no one laughs me out of the 1911 community for this. I graduated HS in 1980. I used to listen to Pat Benatar before football games. Well anyway this is not a movie BUT my dtr found Pat Benatar videos on You Tube and i was watching Shadows of the night and believe it or not they had a 1911 in it and one of the good guys was pointing it at a bad guy and believe it or not the hammer was back. A music video got right what so many movies get wrong. As always Pat was nice to look at.

Len

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Road to Perdition would be my pic. It is set back in time in the days of Al Capone classic movie.
Someone mentioned Windtalkers if thats the one with Nick Cage man that was a dud. I feel asleep trying to watch it 3 times finally gave up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Street Kings is definately worth a look. Not top honors, but an honorable mention.

It opens with him press checking his 1911 (which looks basic apart from the stainless extended slide release, ambi safety, and target sights). It looked well used, but well kept. Not some show piece straight out of the box.

In the first gun scene, his arm is off camera after he draws but the foley artists still remembered to put in the sound of him taking it off safe (I like those sort of details), he shoots three guys (I saw at least one mozambique, maybe it was all three), the reload came after 9 rounds, his reload looked good from where he was, the sounds were good for what I expect a 1911 would sound like in a house with no hearing protection on (never done that). His grip could use some work. It looked like he was trained by someone who favors thumb over thumb and doesn't ride the safety...but at least he was trained ;) (a debate for other threads).

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I agree with Street Kings. Judging by recent pics of the SIS guys and gals shooting their 1911s, he was doing it "correctly", IE as currently taught by those organizations. LAPD folks, chime in...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kudos to James Cameron for bringing the long slide back in Terminator 2 (Sarah Conner blasts Miles Dyson with it).
IINM, that was a Detonics Servicemaster.

Already been mentioned? the Hunt for Red October? Jack Ryan blew away Tomas Arana (Quintus from Gladiator) with a 1911. Pretty cool shot too. :rock:
"Some things in here don't react well to bullets."

This acts as countramand to films like Lethal Weapon where a 92FS 9mm acts to symbolize difference between the new guard and the Old Guard (Glover and his traditional .38 snubnose detective special).
I believe that was actually a S&W M19. ("four-inch Smith")

Anybody see Dead Presidents? In the armored car robbery scene, the chick pops out of the dumpster with 1911's in both hands, blazing away...until she gets herself kilt.

Nine-fingered Tom Berenger used a bg's LAR Grizzly in Sniper.

Didn't Steve McQueen have a 1911 in The Bounty Hunter?

Here's a website with lots of gun/movie info:

www.imfdb.org

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
IINM, that was a Detonics Servicemaster.

"Some things in here don't react well to bullets."

I believe that was actually a S&W M19. ("four-inch Smith")

Anybody see Dead Presidents? In the armored car robbery scene, the chick pops out of the dumpster with 1911's in both hands, blazing away...until she gets herself kilt.

Nine-fingered Tom Berenger used a bg's LAR Grizzly in Sniper.

Didn't Steve McQueen have a 1911 in The Bounty Hunter?

Here's a website with lots of gun/movie info:

www.imfdb.org
Yep, McQueen used what looked like a basic USGI 1911 in The Bounty Hunter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
In "Street kings", the main guy carries either a S&W OR a 1911. There is no back and forth in the same scene. It appeard to me that he carried the 4506 "on duty" and the man gun when when he was either off duty of off the books. I think this was done, of course, on purpose.
I loved the fact that he decocked the SW. I don't think I have EVER seen that in a movie before.
His 1911 (thank God) was far from basic. It was about as stepped up as it can get. To me, that added to the realism. He is a modern day gunfighter. I'm sure, like many others, he wouldn't want granddad's 1911.

461 - 480 of 2890 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.