1911Forum banner

What's the best 1911 Pistol on the market today?

42K views 58 replies 42 participants last post by  cenglish 
#1 ·
I'm not trying to start trouble here but I'd like to learn what others believe to be the best 1911 pistol on the market today? If money were no object, what make and model would be the most desirable?

#2 ·
What's the best car money can buy?

What's the best guitar?

What's the best computer?

See where this is going? It all depends on what you want, what you like, what you need, what you plan to use it for. You will need to narrow your parameters juuuusssttt a little bit for us to answer that loaded question!!!

The short answer is: It's the one you see in the case that makes you go "Oooo," and then you pick it up, it seems to just melt into your hand and you go "Ahhhh,". You look at the price tag and you don't say "Ouch,". You take it to the range and it just keeps getting better. Your grin is so wide and permanent your face starts to hurt. You actually feel guilty that you have found such a great gun. After a few months of carrying it by your side it feels like an old friend.

That is the best gun money can buy. For some it's a Wilson. For some it's a Kimber. For some it's a Valtro. Brown. Colt. SA. Norinco. S&W. DW..........

Now if you tell us a little about what you want to do with it we can narrow it down to some choices for you to look into. Do you plan to carry it? Range gun? Competition?

There is a gun for everyone. All of them have their pros and cons. Go to each forum and you will find folks that love theirs and folks that are not happy - no matter how much they paid for them!

Hope this helped, but probably didn't! Sorry!

Methos

#4 ·
I have three 1911's right now. SW1911, Colt Combat Elite, Colt CCO. The SW1911 is the pistol I could not live with out. Smith and Wesson did a tremendous job with this pistol. It is accurate, durable and dependable. The price is right and the quality and performance are outstanding. The Colt CCO is my newest 1911 and is a great carry gun. I carry my CCO everyday, but I shoot my SW1911 every time I go to the range. If I could only have one, the SW1911 is my pistol, but life is good and I hope I never live in a country where one 1911 is my limit.:D

#6 ·
if you dont have a lot of cash i suggest a new armscor.i have one and like it alot,i was skeptical at first of it but it came with all the mods done,fully raced up etc,all the bells and whistles.they also make a stock gi 1911A1 as well if you dont like bells and whistles.theyre warranty and turnaround time is good and they got a fine gunny in the nevada shop by way of brian who is very good from a number of people i am told.mine missed q-c and had to go back but i will pick her up this week at the shop.kudos to the armscor folks/

#8 ·
Sort of a tie between Ed Brown's top one, Les Baer's top of the line, the Springfield Armory Pro, the SVI/STI competition guns, the Rock River Arms, or Wilson Combat top of the line guns.

Valtro might be in this category, but I personally haven't seen one, and don't like how the roll-mark looks, not nearly as classy as the rest in this bunch, that's only my subjective opinion.

I think these are all on a tier at least a little bit higher than the Colts, Kimbers (yes, even the Super Match) or other Springfield models, in either materials or workmanship, or both.

Norinco, Rock Island, Wessons (Dan or Smith), Charles Dalys, Auto-Ordnance are definitely on a lower tier than the Colt/Kimber/SA standard guns.

Like said before, which one depends on your taste and what you want to do with it. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

And, anything in the middle or higher can be elevated to the top, top tier by a very good gunsmith.

#14 ·
Like AZ Husker said, the one that ain't in my gun safe. But, in truth, the best 1911 for me or Tracy or you might not be the best 1911 for somebody else. And sometimes the "best" 1911 is the one you have at hand when things get noisy, confusing and more than a little exciting, even if it isn't the one you might consider "best" at other times.

And the original question brings up the second question, "for what?" The best 1911 for bullseye shooting may not be the best one for IPSC or IDPA or pins.

MOO, YMMV, VWP, ONVIAS, NWEI, CCBS, and Tttaf

#15 ·
Jim V said:
Like AZ Husker said, the one that ain't in my gun safe. But, in truth, the best 1911 for me or Tracy or you might not be the best 1911 for somebody else. And sometimes the "best" 1911 is the one you have at hand when things get noisy, confusing and more than a little exciting, even if it isn't the one you might consider "best" at other times.

And the original question brings up the second question, "for what?" The best 1911 for bullseye shooting may not be the best one for IPSC or IDPA or pins.

MOO, YMMV, VWP, ONVIAS, NWEI, CCBS, and Tttaf
If the intended use is Self Defense, I don't think there is any
better pistol than Springfield Professional.

My Valtro has adjustable target sights and for that reason I
would recommend Springfield Pro over my beloved Valtro.

Cheers,

Jae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.