1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first Colt, a 91NRM Blued commander, and I want to get a new finish in the future.(after a few mods) I need something that can handle weather and holster wear while looking kick @zz as it does now. What is the absolute best (as far as wear and moisture resistent) finish out there, any opinions??? Also what does Colt offer as far as custom finishes?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If you like black check out Birdsong's Black T. If shiny is your thing, hard to go wrong w/Tripp and his hard chrome. These are 2 of many quality finishes out there but I've seen both of these when new & after years of service & they both really hold up. No idea what the factory offers. Good luck, personalizing a pistol is almost as much fun as shooting it!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with Doc's choices. There is no 1 perfect finish for the use you describe. For weather issues I'd pick Black-T and for holster wear I'd go with Tripp's hard chrome. Don't think I helped much, but like I said, there is no perfect-fit all conditions finish.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
As you can see, there is no single finish that's the BEST for corrosion protection AND for wear resistance. And the third factor is looks...

So what's your biggest issue, corrosion? wear? looks? You've been given good advice for best corrosion resistance (Black-T or other spray and bake finishes like Roguard) and on wear resistance (hard chrome). Which do you prefer the looks of and do you expect more problems plaguing you in the form of corrosion or physical wear?

If you like the dark look and don't have much in the way of rust or sweat-induced corrosion issues, I'd reblue it myself. If you like the bright white look... go hard chrome. But if you are in a high-rust/corrosion environment or have corrosive perspiration, definitely Black-T.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
After once again looking at all of the available finishes for a custom project, I think the best compromise finish is hard chrome coupled with a weekly application of Renaissance Wax. The hard chrome provides the abrasion resistance and a degree of self-lubricity, and the wax seals the base metal against moisture. I would use Renaissance Wax as regular carnuba wax has been shown to create a corrosive byproduct. Renaissance Wax was developed for the British Museum to preserve its collection; as such, care was taken to make sure the wax does not cause damage.

Unlike most waxes, the build-up on the metal surfaces is very thin, and the wax can be applied to natural grip materials such as ivory.

It is available through Brownells. A can is expensive, but one can should last years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I really don't want hard chrome, I would have bought a stainless if I liked them light. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this will be my first build up 1911. I'm not going to do much, change out the mainspring housing and that grip safety (just doesn't feel right). I will be useing this as a CCW during the winters and taking it out with me hunting, and of course, shooting the crap out of it (that's why I bought a Colt). I LOVE the look of the blueing but I don't want it to look like crap a year from now. I really don't know what is out there as far as finishes go (I'm new to the custom thing) and I thought I would just save MONTHS of research and ask you guys. I really would like to stay away from bead blasting the flats, I like the shiny dark look. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The parts you say you will replace can be replaced with blue parts that very closely match your Colt's original blue finish. use it like that for a couple of years. If you keep it clean and oiled the blue will stay nice a long time. Maybe after it gets some normal wear you will like the "character" and not want a refinish.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Knowing you want dark, I agree with RandyColt... leave it as is and use it for a year or two, then decide if you want to do a finish change. If you handle the gun with care and keep it well maintained, blue can last well and look awesome many years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.