1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many people say stay clear of new Kimbers due to quality control issues. Is this an internet thing or really something to worry about still? I'm interested in a Kimber Custom TLE II as I like the looks and features. But, I don't want a jam-o-matic or other problems given the price I expect to pay for one. This will be my first 1911.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I have had - NO - problems with any of mine. I got one of the Pro Carry in 9MM and it had one early lock-back and one FTF in the first magazine. ZERO problem since. I also have a few in 45 with no problems.

Based on what I see - no, Kimber does NOT have a quality issue. I'll easily believe that some of the people that wish they had purchased a Kimber may try to cut them down in jealous manner, but other than that, no. :)

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Sprue you...I thought that was a dead topic! :(

·
Banned
721 Posts
I guess that depends on how highly you value the comments from the top 1911 smiths and trainers.

Aubrey W Bogard
Kimber Warrior No Longer Recommended?

I see that the Warrior is no longer on the "Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use" recommended list. I'm curious what issues might have evolved to account for this (?).
The answers:
Tim Lau
Administrator

Hilton is out of pocket at the moment, so I will answer this one. We began comparing notes on the Warriors that Hilton and I have come across over the past year or so and discovered that neither of us have encountered one that has run reliably out of the box. The issues stem from a variety of causes, to include (but is not limited to) chamber dimensions, feed ramp/barrel throat geometry, ignition parts quality (or lack thereof), extractor issues, and slide stop problems make the gun more trouble than it is worth. This does not mean the Warrior cannot be made into a pretty nice blaster, but the work involved can be (and is usually) extensive. To top it all off, the annoying blackened stainless parts, sometimes including the slide and/or frame, further limits refinishing options.
Tim Lau
Administrator

Kimber has been plagued with the FTF and/or failure to go into battery problems for a long time. One thing a gunsmith or savvy armorer can do to help alleviate this problem (among a slew of other fixes that are many times necessary) is to check the headspace and ream the chamber to SAAMI spec. Kimber chambers are typically so tight that I have to pound the pilot in with a mallet.

Ed, if your smiths have not done this to your Kimber, it is likely the cause of your remaining Feeding/Chambering issues.

Tim
Larry Vickers

I agree with what is being said here - Ken Hackathorn and I have seen the same exact issues that Tim is mentioning - the Warrior has fleas straight from the box

The worst one I have seen to date was a gun that Ned Christiansen and I both worked on at different times and was still a jamamatic - when that happens to you that gun needs to go away

In addition I always felt the Warrior was way overpriced for what it is; combine that with some obvious problems and it screams stay away

Cheers

Larry Vickers

http://www.vickerstactical.com
Tim Lau
Administrator

The symptoms you describe are not uncommon at all with the Warriors. It is not the magazine that is causing false lockbacks with your pistol. The slide stop is unstable, and may also need reprofiling to clear it for rounds left in the magazine AND the magazine itself. EVERY Kimber I've come across needs its chamber reamed.

As for the magwell dimensions, I can't speak for all of them, but the ones I have measured were dimensionally consistent. They still didn't work out of the box, but at least they had THAT going for them...

Tim
Tim Lau
Administrator

Here is the bottom line: the early Kimber Warriors that I have worked on for my fellow cops, who purchased them to carry on duty, required very minor changes in order to be fit for duty. Hilton had reported similar results from his bench. Unfortunately, it seems that QC has recently gotten worse and more issues have cropped up across the board. Hilton and I noticed the trend, and a recent conversation with Larry Vickers (and others) further confirmed our suspicions. That is the reason for the change in endorsement.
Link

If you don't know who Yam, Vickers, Lau and Hackthorn are... well... nevermind. :)

Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a TRP.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
TRP??? I'm a strong SOB, but still have trouble racking one of those bad boys! :)
Find an early (Pre-II) Kimber and be done with it, or save your pennies and jump into a Brown.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've never been known as one of the bigger Kimber supporters, but my "lack of faith" has come as a direct result of the external extractor and series II models. Now that Kimber has switched back to internals, I think they are on the right track. And several models are available with no series II "junk", so I feel they are worth taking a look at. QC can vary from pistol to pistol from every company out there. That's why I personally never order a gun, i prefer to see and handle the exact pistol i am buying.
AZ, while I agree that TRPs are usually a very tight and well fit pistol (as is my MC Operator, btw), I've never seen one that was that hard to rack. I don't see that as any real difference between a Springer and Kimber. And finally, Full Auto, I can't believe you missed another chance to post more pics of your 'oerfect TRP" versus broken down Kimbers!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a Stainless II about 6 months ago and have had NO problems with it at all. It has only had my reloads through it.
I have never shot a pre-series II model so I can't vouch for the safety issues but I can't tell mine is there. The gun will way out shoot me any day of the week.
Mine does have the internal extractor by the way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Kimber has been problem free so far and I think the fit and finish are great.
There does seem to be a lot of "Kimber quality threads on this site" but I am not sure why. Maybe it's the boys who own other makes and post them to bring down the Kimber!!

·
Banned
721 Posts
My Kimber has been problem free so far and I think the fit and finish are great.
There does seem to be a lot of "Kimber quality threads on this site" but I am not sure why. Maybe it's the boys who own other makes and post them to bring down the Kimber!!
DARN, BUSTED!!!11!!!1 It's a conspiracy! Right after Clinton left office the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy guys had to find something else to focus on, and it was Kimber. Now the cat's out of the bag...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny! The reason I say that is because when I look and read on other makes there are posts made about a problem with that particular gun or this particular gun but seldom do you see these "Quality issue polls" or "who has a bad such and such" like you do on the Kimber pages. Just seems odd to me that every few days it seems like someone is posting about Kimber quality in general instead of a certain problem with their own gun.
As far as Clinton leaving office.......according to yesterdays news ..Clinton(s) could be back!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a CDP II Compact, it's given me quite a bit of grief. After two trips to Kimber it seems to have smoothed up a bit, but I'm not overly confident in it.

The last range session I had 2 jams out of a 100.

For for an almost $1200 pistol that is supposed to be reliable enough for CCW, It's been a dissapointment, and knowing what I know now, I'd go with something different.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nothing like a few quotes from some "Sacred Cows"...... :biglaugh:
Never met anyone who really knew anything that was not extremely opionated. I feel that most of the really big sacred cows have hidden agendas like getting their pockets greased by gun companies or building custom guns. I recommend you listen well to what they say and fold their ideas into your own decision. Based on listening to military national match gun builders for 20 years I was a Pre Series 70 or earlier Colt or Springfield snob for decades. I bought my first Kimber about 5 years ago. Never did bite on the external extractor idea.... Now days I look at Kimber FIRST... :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Funny! The reason I say that is because when I look and read on other makes there are posts made about a problem with that particular gun or this particular gun but seldom do you see these "Quality issue polls" or "who has a bad such and such" like you do on the Kimber pages. Just seems odd to me that every few days it seems like someone is posting about Kimber quality in general instead of a certain problem with their own gun.
As far as Clinton leaving office.......according to yesterdays news ..Clinton(s) could be back!
When I first started coming here, a little over 5 years ago, I don't think you ever saw Kimber "Quality issue polls." That was because the pre-Series II's were the only Kimbers, and the production gun to beat. Kimber got big, rested on its laurels, and started putting out pistols that were inferior in workmanship and quality to the old ones. Knowing this, I bought a like new Compact Stainless a little over a year ago for about $675 from an online auction. Brand new Series II's were going for more.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My .02 worth - there are a number of postings here on QC and such with Kimbers. These people don't put their posts here for their benefit. They feel like the product they got was not up to par. It is up to us to read them and decide if that input relates to us. Some of the quibbles are minor and I discount them, some are bonafide and need to be take into consideration.
I have a new CDP II. This is my first 1911 Kimber and it is flawless. Finish is perfect, fit is up to Kimber quality- very good, Not a Wilson or Baehr, but very good. I have put nearly 200 rounds through the pistol to date with no FTF's. I have had 2 times where I had to push the slide forward 1/8" to come into battery. This may be the result of a new pistol syndrome or it may need a closer look.
Two things I am not realy excited about are, the plastic rear grip [can't think of what it is called] and the new safety. HOWEVER, I bought the pistol knowing those things were there and ther has not be a moments grief with them.
You can have problems with just about any pistol, look them over carefully before buying, make sure you can send it back easily and make sure you can find a live person to comlain to if you have problems.
As for me, I am happy with my Kinber.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Nothing like a few quotes from some "Sacred Cows"...... :biglaugh:
Those "sacred cows" stand to lose more money by speaking out against Kimber (whom they endorsed until their fairly recent drastic quality decline) than they stand to gain. It's silly to suggest they're doing it to line their pockets with money.

These "sacred cows" see more 1911's in a year than you've probably seen in your entire life. They also work on them, build them, and know them better than most people posting here (myself included). To dismiss them and their comments out of hand and to insult them by calling them "sacred cows" is ignorance at its finest.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bad news

If Clinton or any other democrat assumes the office of the President. Kimbers QC issues will be the least of our problems.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Touche' there Full Auto! Don't pretend to know who I am or what I might be.. AND DON'T quote me out of context. Open your eyes! You can correct ignorance. Stupidity is permanent.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I have two buddies that own Kimber customs, one built around 2001 the other in 2007, both are great guns with absolutely no problems and to be honest they tend to outshoot my own personal Colts.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts