1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are some people so anal about posting pics of their 1911 with the serial number visible? I mean, it's not like someone can do a whole lot if they know the serial number. There's still records of you purchasing the pistol. Are people just being paranoid or is there a legitimate risk when people post their serial number online?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
If you build your own guns you could maybe order a reciver with a custom number with the same number as somebody else in some shape or form, I don't know. I don't really think its a good idea to let anyone know my serial numbers of my guns.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think especially in the area of old 1911's there is always a risk that you got sold one (especially at gun shows) where the serial # might have issues. So some I suppose eror on the side of why chance it.

I posted my S/N but I can understand the other mentality.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think the risk is minor. A criminal is more likely to scratch off the serial number on his gun then take the time to forge one. I'm more worried about them stealing my credit card bills from my mailbox.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Could someone you had issues with, or just a nutjob call the gun in stolen? In NC you don't have to have the gun in your name if you buy it from another citizen. No paperwork.

So if I posted the gun here, and someone here or where I posted the photos may, to be a dick, call it in stolen.

That's my best reason, but I still post photos.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have always wondered the same thing. I personally don't feel a need to not show the whole number??? Hey, if someone wants replicate a serial number that I have (which I think that chance is slim to none), big deal, I have the sales receipts on all showing the serial numbers bought by me.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Could someone you had issues with, or just a nutjob call the gun in stolen? In NC you don't have to have the gun in your name if you buy it from another citizen. No paperwork.

So if I posted the gun here, and someone here or where I posted the photos may, to be a dick, call it in stolen.

That's my best reason, but I still post photos.
First they would have to be able to prove that the gun belonged to them with more than just a serial number.

Whenever I buy or sell a firearm to a private citizen I always type up a bill of sale that lists the make, model, caliber, and serial number. Both parties sign it and each get a copy. I keep every one of them in my safe. It is also good practice in the event that the gun you sold is used in the commisson of a crime. A trace by the LE will bring it back to you as the owner. This way your ass is covered. You can provide a copy of the bill of sale to the PD and be cleared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was posted on another forum yesterday

ATF knocked on my door last night!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm as serious as a heart attack. An ATF agent came to visit me last night to ask me about a handgun I sold to an individual on another forum. He began by saying that he was not investigating me, but rather the person that I sold the gun to. I followed everything that was required in my state by verifying that he was legal to own. And he was, because he showed me his carry license. He is investigating this person because this guy is buying and selling guns on these forums like crazy, and he has no federal firearms license. The guy took the gun he got from me and posted it on another forum the very next day for almost twice the price that he paid me (which kinda ****** me off. But hey, you live and learn. The gun wasn't really worth what he was asking for it, but I digress). He showed me a list of AR's, AK's and handguns that this guy has been selling for several months. The phrase "arms dealer" was used.

You could imagine that I was somewhat concerned to have a federal agent at my door. I wanted to know how he came to find me. My state doesn't require firearms registration. Well apparently the picture he posted of my gun on the forum was a clear enough photo that he was able to trace the serial number back to the dealer that I bought the gun from. And I guess he got them to pull the paper work of the transaction from where I bought it.

I must say that all-in-all the agent was very friendly. As we spoke I came to understand what he was trying to accomplish by this investigation. If this guy wants to be a "gun dealer" then he needs to get an FFL. In our conversation he seemed to come across as pro 2nd Ammendment. He said specifically that "we don't need more gun laws, we need to enforce the laws we have". which is what he is seems to be doing. It did make for an interesting half hour.

I'm interested in to see what comments come from this.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have always wondered the same thing. I personally don't feel a need to not show the whole number??? Hey, if someone wants replicate a serial number that I have (which I think that chance is slim to none), big deal, I have the sales receipts on all showing the serial numbers bought by me.
Those are my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
All my firearms were purchased legally, and because I live in California, my handguns are also properly registered. I am the owner of record for my firearms, just as I am the owner of record for my vehicles.

A sufficiently motivated law-enforcement agency can always subpoena our information from the involved hosting services and ISPs.

I post under my real name too. :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think the risk is minor. A criminal is more likely to scratch off the serial number on his gun then take the time to forge one. I'm more worried about them stealing my credit card bills from my mailbox.
Why we pay our bills on line. Don't get bills in the mail anymore, except water bill. Our rural water supply doesn't have on line payment. Not even sure they have a computer.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
It's not something I worry about when I post photos, but if someone wants to blank theirs out, or wear tinfoil hats for that matter, it don't matter to me. unless we're trying to identify a year of production for a particular gun. then it's annoying.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Ok, Folks. Time for a reality check.

As someone who was seriously hit by some major gun thieves about a decade ago, let me tell you what can happen. Not saying someone will get away with any of this, but it could happen.

1. Even if you are in California, there is nothing preventing me from filing a stolen firearms complaint here in Ohio on your make, model and serial number of weapon. Once THAT number is in the NCIC (with it's own unique NCIC firearms number to boot), once law enforcement interfaces with that weapon, it WILL get dinged. Not saying someone will get away with it. But people are stupid and criminals by definition are even more stupid. Hence why a lot of them end up in jail. Don't be shocked when on their quest to achieve an enlightened level of stupid, they walk right through your quiet life.

2. All of this hocus-pocus about registered, paperwork, receipts is a bunch of crap. I mean straight crap. I used to believe it myself until... a few years ago, one of my weapons from "the incident" was recovered from out of state. Was sent back to my load PD (again, NCIC numbers). Local PD is a big PD and the detectives who worked on my case had long moved on. Property room wants "proof" of purchase to release. Since I didn't keep a lot of receipts for stuff, I was told to write a letter saying I owned the pistol with the serial number. Take that letter down to the bank, pay the "certified chick" $15 and viola! My letter is now a document of ownership.

What's my point in all of this convoluted mess? Well...in this crazy world of identity theft, stalkers, estranged EXs, jealous lovers, disgruntled co-workers, offended forum members, insurance bunko's and gun thieves nothing good can ever come of someone knowing your weapons' serial number(s).

Especially if you can't even recall from memory the serial number of the weapon you are currently carrying! :biglaugh:

And I am sure someone will come up with a solution to every example I have listed. Which is fine. Maybe they have a solution? But it is what we can't even imagine that will get you.

In today's world, knowing what we all know, and read in the papers, I am always amazed when this question comes up. Especially among a group of people who by definition know how technology works as they debate it on THE INTERNET!!! :biglaugh: I mean WOW! :biglaugh:

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Property room wants "proof" of purchase to release. Since I didn't keep a lot of receipts for stuff,
HA! i cant believe i havent started a "receipts" thread yet.

A few years ago, when i was renewing my carry license i ran into a pretty anal lady that demanded the receipts, the originals, from when i purchased my firearms. I spent about an hour arguing with her. I had one receipt (by pure luck), it was so old that the paper was yellow, but i didnt have one from the revolver. I was lucky that one of her co workers came to help, he asked her if i had a registry card, she said that i did, then he said: "well, he had to show the receipt at the time he registered it, if we gave him a card, then there is no problem with it".

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well, you can even take the serial number thing a step further.... I will never understand why people on here persist in listing any (or all) firearms they own, in their signatures.

I don't get it. I don't tell friends and neighbors what I own - why would I publicize it on the net? I wouldn't publish the serial number of my toaster, much less that of something valuable!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Well, you can even take the serial number thing a step further.... I will never understand why people on here persist in listing any (or all) firearms they own, in their signatures.

I don't get it. I don't tell friends and neighbors what I own - why would I publicize it on the net? I wouldn't publish the serial number of my toaster, much less that of something valuable!

some people prefer more secrecy than others. some like to show off their guns. I don't tell my neighbors or even brother in law what guns I have, but I don't mind posting photos on gun sites, even if the serial number shows.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've had the misfortune of taking so many internet-based crime reports that I blank out the serial number on my gun photos. Does it help??? Who knows. Can it hurt??? No. Some sites call it PERSEC or OPSEC. I posted pictures of my late dog on a website and one of the viewers was kind enough to point out to me that my wife's cell phone number was barely legible on his dog tag. :eek:

It is impossible to completely protect yourself against fraud or internet crime. But if a simple step can make life a little bit harder for the nut job, then why not. Because the sad truth of it is there are a lot of real life nut jobs out there in the real world. Trust me, I meet them on a daily basis. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
my neibors know I have guns because I am in law enforcement and I hunt a ton but I don't "show" them to anyone. If I shoot with you, you might have an idea of the guns I own but they are mine.....not for sharing. Unless I am bragging up my 1911's of course! :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts