1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is there an Arched or Flat mainspring housing to chose from?

Does either one really make a difference? Which one would you chose and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The arched mainspring housing was introduced on the A1 version of the 1911 back around 1924. The reason for doing so was to aid in pointing similarity to the type of revolver which was used back then. In other words, the arched mainspring housing changes the angle of the grip slightly so that it "points" the same for an individual who is use to another pistol grip design.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the two types of housings make a 1911 feel like a completely different pistol in the hand. I have both kinds on my guns, and while I like the feel of both I tend to shoot better with a flat housing. Others however may say the exact opposite.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For me, the arched MSH tilts the muzzle end of the gun up slightly. I'm not sure what this does for pointability in terms of better or worse, but I do find that it presses the grip safety harder into the web of my hand, which improves grip safety engagement. For that reason, all of my 1911s have arched MSHs.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have guns with both, and I guess I don't notice much difference in grip "feel", ease of shooting, trigger reach (short triggers, all) or accuracy.
Try both and see if it makes a difference for you, then choose accordingly.

FWIW, grip-enhancing treatments beyond simple checkering are easier to machine on a flat MSH than an arched one, if that enters into consideration.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,215 Posts
I choose the arched MSH because it feels better in my hand and makes the gun point better for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Big Hands Need (A)MSH

It's definitely a 'fit the firearm to your fingers' issue. Since my paws run on the large side, I stuck with arched MSHs. Also, I have used nothing but Ed Brown's Memory Groove beavertail grip safety. This means I don't have to wrap more of my finger(s) around the frontstrap/trigger area to fit.

Test out MSHs and other enhancements on a grip jig at your favorite smithy's, and go from there. It's your paw, it's your pistol. Make 'em perfect.

·
Banned
188 Posts
My small hands require the flat one. I just can't seem to get a good grip on the gun with the arched one. I think people with bigger hands have the luxury of choice, but I don't. That's why I chose the 1911 in the first place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 1911 came with a flat MS. I built up layers of tape on it until the gun pointed naturally for me. Its almost right between a flat and an arched. I might buy a cheap arched MS and grind it down until it fits the profile of the taped template. This is my first 1911 (coming from a Glock, then an XD) the "semi-arched" feel almost replicated my XD. I could probably get used to the flat, but I'll be shooting both guns in IDPA and would rather have them both feel close. As far as small hands and trigger reach with an arched MS, you could always get a shorter trigger and/or slimmer grips?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try shooting rapidly with both and see which groups best for you. Also see how rapidly you can empty three, four or seven rounds - check the group size.

For me it's arched all the way. Even better if a higher rise grip safety is also installed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me, the arched MSH tilts the muzzle end of the gun up slightly. I'm not sure what this does for pointability in terms of better or worse, but I do find that it presses the grip safety harder into the web of my hand, which improves grip safety engagement. For that reason, all of my 1911s have arched MSHs.
Same here.

To me an arched MSH just feels better.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

Arched for me, but it's personal preference. By the way, when you figure out which one works best, use the same MSH on ALL of your 1911's. When you swap out the parts, don't get rid of the old MSH. You may at some point decide you like it better.

Mike

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
There are now arched, flat and wedge. I like the wedge. It is ideal for me. I think the choice comes down to which makes the gun point better for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts