1911Forum banner

What's the point of a magazine safety?

3750 102
I have 2 22 pistols with one and can't for the life of me figure out what it's for.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

· Registered
7,085 Posts
The French military demanded it on the Highpower to keep their personnel from inadvertently shooting each other. I believe it was added after JNB passed to his reward. Like many French ideas, it just took off.

Practically the entire pistol was designed after JMB passed! :cool:

Actually, there have been several 'accidental' shootings where someone had removed the magazine, forgot about the one in the chamber, BANG, oopsie!
Of course, the lack of a magazine safety was blamed. :rolleyes:

Also a safety feature when one has children. Pistol kept with chamber loaded, but mag removed and hidden nearby.

Yeah, :rolleyes:I know locked and or out of reach! Not my idea, but it happens. Was actually popular long before biometric bedside safes.

· Registered
924 Posts
Practically the entire pistol was designed after JMB passed! :cool:

Actually, there have been several 'accidental' shootings where someone had removed the magazine, forgot about the one in the chamber, BANG, oopsie!
Of course, the lack of a magazine safety was blamed. :rolleyes:

Also a safety feature when one has children. Pistol kept with chamber loaded, but mag removed and hidden nearby.

Yeah, :rolleyes:I know locked and or out of reach! Not my idea, but it happens. Was actually popular long before biometric bedside safes.
Children, particularly small boys are both curious and ingenious. There is no way I would trust that. I am entirely confident that my son, a good boy, could have, would have figured out a way to get it to fire. Good gun safes, combination memorized and never written down! Great care taken that it is never open unless in the room.

· Registered
125 Posts
My 22/45 Mark IV is the first pistol I've owned with a magazine safety. I don't get it, either, but then again, these kinds of safety devices originated a century ago.

Think about this. A hundred years ago, keeping your finger off the trigger wasn't even a standard practice. The hyper-vigilance when it comes to safety and training that we gun folk push on each other is a relatively new phenomenon. Magazine safeties are just a carry-over from a different era.

· Registered
7,085 Posts
Children, particularly small boys are both curious and ingenious. There is no way I would trust that. I am entirely confident that my son, a good boy, could have, would have figured out a way to get it to fire. Good gun safes, combination memorized and never written down! Great care taken that it is never open unless in the room.
True, at least in your case.
But ya gotta admit, there's a lot of stupid, careless people with unsecured and loaded guns, and their offspring usually aren't much better, especially when young. There's been a lot of pre-teens who find loaded guns and shoot siblings, friends, etc. And I do recall reading of 1 or 2 shooters saying, "I took the clip out! I didn't think it would shoot with no clip in it!"

· Registered
7,085 Posts
My 22/45 Mark IV is the first pistol I've owned with a magazine safety. I don't get it, either, but then again, these kinds of safety devices originated a century ago.

Think about this. A hundred years ago, keeping your finger off the trigger wasn't even a standard practice. The hyper-vigilance when it comes to safety and training that we gun folk push on each other is a relatively new phenomenon. Magazine safeties are just a carry-over from a different era.
Yes, but many gun owners today do not have a lot of common sense, and were not properly trained by gun-knowledgeable old-timers. Those who do have training other than what they saw on TV, might have trained with a pistol that was equipped with a mag safety or disconnector.

And with product liability being what it is, it is prudent for the manufacturers to do so.

· Registered
7,085 Posts
The existence of magazine safeties is hard proof that humans are really pretty stupid creatures.
Smith & Wesson once put grip safeties on D/A revolvers without exposed hammers. The Safety Hammerless, nicknamed the "Lemon Squeezer" and the Centennial.

· Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Its there for the stupid people.

The real problem is that there are some guns with 'magazine disconnect' and some guns without 'magazine disconnect". This does lead to confusion, because some people will believe that all guns have a magazine disconnect or are empty when the magazine gets dropped.

Those of us that have some knowledge of gun safety tend to be smart enough to drop the magazine and rack the slide to unload the round in the pipe hate the magazine disconnect. Why? Well because of tactical reload. But many novice gun owners that keep a gun in the house have no idea of what a tactical reload is. To us that have some knowledge, of a tactical reload (not that I will ever have the need to use a tactical reload simply because I have no intention of getting into a prolong gun fight) know it could save your life if you know you are running out of ammo in the magazine... because that second or two that you drop the magazine, you can still fire your gun, plus you may not have to rack the slide to keep shooting. But if you are in a gun fight, run out of ammo, and your gun goes click, or the slide locks back, you will be vulnerable to your assailant who could use that opportunity to gun you down. The tactical reloads allows you to refresh your magazine when it a good time for you, not your assailant.

BUT... and its a big BUT... the magazine disconnect is there for the gun ignorant people that have little knowledge of how semi-autos work. Case in point, we had a dumb step-mother here a few months ago that thought it was funny to play with a gun with her step son and his friend that came over for dinner. She pulled out a Glock... removed the magazine and started to point the gun at the kids, and at the family dog. The kids got nervous, one ran out of the house. She laughed, said it was empty because she removed the magazine, and nothing would happen but continued her game of pointing the gun at her step son. She pulled the trigger killing him. That my friends is why some manufacturers put magazine disconnects in guns! For the ignorant morons out there have never be properly educated.

I have a couple of guns with magazine disconnects... the one that comes to mind is the first generation Ruger LC9. The first ones came out with thumb safeties, DAO hammer action and the dreaded magazine disconnect. I remember the backlash that Ruger received... the second generation (I got one of those as well) was striker action, no thumb safety, no magazine disconnect.

The problem as I see it... it leads novice gun owners to confusion because if they learn to use a gun with the mag disconnect, they might get the wrong idea that all semi-autos operate the same way.

Anyhow, that is my 2 cents on the topic. But its there for a reason.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts