1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 15 pound recoil spring in my Beretta M9 but with Federal American Eagle 115 Grain FMJ I got one FTF. The gun closed on an empty chamber with more rounds in the mag. What is the real benefit of a stronger recoil spring? Is it worth it keeping it in the gun or should I keep the factory spring in there? Also I got 2 failures to ignite the primers with the same ammo but with Beretta's double action I was able to pull the trigger again and the rounds went off. I think the failure to ignite was due to the fact that I replaced the factory 20 pound hammer spring with 13 pound competition spring. The #13 spring made a huge improvement in the double action trigger pull. I did not have the same problems with other ammo I shot in the gun, which was WWB, Fiocci and CCI Gold Dots.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I installed a 15 pound recoil spring in my Beretta M9 but with Federal American Eagle 115 Grain FMJ I got one FTF. The gun closed on an empty chamber with more rounds in the mag. What is the real benefit of a stronger recoil spring? Is it worth it keeping it in the gun or should I keep the factory spring in there? Also I got 2 failures to ignite the primers with the same ammo but with Beretta's double action I was able to pull the trigger again and the rounds went off. I think the failure to ignite was due to the fact that I replaced the factory 20 pound hammer spring with 13 pound competition spring. The #13 spring made a huge improvement in the double action trigger pull. I did not have the same problems with other ammo I shot in the gun, which was WWB, Fiocci and CCI Gold Dots.
As a general rule the more energy the round the stronger the recoil spring. Too weak or strong a spring can impact reliability. Also some people find that overly weak springs can have too "snappy" of a recoil and overly strong can have too "hard" of a recoil.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
Don't ever replace the factory spring with a lighter/heavier one unless you know why you need to. Believe it or not the designers usually knew what they were doing when they chose a specific spring weight. Your Beretta's mainspring is one exception, as I too have found that a lighter spring makes the DA pull better without compromising reliability. The original spring is overkill meant to assure reliable ignition even with cheap third-world 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Another question: Can a competent gunsmith improve the single action trigger pull on the Beretta M9?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts