1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased one case of .45 230gr. fmj Sellier & Bellott and another of 9mm 115gr. What is the red paint looking stuff covering the primer and the small amount around the crimp of the bullet? And will it cause any problems in my Kimber Defender II and or my Glocks. I assume this stuff is to prevent moisture, but I have never seen this before. I have also heard horror stories about laquer coated ammo. Is that what this stuff is?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ed.

------------------
In the absence of order, common sense prevails.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The red stuff is a primer sealer. It is used to waterproof the ammo and should't cause you any problems. Winchester uses similar stuff on their "White Box" line of ammo (also known as "Q" Loads).

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's a waxy substance. I guy at the range today said he got a wax build up in the firing pin hole. That's the only problem I had ever heard of.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I've shot cases of S&B without any problem. I doubt you'll experience any, either. Wilson Combat even recommends the brand.

·
Registered
802 Posts
futureleo

The "lacquer coated" stuff you've heard bad things about is likely the Russian ammo made by Wolf. My experience with S&B has been good also.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It's NOT the same material as the Wolf...Relatively clean, my cases didn't even need cleaning.

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
370 Posts
the whole wolf ammo situation comes from shooting your gun Rapid Fire till its SMOKIN HOT!!! and then the heat melts the lacquer, usually happens to tight chambered ARs while bump firing.
either dont rapid fire, or let your gun cool down after 50-100 rounds of rapid fire

------------------
PRK -the crap may start here but does NOT End here --BP45

1 - 9 of 9 Posts