1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first entered police work here in California the competition for jobs in LE was intense to say the least. There were about 500 applicants for every one position available. Up until five years ago it wasn’t unusual to send out a flyer announcing a position and get over 200 applications.

My department is 10% short in personnel right now, and we just found out that 4 more people are leaving for greener pastures. The big issue out here in California is a new retirement formula and those agencies offering it are attracting lots of people from other agencies that do not offer the same formula.

We need 11 bodies right now and in short order we will need 15. I checked with our personnel department and they have NO applications on file. I checked with three regional police academies in the SF bay area and none of them are carrying a full compliment of cadets. Those cadets that they are carrying are already agency sponsored and spoken for with only about 2% being independent and non-agency sponsored.

I am pretty sure that the hot economy and the general distain for law enforcement out here in California is the reason. I am curious to know what the situation in other states is as far as meeting staffing needs.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Well... My daughter just interviewed, and tested with SDPD last week... From what I gathered, they had a large number of applicants, not sure how many openings they were recruiting for...

Also, from what I gathered, many of the applicants were clueless during some of the testing, and even in Professional Demeamor.

Due to the extremely warm weather, many of the applicants showed up in "Casual" attire, and only a few appeared in Suits or Business attire. First impressions being what they are, the recruiters were not very impressed, and even commented. My daughter, of course, was not among the "Casual-ties", good girl!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In several large Texas departments, they are having a lot of trouble filling positions. So much so, in fact, that they changed the requirements. On things like drug use and convictions, it is no longer "never"; it's "not within the last five years".

(Unkind commentators say that one reason for the change is to make it easier to hire minority applicants.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by jpwright:
In several large Texas departments, they are having a lot of trouble filling positions. So much so, in fact, that they changed the requirements. On things like drug use and convictions, it is no longer "never"; it's "not within the last five years".

(Unkind commentators say that one reason for the change is to make it easier to hire minority applicants.)

Well, that certainly opens more doors... I can't see penalizing someone for an indiscretion that they may have had when they were 18 or 19... People make mistakes, but grow up...

My daughter answered truthfully when they asked her on her Phoenix Application is she had ever used, and she confessed to one time, when she was younger, kinda like Clinton, she was curious. Sadly, she had to postpone her processing for another year. She probably could have held that back, but I think it was the right thing to do, and be honest. I suppose the best part is that the year "off" enabled her to get most of her Criminal Justice studies completed, and Mature some more. I think she will do much better today, than she would have 1 or 2 years ago. I am definately proud of her...

The Job she wants carries a great deal of responsiblity, and trust, no sense going into it without a strong moral conviction.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reserves, full LEO authority, if necessary.

Get the active troops to hammer out the details, then go to the politicos...through the CIC if required.

Get citizen involvement cranked up now, while there's still time, before citizen involvement cranks up on its own, in a different way.

Remember "Death Wish?"

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by feedramp:
Reserves, full LEO authority, if necessary.

Get the active troops to hammer out the details, then go to the politicos...through the CIC if required.

Get citizen involvement cranked up now, while there's still time, before citizen involvement cranks up on its own, in a different way.

Remember "Death Wish?"

I am not precisely sure what you mean by your post but if you are suggesting that we give more authority to reserves that has already been done by other departments. In California every Reserve after 1995, I think, must complete the very same training as a regular officer. Those in the business before that year, with additional training can be grand fathered in. In any event most departments let their reserves patrol solo now.

Not many people have the time to go to the intensive academy or the extended yearlong academy and hold down a job also.

We don’t have any reserves so that’s no help to us.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The department I work for has four openings right now, we had 10 applicants to interview. The Chief let me look over the applications to see what I thought. 3 to 4 of the applicants misspelled easy words such as detention (a corrections officer), one has a Master in Criminal Justice and when the application said to answer the following question. :ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE IN WRITING AND ORALLY ? They wrote I went to college. I know police work is not brain surgery but times have changed, you need some gray matter between your ears not just bulk and brawn. Years ago most officers were big guys, now with civil liability and all you better have someone who can jsutify what they did and why they did it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
lawdog, your closing comment reminds me of a cartoon the McAllen, TX, PD had over their booking desk. An officer has brought what they called in their reports in those days an "actor" to the desk and is telling the sargeant, "I've just made an arrest and I want to see my lawyer."

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The dept. I work for is not real big but we have been growing rapidly over the last 3 years. No problem attracting recruits. We have had quite a few wash out in testing and interview. A couple of more get the job and quickly get tired of the hours and quit.
Our jail has a higher turnover than Patrol but it is a larger division.
Nashville PD tried to have an academy class a few months ago and there were supposed to be 40 recruits the first day. I was told none of them showed!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Last test my dept. conducted there was somewhere near 150-200 people for 2 positions.

------------------
By the time they come for your guns I will be to dead to care

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought I might revive this thread a bit, In July I took the POST test to enter in the corrections department here in Utah. I scored an average of 93%. My lowest score was Comprehension /Grammar at 85% (to my shame). But to get back to my point they seemed to want all 20 of us to be able to pass so they could have us all work there. Whereas the Highway Patrol said they are not testing now but might have one at the beginning of the year. So my uninformed guess would be that the $3 more an hour job of Highway patrol has more to choose from and less job vacancy than the Corrections Department.

------------------
Philippians 4:8-9 Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; …think on these things.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Seth, I think that across this country Corrections is always hiring. I know for my state, NH, they are ALWAYS hiring. The turn over rate has got to be drastically high.

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts