1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know just enough about knives not to cut myself every time. Last weekend I won an SOG "Flash-1" and would like to know about it. I ran a search and only found typical "great knife/pos knife" so which is it? The blade's spring-assisted and really leaps out of the handle, which seems to be hard-anodized aluminum. The black blade is half-serrated. All the locks and hardware seems a little cheap. Should I just stick with my old Sodbuster?

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Tracy,

I have no firsthand experience to offer. However, I suggest that if you don't get the info you are looking for on this thread, contact Brownie via e-mail. It seems as though he has beat the hell out of every knife out there, and he seems like a straight shooter.

Let me know what you find out.

Be well!

D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I haven't handled one personally, but I used to be really "in to" knives and my general impression has been they're pretty good. Good bang / buck ratio.

I've had maybe 3 "assisted opener" (not counting switchblades) -- a Kershaw Leek, Kershaw Boa and a Timberline VDL. I gave the Timberline to my dad and the Kershaw is on my "don't sell" list.

It's about a $40 knife so I suspect it's very comparable to a Kershaw Leek.

It's also AUS-8, which is not bad at all. Fairly hard -- holds an edge well, and is stainless. Harder to sharpen that you're typical Case though.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
AZ Husker: Please write a review

As I understand, it's a fairly new knife. And while it's innovative, it's not a knife suitable for everyone.

As usual as with any knife, there had been some slight complaints about it's lock-up. But I haven't handled one, so I really can't say.

However, should you wish to ask more questions, why not try the SOG Forums at these sites?
http://www.sogknives.com/forums.htm

Krizzard, out
"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have and i like it. the only problem is i dont really care for the blade lock. i like the ease of closing a liner lock (is that the one in the handle like the kershaw). the flash has a slide button on one side of the handle. a little clumsy to close onehanded. but the knife is solid, no blade play and holds an edge.
d

·
Registered
189 Posts
AZ...if you want to get rid of it, let me know! I was looking for one of these...found some good prices, but if you decide against keeping it, I'm interested :)

Travis

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think the operative words here are "I won it." While I don't think this SOG folder is one of their best, at your price of acquisition it seems like a winner to me. ;)

I personally think SOG's fixed blades are superior to their folders (some can be had on the different knife forums for ridiculously low prices), but they have a couple of folders that are very well made and offer excellent quality. I just found the Flash to be a little cheesy (aluminum handles vs. Zytel would be an improvement). My .02. geegee

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. These newfangled knives confuse me. A pocket knife is supposed to take two hands to open! The model I got is supposedly an upgrade with aluminum handle and black blade. Guess I'll keep it. Now I've gotta get some of those Royal Robbins pants to match...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Geegee,

Would you mind pointing me to the low prices? I'm looking to buy a SOG folder for my father's birthday in December. I already got one for my brother's b-day and my father saw it...now he's interested in one!

Thanks!

Travis

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The low prices I'm referring to for their fixed blades can usually be found in the "for sale" areas of Bladeforums.com or Knifeforums.com. That's not to say they don't show up for folders as well, it's just that I think that the SOG fixed blades offer a lot of bang for the buck, and when discounted to say 20% below their wholesale price, offer exceptional value. This will usually come from someone who bought the knife, perhaps never used it, and then just wants to sell it for some quick cash (to put into another knife, of course!).

If you wanted to buy from an online retailer, I'd suggest One Stop Knife Shop.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=672

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&PHPSESSID=

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck! geegee

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks Geegee! I appreciate the quick response! I'll check out the forums and see what shows up. I'm a fairly avid eBayer (I know some of you hate that place!) so I've found very nice prices on many of their folding knives there.

We'll see what happens! Thanks again!

Travis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts