1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given reloads on 3 occasions to try out in each case they complain about the ammo not working jamming etc.
I'm trying to figure this out as I belong to a gun club and have loaded ammo for a lot of people including completion and hunting ammo with great results.
Except with these same two guys.
They even have problems with revolver reloads now on the one occasion I was there and they had no problems but only shot a few rounds out of a glock.
I'm dumb founded as to why .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This why I never give my reloads to others to shoot outta their guns. Exeptions are close friends and family with guns I know. Continuing to give handloaded ammo to folks that complain about it's performace and reliability is just asking for trouble if something should happen to their firearms.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same two guys and multiple guns it may not be the ammo. Not everyone is as diligent with firearm care as they could be.

Overheard at a range one day another shooter saying "its a glock you don't need to clean it". This was after his third failure in one box of ammo.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I apologize in advance if I step on some toes. Sorry. I don't want to be mean.

Bless your heart, but if this is something you can't figure out and don't have a clue how to proceed,
(oh, I don't want to hurt anyone, but...) you should never ever be giving your ammo
to other people to shoot. Let experienced and seasoned experts do it.
I care about you, and I don't want you to be part of a disaster you didn't anticipate.

Normally, in the work up of the load...
You would check all the dimensions, like OAL and crimp and case resizing.
You would investigate your load (primer, powder & bullet) in relation to
those specific guns and their springs. You would evaluate how
known good ammo feeds and performs, and then carefully work up
loads that function safely and properly in all guns.

It's not hard to make ammo that works in virtually all guns,
but it takes some diligence, experience and skill to do it safely.
You can't just crank them out on your press at home
and then give them to people thinking all will be good.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I want to follow my post with sincere apology if it hurts anyone.
I truly care about all my brothers here, and I want everyone
to be safe and happy.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I want to follow my post with sincere apology if it hurts anyone.
I truly care about all my brothers here, and I want everyone
to be safe and happy.
However - you do speak the truth about reloads and other guns/shooters and the idea is to be safe while enjoying this pastime!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm normally the first to blow off the guys always worried about law suits over BS but in this situation your asking for trouble. NICKA was very nice but there's gonna be some that aren't. You really have to think about what your doing.

IF I can ask how long have you been reloading?

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
This is a little bizarre. Let's see if I've got the story straight. You load ammo for a lot of guys at your gun club, including competition and hunting ammo. No problem there. Except, of course, the risks you run by loading ammo for other shooters. But, that's not the subject of this thread.

Everyone at your gun club likes your reloaded ammo and it works fine for them, except for two guys who complain about your ammo. Hmmm!!

Is it possible these guys are just pulling your leg a little bit, just because they like to irritate you and make you defend your ammo? Maybe they're complaining because they want a better price in the future?

Without more technical data about your reloads, it's mighty difficult to divine why your reloads work fine for most people, but not these two people. :confused:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I must ask whether you give all these folks your reloads or do you charge them for your expenditures of the time and money that went into making them?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok ill try to answer all questions reloading on and off 5 years, The club I reload for is a school non profit private students approved by the dean 102 members. I either give them away or charge cost only as long as they return the cases.
The guy said he was shooting and the guns slide locked back or they jammed the gun was a colt he had a guy trade him for a used glock first time he shot it and a tarus the other guy had that he had just got that had the safety fell off prior to shooting.
The two guys have nothing to do with the gun club but are co workers.
I use a single stage press and generally load at starting load data to mid load data never max except for my desert eagle which only I have shot .
I have loaded not just thousands of rounds but at lease 100,000 rounds in all of that Ive had one bad pistol round and 4 or 5 rifle rounds with light strikes on a ar with a aftermarket trigger and a hand full of backward primers.
yes when I work up a load I check all demisions not just one time but several during the run of loads I check the powder throw about every 10 to 15 rounds I use a lock and load powder throw.
No he was not charged for the ammo it was a gift for some welding he did for me.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Thank you for the clarifications, bud. We appreciate the background info.
We can be hard sometimes, but it's because we care.

Just hearing that two guns had a problem just doesn't give us enough information to diagnose.
After loading 100,000 rounds you know that. You know we need a lot more information
on the guns themselves, the exact type of jam, powder, charge, bullet weight, OAL,
how the guns react with factory loads...

And even the caliber would we sweet to know. You never mention it.

You see? Lots of guys jumped on ya because the info was non-existent, from a guy
who says he knows how to reload but "dumb founded" on why two guns didn't cycle.
After 100,000 rounds, you have enough experience to gather the data and begin
your own investigation. Then pass that information along to us so we can help.

We'll help you. But you gotta help us first.
:)

·
Registered
717 Posts
My hat is off to anyone that can average over 1600 rounds a month on a single stage!
OP: You did not mention whether or not you are licensed by the ATF to sell/distribute ammo...
Giving reloads to others is just begging for a lawsuit, and selling reloads without proper legal ducks in a row is asking for Uncle Sam to come down hard on you.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You're reloading, on average, 20,000 rounds a year?

On a single stage?

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
On selling reloads:

If I recall, I believe one of our esteemed members Weshoot2 was telling us
that it is legal to 'sell' reloads without having a license issued by US Govt
if the buyer provides the components and you assemble them.
In such an event, I don't know how you determine the amount you charge.
You're just providing labor, I guess you charge per hour. Or some other unit.

The OP says he gets the brass back, but doesn't clarify whether he provides
brass, bullets, powder & primers up front. If club members provided their own,
it may appear that Robert is in good shape.

Robert, I know it sounds like we're ragging on you. Sorry about that!
We just don't want to see you get in trouble.

We'll help you as much as we can. Further info on the loads that wouldn't cycle?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the clarifications, bud. We appreciate the background info.
We can be hard sometimes, but it's because we care.

Just hearing that two guns had a problem just doesn't give us enough information to diagnose.
After loading 100,000 rounds you know that. You know we need a lot more information
on the guns themselves, the exact type of jam, powder, charge, bullet weight, OAL,
how the guns react with factory loads...

And even the caliber would we sweet to know. You never mention it.

You see? Lots of guys jumped on ya because the info was non-existent, from a guy
who says he knows how to reload but "dumb founded" on why two guns didn't cycle.
After 100,000 rounds, you have enough experience to gather the data and begin
your own investigation. Then pass that information along to us so we can help.

We'll help you. But you gotta help us first.
:)
as I said he said the slide lock back and he just got the gun he traded a used glock 19 for a colt even trade the traus was jamming not ejecting the case but again he got the gun from the other guy who told me the safety would fall off when used. how much more info do you need . I don't have function problems do figuring out why is not on the top of my skills.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're reloading, on average, 20,000 rounds a year?

On a single stage?
yes I reload every night and also of the morning before I go to work. I have 3 presses mounted on my bench all single stage and I have a lee portable for when I leave the house

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look id didn't ask for legal advice and that is not what I wanted .
As one person pointed out I think they are screwing with me . for their own fun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The charge is 6.6 grains of power pistol bullet a 230 grain lead round nose and I think the oal on that batch was 1.30 or 1.35

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Robert, just my guesses-

Slide lock back in an old Colt...mag issue?

A Taurus that the safety falls out of...screw loose behind pistol maybe? I kind of like my Taurus, it's been really reliable, I don't think it has ever misfed or anything-the price was right but the dang thing is responsible for my 1911 addiction.

Revolvers? Um, light hammer springs or maybe oxidized and mostly dried up oil and cleaning residue down in the action.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts