1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a real decision to make here folks. I really want one of the new Colt 1911A1 reproductions but I'd have to sell my Kimber CDP in order to raise the cash. I have another option, however.

I've been considering the Auto-Ord reproduction and haven't been able to find out much about them. Talk about a lame website! They even use the word Parkerized in quotes. I would slightly customize either the Colt or whatever clone I may end up with but I require a REAL parkerized finish because I want to just drop some quality parts in it and throat it for HPs. I don't want to mess around with refinishing at all. So what's up with this gun anyway?

Is it real Mil-Spec parkerized finish?
Is the frame and slide forged or cast?
How is the quality?

I'd appreciate some input on this. Has anyone owned one of these?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Inspector. I have posted here about my experiences with AO/Kahr. I spoke to a fellow in the factory and he said that the frame an slide were cast. He said that the parts were made in the U.S. and in Spain. He would not go into detail on who cast the parts. Later that day//I made more than one call//a service rep. returned my call and verified the above and added that in the future AO would offer a bar stock slide for the cast frame. When that would happen was not stated. Further, I was told that the spects AO used in there version were out of J. Kunhausen's book with a few twists of their own. Teal Blue.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Looks like the Auto Ord is out of the running. I'm gonna try to hang on to my CDP so I'll just have to start saving money and get a 1991 Colt. I'll add some custom features (trigger job, bonded ivory grips, decent night sights, Dwyer Group Gripper, checkered or serrated front strap, etc) and have a good 'smith he-horn and parkerize it.

Stated goal: Less than a grand, start to finish.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well I personally wont buy an auto-ordnance due to Rev. Moon having ANYTHING to due with his company. Just my personal boycott.

------------------
By the time they come for your guns I will be to dead to care

·
Registered
605 Posts
About 12 years ago I got a AO 1911 basic model from a gunshop that was closing. Only reason I got it was due to the deal I got from the shop owner. For $250 out the door I figured I could loose too badly.

That gun was not pretty but it shot great. The trigger was about 4 lb. and the gun was very reliable after the first 100 rounds or so. It would feed HP ammo without any problem and the accuracy was about 2" at 25 yards. On the negative side, the finish was poor (maybe very poor) with the slide being darker than the frame, the mag was out of spec and would not work when loaded with more than 6 rounds (Colt mags worked perfectly), POI with 230gr FMJ ammo was about 5" high at 25 yards (windage was okay) and it was rough inside and out.

Overall it was good gun to play with for $250. I later sold it to a friend who wanted a cheap 1911 pistol.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
The one I bought way back in 1990 was a complete POS. Wouldn't even feed ball ammo, and the extractor was a defective casting that a worker took a grinder to just to get it to fit!

With Kahr Arms taking over the company QC should improve noticeably. However, I feel if you want a cheap mil-spec you should either buy one of the Argentine imports or else find a Norinco at a gun show.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Shame they getting better reputation. My personal boycott against Kahr/Thompson/Auto-Ordnance.
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000096.html

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Anothe thing about the AO, is that the grip area is different. The flats were the grip panels go on are wider than the Colt. The best "copy" is still a Norinco in the true sense and feel of a Colt.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
So many have owned the Norinco's, and judging on average from the comments here and elsewhere, they are a very well-made pistol overall.

Odd that the Chicoms can make a decent quality 1911 clone; yet out of the dozens of attempts in this country, only a few are really any good.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by LAK:
So many have owned the Norinco's, and judging on average from the comments here and elsewhere, they are a very well-made pistol overall.
Um, working is not the same as very well made.

Odd that the Chicoms can make a decent quality 1911 clone; yet out of the dozens of attempts in this country, only a few are really any good.
Lets see??
Caspian slides and frames US
Rock River Guns and parts
Baer Guns and parts
Kimber slides and frames
Springfield slides and frames and guns (I know brazil)
Colt guns sometimes.
ST / SV guns and parts

Nowlin and Brown and Wilson but they are using other makers frames and slides.

does not seem to be a shortage here?

on the not list????
anyone ??
Auto ord, unless there are tremendous changes
Fed ord
Ranger
essex
amt
safari arms
brolin

geo ><>

ps