1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Loaded series 1911 and was rather displeased to find the barrel was manufactured by mating the chamber to the riflings. I emailed springfield to inquire if this was the norm:

my email
Hello,

I recently purchased a new 1911A1 Loaded series pistol. I was quite disappointed to find it's barrel was manufactured by mating the chamber to the barrel. Is this common on all loaded series pistols? I have been informed by my gunsmith that such a barrel can inhibit accuracy. Is it strong enough to consistently shoot +p loads through it? Is there any kind of accuracy guarantee associated with this pistol? The pistol is advertised as having a "Match Grade" barrel. Is this barrel considered match grade? Other than that I am quite satisfied with everything else about the weapon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Their response
"Thank you for purchasing a Springfield pistol! Our "Loaded" models do include a 2 piece barrel, which is considered to be match grade. We quote the standard factory pistols at 3.5" groups or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. You will not have any problem with this barrel withstanding the +P loads."

So am I concerned over nothing? I mean are these barrels usually pretty accurate? 3.5"@25 yds doesn't impress me. I'm quite certain the gun will do better than that. Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The way I understand the two piece barrrels is the link pivot lug is manufactured as a seperate piece and is welded to the barrel/chamber. I'm pretty sure that your barrel is not made in fronthalf/backhalf configuration.The tedium required as well as the liabilities incurred through this method would more than overcome any savings in manufacturing costs.....but ....I could be full of schist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, the damn chamber is mated to the barrel. You can see a visible line that goes all the way around where the chamber meets the riflings. You have to look close, and it's more visible on some guns than others. My gunsmith showed me a couple of them. From what I hear they've been doing this for a long time. How it can possibly be advantageous either financially or time wise is beyond me.

To hell with it. I'm putting a Baer barrel on it.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Springfield has been doing this for long time. As far as i know their guns are the only ones I have seen with them. You can ususally spot the seam between the chamber and the rifled barrel. I have never heard or seen one separate, so I see no problems with them. I have one in my 9x23 and it is very accurate with both Winchester ammo and handloads..try it out before going the expense.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Jafar:
I have been informed by my gunsmith that such a barrel can inhibit accuracy.

Is there any kind of accuracy guarantee associated with this pistol? The pistol is advertised as having a "Match Grade" barrel. Is this barrel considered match grade?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Their response
"Thank you for purchasing a Springfield pistol! Our "Loaded" models do include a 2 piece barrel, which is considered to be match grade. We quote the standard factory pistols at 3.5" groups or better at 25 yards with match ammunition

I've got a 2000 Loaded PX9608 with the two piece barrel and it is EXTREMELY accurate...about 1 3/4" groups at 25 yards. Springfield has been doing it this way for years and as I understand it...so has Browning in the Hi-Power.

I wouldn't waste the money on a different barrel....unless you just feel like spending money. Go shoot the gun...see how it groups and then make your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I will wait and see what it does after the trigger job. I didn't know the hi-power had the same type barrel. That was my first carry piece and I loved it. Very accurate. Somebody told me even the TRP and the Trophy have a two piece barrel in them.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Good Point vapor!
From a manufacturing poing of view say you
start with a blank that is big enough to do a barrel and bottom lug in one piece. Good size chunk of steel. Now turn the barrel out of a piece of .700 stock. all round work in a lathe.
ever split logs? they go with the grain right? same with ss barrels. lug seporation is sad but true and I have a nice collection.
But I do not have a springfield in my collection. they probalby solder in a vacume furnace and have zero trouble I have seen and they shoot! what more did you want??
geo ><>
ps if your throwing away your 1 1/2" stock barrels let me know where the dumpster is please.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts