1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the "V" model Springfields, and why do they get the extra-special "V" designation? I've seen the V10, and considered buying it, but I don't care for ports.

So what makes a "V" model...a "V" model?

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
The ports...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have astainless V10 Ultra Compact and love it. I'm very pleased with how it handles. If not for the ports, I would guess my shot to shot sight acquisition wouldn't be as quick.

I had an initial problem with my rear sight, but that is squared away now. Two issues with the ported barrells are noise and night vision.

I can speak first hand about the noise. I usually shoot a lot at a local indoor range and the muzzle blast for the ported barrel is a significant change from my other 1911.

I've heard some people talk about issues involving the loss of night vision due to the exhaust blast from the ports. Indoors, I can tell you, it is a flame thrower. I haven't suffered any ill affects from the blast, in terms of sight acquisition.

The only issue I would throw out to those who criticize the system, is with the stock matte black sights that are on the gun, if you have to use the gun in low light as it is out of the box, you probably are going to be firing instinctively anyway, unless you drop some additional money on night sites.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts