1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been lurking and reading post after post with much enjoyment and I thank you all very much.

Yesterday I was down at the range when I met this chap who had an Ithaca 1911 with what I thought was rather unusual markings. I asked him about it and he said it was a loaner (he's getting into 1911s).

On the left side of the slide, it's has the usual ITHACA markings but on the right side it was marked CASPIAN something with the serial # 18333XX. Huh??? What's the story with this one? OIt also had old Pachmeyer grips and what looks like old Trijicon sights.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Probably your typical "Frankenpistol" (parts gun) using an Ithaca slide for the top end and a Caspian frame. Who knows what other parts are in it - you'd have to give it a good going over. If it shoot well and it's a 1911 - then it's a good thing, right?
NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If I read your post correctly, the slide has both markings, correct? Is it both Ithaca and Caspian on the same slide or is it as NAA thinks, a Ithaca slide on a Caspian frame?

Ithaca was going to market a 1911A1 continuing with their serial numbers from WWII but the pistols were "tarted up" not milspec. It could be one of those pistols, they did have a few that made the market. I don't knowif Caspian made the slides and frames or not.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
The serial number is correct for a 1944 production Ithaca. That is says Caspian anywhere on it is a bit weird. Can you post any photos of it?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim V, dsk

That was the weird part about it. When I looked at the 1911, the first thing I saw was the Ithaca marking just like the ones I've seen on some older Ithaca 1911s but when I flipped it, there it was on the right side of the SLIDE (not frame), the Caspian markings.

My first thoughts was maybe this pistol was originally shipped overseas somewhere and then re-imported by Caspian but what the hell do I know about 1191s. If I was that knowledgable, I wouldn't be lurking in a forum, would I?

Anyway, I should have paid better bloody attention to it. I'll bring my digi cam to range next time and take some shots of it. I've seen him there several times already. Sorry abt that chaps.

H.-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ithaca also made a single shot pistol similar to a Contender, called the X-Caliber. Originally slated to be chambered in 22LR and 44 Magnum, only the 22LR was ever made. Very few exist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts