1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some older postings on the tacticalforums web site and saw someone post that Al Mar knives had "gone to pot". I was thinking about an Al Mar SERE 2000 folder and this made me wonder.

Is there any kind of problem with the Al Mar knives? Who actually makes them? Where are they made?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are made in Japan. If you get one try and make sure the lock os secure on the one you buy. Inpurchased one and the lock would not break loose but it would flex with pressure on the spine. AlMar replaced it with a new knife that has none of those problems. Some were made in Seki Japan and the newer ones I think are all made in Moki Japan. They are great knives.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are made in Japan. If you get one try and make sure the lock os secure on the one you buy. Inpurchased one and the lock would not break loose but it would flex with pressure on the spine. AlMar replaced it with a new knife that has none of those problems. Some were made in Seki Japan and the newer ones I think are all made in Moki Japan. They are great knives.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've carried one for a couple of years and love it. If you do a search for that knife at bladeforums.com, or knifeforums, I think you'll see some of the highest praise given for any production folder available.

They're stout with a great lockup, razor sharp edge (that touches up nicely), and the fit and finish is outstanding. I've seen more than one reviewer describe this excellent knife as "as close to custom as a production knife can get."

And although the full MSRP is about $180.00, it's pretty easy to find a new one in most of the trade/for sale forums for around $90.00 or less. A tremendous value, IMO. geegee

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
are they a good practical defense knife?
I own one and really like it, but as to whether it would make a good SD knife would probably be better answered by someone else, who has done so. I like the flat profile for concealment, the blade shape, and balance of the knife. What I don't like are the slick handle slabs. They should IMO have more grit, like a G10 or even rough Micarta.

I was thinking of ordering a set of Rob Simonich's "Gunner Grip" handles for them, but after his tragic accident and death in the past 10 days, I'm not so sure they'll be available. The Cutlery Shoppe was selling an Operator with the Gunner Grips already installed (as a special item), and I'll bet they're sweet. geegee

·
Registered
230 Posts
1st paragraph

Thanks geegee.Your 1st paragraph in your reply was Exactly my sentiments,when i handled one at a show awhile back.My best reasoning was the concealment factor.Im glad you mentioned the slippery handles,as i thought it was just me initially,thats a good point.It is a great looking blade tho'.Thanks again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would love to be able to get the gunner grips for a new Sere operator with thw s30V steel! I wonder if there was enough interest if we could have a batch of grips made?

It may be worth looking into after things at Simonich knives have settled down a bit and Rob's wife has had a little time to get a better handle on the business. I had just read about this knife with the grips a few days before I read of his passing over Thanksgiving weekend. What a loss to the gun and kife industry both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have a sere 2000. I'm not so impressed by the steel's edgeholding, nor the fact it's lock will fail on a moderate spine-wack. The heft and size of the handle make you think its a strong knife.

You cannot compare that knife in any way to a chris reeves sebenza, though its a hondo more.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Brother Maathias

if your lock will not pass a spine whack test you should call AlMar knives and ask them about getting it fixed under warrantee. The knife I bouight would flex ththe lock with pressure on the spine and they replaced the knife with a new one for me no questions asked when I shipped it in. The new one locks up tight with no flex or play in the lock.

Is the edge holding something you have found with all VG-10 blades or specific to the Sere 2000?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.