1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd toss this out to all the 10mm fans I know who frequent this site. Recently shot someone's 10mm Delta Elite and talked to him about this orphan calibre. He succeeded in convincing me that I really NEED a 10mm in my arsenal - it wasn't that hard:)

Given the fairly limited selection out there, what would you guys recommend? Please keep in mind I'm stuck here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts so that means no new Kimbers or Dan Wessons (must have been in state prior to 1998). Same for Delta Elite, can only get used one if it was in state prior to 98'.

Have been thinking about two Smith & Wessons - the 1006 semi-auto and the 610 revolver.

Can anyone out there give me the benefit of their expertise?

·
Registered
61 Posts
This raises a good question...

why do people pick 10mm?

you have the 9mm for all the people that like to spray a target down (accuracy through volume)... and you have the guys who use a .45 (a man's round) to take targets down one shot at a time....

but why a 10mm? I see no advantage in having a 10mm over a 9 unless it's to show your buddies up by having one more mm in the chamber...

the .357 is essential a 38 with more velocity? (correct me if i'm wrong) but can anyone enlighten me on the 10mil?

·
Registered
83 Posts
People like the 10mm because it is the most powerful FACTORY autopistol cartridge available with a siginifcant number of pistols designed to shoot it (no, the Desert Eagle .50 AE doesn't fit this description). You can find FACTORY ammo (Cor-Bon, Texas Ammo, Triton, Winchester, etc) that will push a 180 grain bullet to @1300 fps and a 200 grain bullet to @1200 fps out af many FACTORY offerings. That's good stuff. You can go light and fast with the 9mm or .357 SIG, big and slow with the .45 acp or you can go big AND and fast with the 10mm...it's your call.

cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
230gr @1040fps
220gr @1125fps
200gr @1270fps
180gr @1330fps

Big difference from 1mm!!

A guy on GlockTalk took an Elk at 90-100yds with 2 shots. I don't think you could do that with a 9mm and you'd be pushing it big time trying that with a .45.

I jsut picked up a Kimber 10mm and it shoots like a dream. Give yourself a treat and try one out.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
GSRwBOOST said:
you have the 9mm for all the people that like to spray a target down (accuracy through volume)... and you have the guys who use a .45 (a man's round) to take targets down one shot at a time....
It pays to actually read the ballistics. .45 ACP is a sissy caliber compared to 10mm Auto. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/10tech.html#load

10mm ballistics absolutely smoke .45 ACP. G.I. hardball is about 370 foot-pounds at the muzzle. 10mm factory loads routinely exceed 600. Not included in the above table are the 10mm loads by Double-Tap that exceed 700 foot-pounds (all loaded within SAAMI pressure limits, by the way). At 100 yards, Cor-Bon's 180gr and 200gr hunting loads still have more energy than most .45 ACP has at the muzzle.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
My favorite is the Delta Elite. I had a S&W 1066, till I was offered a very good sum for it. I really did not want to sell, but for that much, there it went.

10's seem to be very accurate, all mine have.

GSRwBOOST, don't know much about 10mm do you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Penetration and power would be my guess. .45 ACP doesn't do to well against body armor and barriers but has stopping power, while 9mm does better against body armor and barriers but lacks stopping power.

Cons of 10mm
Somewhat hard to get ammo
Has to be chambered in a firearm that can handle a .45 ACP round
Overpowered for some circumstances/users.
Limited capacity compared to most 9mm's

Pro's of 10mm
Power
Extra capacity over most .45's
Flatter shooting
Can be chambered in suitable .45 ACP pistol with minimal redesign
And most of all, it's just :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I guess my pick is the Delta,cause that's the only 10mm pistol I've had the chance to shoot.

The round is really snappy,but the one I've shot seems to be quite accurate at longer ranges.
It's kinda cool to shoot a 1911 style pistol that shoots so flat and you don't have to use alot of holdover in order to hit targets at longer ranges.

Really unless I was hunting with it thats about the only advantage I've seen(along with the added power) that would make me pick it over a .45 acp.

At shorter realistic combat ranges with no body armour involved
I'd rather shoot the .45.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GSR - What all these other guys said - plus in my limited experience its also very shootable. Recoil is manageable, unlike some of these monster caliber handguns, which may be ok for hunting, where you're (hopefully) only taking one or two shots at a time, but not much fun if you want to put a couple of hundred rounds through. The 10mm I shot I could take to the range and have fun with all day.

So c'mon guys you don't have to convince me that the 10mm is an awesome round, I just need help selecting the best gun to shoot it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Oh yeah, to answer the topic question, this one:

:D

To elaborate about the caliber: it's not just about raw power, but versatility. 135gr-220gr bullets, light .40 S&W ballistics to "magnum"-equivalent thumpers... and you can chamber it in guns of reasonable size without beating you or the gun to pieces.

And ammo prices aren't really worse than .45 ACP if you shop around. I've gotten Federal American Eagle for $10/50 delivered on sale, and Georgia Arms bulk ammo is always inexpensive.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/pistol.htm#ee

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,220 Posts
GSRwBOOST said:

the .357 is essential a 38 with more velocity? (correct me if i'm wrong) but can anyone enlighten me on the 10mil?

The 10mm is essentially a .357 with a bigger bullet, and in a more-controllable and more portable platform. Wow, sounds like a good idea to me!

I like my Delta. Good shooter, and more eye appeal than any other production 10. I let a buddy shoot it at a couple of single stack matches, and it ran great with 175pf loads, and a 16# spring. Drop in the 20-pounder, and it readily digests the 200 @ 1200, and everything in between, loads.
There's a local-ish gunshop selling PD turned-in S&W 1076s, for something like $350. I'm going up there, next week . . . do they have any left? Somebody STOP me!

·
Registered
111 Posts
A vote for the S&W 1006 and don't forget FBI trade-ins of S&W1076's 10mm may also be available in your state. I regularly shoot my S&W1006 10mm and find it far more accurate than am I (Of course so are my 1911's). I enjoy shooting my 1911's (and dare I speak the word on this forum "Glocks") but still shoot the 1006 a lot. I carried a .357 revolver for a lot of years but we were only allowed to chamber .38 Specials in it which was OK because I find the .357 brutal. 10mm in the Smith 1006 is very gentle in comparison. Ammo is a little harder to keep in stock. I'm ordering some from Doubletap even as we speak!
Stay safe out there.
Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
One interesting thing thats been coming up in this thread is the comparision between the .357 mag and 10mm.
All things being equal the 10mm in an auto appears to be a much better platform.
Although for a hunting rig I'd still lean toward a revolver.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
The can of worms thats been opened here about 10MM vs. 45 is one that you can't forget the 45 Super. I'll take the heat and flames, BUT 45 Super SMOKES 10MM! I have a super, but I still want a 10 just because! :D Tracy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Castelbravo -

That Delta Elite looks very sweet, and in mint condition. Unfortunately, unless I can find one that was in Mass. by 1998, the attorney general says I can't have one. My bro also lives in Texas. He laughs his ass off every time I complain about the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GSRwBOOST said:

why do people pick 10mm?

but why a 10mm? I see no advantage in having a 10mm over a 9 unless it's to show your buddies up by having one more mm in the chamber...

Where I come from, it is considered good form to loudly and firmly slap right in the face anyone who comments as fact on a matter they know absolutley nothing about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The correct answer is Glock 20.
16 rounds of 700+ foot pounds of energy ends any debate as to which is "the best handgun". No question about it.

The 10MM IS NOT a .357 magnum balistic clone.
More like a .41 Magnum.

16 X 10MM = Win.
Of course, you will probably only need one of those 10's if you ever have to use them, but it's damn reassuring to have 15 more should something unforseen pop up.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Delta First choice.. Glock second choice, then Smith.. For you it seems the choice will be more based on availability than anything else.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts