1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several AR-15 mags loaded wth ball, then I also have the 6 mags that I load with Nosler Ballistic Tips. :eek: What do you like for defensive duty? I always take the Ballistic Tips as my first choice over the ball

·
Registered
312 Posts
Currently I faver the Federal 55 gr XM193 military issue manufactured at the Lake City plant. Hot enough, plenty accurate, great for long term storage.
I also like the Winchester Q3131A for the same reason, but will purchase the Federal whenever possible because it is made in the USA.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
In a defensive situation I'd use anything I can get but standard 55 grain is fine with me. It's available anywhere.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like the heavier 75 and 77gr loads are doing very well in gelatin tests and are starting to gain a following. Problem is you need a tighter twist bbl to fire them accurately at longer ranges.

·
Registered
877 Posts
For most uses, anything that meets M193 mil-spec. That includes Winchester/USA Q3131, Q3131A, IMI M193 So. African M13 or M14, etc.

My other choice (for 1-9 twist barrels) is Black Hills 68gr heavy match. If I had a 1-7 twist, I'd go with the 75gr Black Hills. They are both OTM (open tip match) bullets that fragment (rather than expand) at lower velocities more reliably than M193 ball. They also happen to be incredibly accurate in almost any AR.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
YammyMonkey said:
Sounds like the heavier 75 and 77gr loads are doing very well in gelatin tests and are starting to gain a following. Problem is you need a tighter twist bbl to fire them accurately at longer ranges.
Yep. Until I build an upper specifically for those Im sticking with the 68 gr OTM Black Hills for defense and then a crapload of Q3131A for practice.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If a reliably feeding load could be concocted I'd favor something stuffed with a Nosler Partition. Failing that I would stick to ball.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Winchester 64 grain Supreme. Same as their 64 grain PowerPoint load but is moly coated and crimped in place for use in semi autos....Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
What kind of defense?

I have a Bushmaster carbine I keep around for any house goblins. Since I'm in a suburban area with other houses close by, I have a 10 round magazine loaded with Winchester 45gr JHP.

If I was out in the country, then XM193 would be the shiznit fo' sure....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dieselman, I wouldn't put too much faith in those Ballistic Tips for defense purposes. They are a rapid expansion/shallow penetration round designed more for varmint hunters/seekers-of-the-red-mist.

If you want a good defense load, go with a softpoint designed for penetration, Sierra Gameking hollowpoint, or bonded core style bullet. Just ensure proper feeding. The military style FMJ ammo is a cheap alternative as well, but doesn't offer the penetration because of its tendency to fragment.

For defense though, I'd seriously want to look at something with more rapid incapacitation capability than a .223. For defense you are usually looking at very close ranges, and rapid incapacitation is critical to protect you from further attack from your target.

I've retired my AR to the safe and leave the defense role in the hands of the 10 gauge with 2 1/2 oz. of #4 buckshot and a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SockPuppet,
Your right about that. I guess I should come clean with this post. I do carry most of my magazines full of Lake City XM193 5.56x45. I don't know why I posted that I always take my ballistic tips as my first choice. That's really not the case. The magazines that I do load with ballistic tips are also loaded every other round with M193 ball. This combonation proves to function well in my DPMS and works very well on coyotes and other varmits. For serious encounters I have the Mosseberg 500 loaded with OO Buck and my FAL with ball ammo. And of course I always have at least one 1911 with 200gr +P gold dots within my reach. Oh well still interesting to hear other peoples opinion on the matter.:cool:

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
SockPuppet said:
Dieselman, I wouldn't put too much faith in those Ballistic Tips for defense purposes. They are a rapid expansion/shallow penetration round designed more for varmint hunters/seekers-of-the-red-mist.

If you want a good defense load, go with a softpoint designed for penetration, Sierra Gameking hollowpoint, or bonded core style bullet. Just ensure proper feeding. The military style FMJ ammo is a cheap alternative as well, but doesn't offer the penetration because of its tendency to fragment.

For defense though, I'd seriously want to look at something with more rapid incapacitation capability than a .223. For defense you are usually looking at very close ranges, and rapid incapacitation is critical to protect you from further attack from your target.

I've retired my AR to the safe and leave the defense role in the hands of the 10 gauge with 2 1/2 oz. of #4 buckshot and a .45 ACP.
You might want to check the facts. Unless you are engaging targets in self defense at over 175 yds (??) the AR with ball ammo may be the best out there. Black Hills is good stuff. See link.

A 10 gauge huh? Yep that should do it. Little heavy isn't it?

http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum78/HTML/000204.html

:D :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
BillD said:
You might want to check the facts.
You mean facts like when 30 lb. coyotes are shot with .223 ball ammo they have a tendency to take off running, never to be seen again? This frequently occours even at short ranges, under 40 yards.

So pardon me if I have little faith in the same round for rapidly incapacitating a 250lb. duster.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Shot placement? Caliber won't make up for poor hits.

Jeez, it's a wonder the 223 has ever taken down a man in combat.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts