1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now,I have tried Mccormick Ambi and single side,Gunsite Low Mount,Ed Brown single side wide style and Ambi wide style,original Swenson and Wilson and Kings.My favorite so far is the Ed Brown "Tactical" style narrow Ambi.this seems to be the best all around balance of shape and function for me.How about it? What's your favorite and why?:)

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,393 Posts
I think of the Cylinder & Slide safeties as improved versions of the Ed Brown. The levers are similarly, but better, shaped. I like the wide one, as I can leave it, or cut it down in size or shape. The C&S parts are rougher than Brown's, as they come out of the package, but I don't mind doing some clean-up on them.
I love the McCormick for its price, but spend a few hours recontouring them before I'll allow them on my guns.
The Wilson ambi is a classic.

· Registered
710 Posts
I like the Swenson single. Unfortunately, you can't get them anymore. Of the currently available ones, I prefer the narrow Brown that has be re-contoured.

Yes, the Wilson ambi is a copy of the Swenson (pretty much).

· Registered
313 Posts
I have been through several thumb safeties and here are just a couple of thoughts.

The Wilson is too narrow, short and sharp for my tastes. I used to like them a lot but that was before I had used anything else.

The STI that I bought is so far out of spec as to be unworkable.

The Gunsite low mount is great but only if this is the only style you use. If you have one of these and one of a more common configuration, its easy to get confused. In the "safe" position, it feels like the "fire" position of any other 1911. When the "S" hits the "F", I can see that this could be a real problem

I have settled on the C&S model, although, it looks pretty similar to the Brown. I like the contour of it and the width. Its just right for positive engagement without getting in the way.

As for ambi safeties, I don't like the Kings. Yes, I know this is what the Marines are now using on the MEU(SOC) pistol, but I can't stand them. They don't curve down. That means, when you go to rapidly charge the gun, it is VERY easy to catch the tip of your middle finger on the tip of the right side safety.

I'm not crazy about the Swenson style safeties as they always just seem fragile to me. That's a very small tab of metal under the grip panel to retain things.

I do like the new style Kimber ambi safety and I have one on my Springfield Operator. It uses a dovetail notch on a special hammer pin to retain it. It has a nice curve that prevents damage to your fingers when charging it. If I ever get another gun with an ambi safety, it will be the Kimber model.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
That's one of the reason's won't use King's! Square front paddle is way to short for those with long fingers/big hands. Brown style Beavetail's compound the problem. As soon as the current fav "Send To" 'Smith hears the word I'm Left handed" all one her's is "King's", Just no good un less your hand fits it! Even the knukle on strong hand can bump it "ON" , so forced to use one that starts late and ends late on the crosspin plate, then take it somewhat thinner than the "name" tactical ambi's. to get it to work 100%.
Would like to use King's just for the extra strength so may have to have extra length welded on sometime a la' what Ted Yost and Novak's does for P-35's?

· Registered
3,432 Posts
Tried 'em all.
On a retro gun, I like the original Colt's.
Otherwise, I prefer the Swenson-style as made by Ed Brown.

· Registered
875 Posts
gewehr3 said:
Anyone else have a problem with their thumb safety digging into the base of their thumb? After a few hundred rounds my Kimber thumb safety actually draws blood.
Yes, but more so with the safety Springfield puts on their loaded guns.

You can make a huge difference with some time and a file. Take a few strokes on the back corners,edges where it is abrading you and check it. Keep doing it until it feels "good." Then use some sandpaper in successively finer grit until you get it nice and smooth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.