1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the harder places to reach for cleaning my Kimber is the rail area on the slide. I can't see the slot very well, and I can't get to it with my fingers very well, either.

Do you have a neat trick that is better than toothbrushing that rail slot?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Try this,,, take an angleheaded toothbrush, cut brush end off leaving the handle and angled end. Fashion that angled end into something resembling a common screwdriver, sized to fit rail slot. Cover your new tip with a patch and go to town. Works great for me. It also gives great practice using a dremel tool

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a "Bondo" squeegee cut down to about a half inch in width. I then trim the tapered edge untill it fits in the slide rail with a little slop. Wrap a solvent saturated patch over the edge and presto! Clean slide rails. Also works well for the little channel beside the disconnector cut out.

lesthemess

·
Registered
281 Posts
First, wipe with rag, then brush with toothbrush and solvent or CLP. Then, bamboo skewer or sharpened wooden dowel with patch to absorb solvent and gunk. You can also whittle the dowel into a wedge shape first.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I usually use Q-tips and solvent then dry ones then oiled ones, but it's really easy to slice a finger when the stick bends in half and you run your finger down that sharp edge. Think I'll try that toothbush trick next time, it sounds a wee bit safer to the digits!

Mac

·
Registered
143 Posts
I scrub the area good with a solvent soaked tooth brush, give it a good wipe-off with a rag then clean the tougher areas (grooves) with a pipe cleaner folded over.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hoppe's or Outer's or Kleenbore make a nylon brush with bristles at each end. One end has the bristles arranged so that they perfectly fit in the slide rail grooves.

After brushing the rails and all the rest of the slide out with WD-40, I blow everything out of there with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber and lubricate with Breakfree CLP and Tetra-Grease.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
281 Posts
Kid's toothbrushes are better cause they fit in smaller places. My daughter gets a new one every three months cause i'm so, umm, concerned with dental hygiene.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I begin by using a papertowel placed over a popsicle stick to wipe it down several times. Then I spray with CLP, scrub with a tooth-brush, and wipe again with a popsicle stick supported papertowel or cotton rag.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Iceman (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
For hard to reach places on my pistols, all I ever do is brush the area with a CLP soaked kiddie toothbrush. You have to do an extra effort brushing though as the bristles are too soft. Then I wrap another toothbrush with a patch to soak up all the crud the CLP has loosened.
I cannot think of any other way.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, I works really well in those hard to reach places. Just remember to oil up good after you are finished.

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Use an M-16 cleaning brush. Works perfectly for the slide rails.

BTW if you want to save money, instead of Gun Scrubber use automotive brake cleaner. Find the brands that use trichlorethane as the main ingredient. Exact same stuff, except that it costs only half as much.

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Hoppe's #9, with toothbrushes (small and large) Q-tips, and pipe cleaners for the really small spaces.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use my wife's tooth brush, she has grown so accustomed to the taste of Hoppes No. 9, that she no longer even complains about it. Ain't love grand...

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

1 - 20 of 20 Posts