1911Forum banner

What's YOUR worst handgun?

4K views 89 replies 72 participants last post by  CowboyBeet 
#1 ·
What are the worst POS handgun(s) that you have ever acquired?

I've had 4 of the most useless pieces of junk ever manufactured.

1. Jennings J-22. Tried several mags and various brands and styles of ammo. Never would cycle properly.

2. HG 22 revolver. Cylinder would frequently jammed up and horribly inaccurate beyond 4 feet.

3. HG 32 S&W Long. Another German made piece of junk. The only way you could hit a house with this gun would be to shoot from inside it, maybe.

4. Desert Eagle 44 mag. Most expensive handgun I've ever purchased. Basically, it's an $1,800 single shot.
Made me realize all this talk about high end pistols is a bunch of manure, being spread by suckers who are trying to justify their ridicules purchases.

#3 ·
Raven 25 ACP .... Pretty useless

Owned a S.A.M Commodore 1911 that was junk as well. Metallurgy really sucked, wound up replacing a bunch of parts before selling it.
Even the ejector was peened and throwing brass straight back into my face.

#5 ·
SA Ranger Officer Compact 9mm. CCO sized. I bought it new and it never worked correctly. SA has it now for warranty work.

It has so much potential if it would only function correctly.

#7 ·
Mine was an Auto Ordnance bought new in 1990 that literally would not feed a cartridge into the chamber, rendering it a single-shot. The only good that came out of it was that I quickly learned how to gunsmith a 1911 thanks to that thing.

Over the years I've bought other dogs... Kahr P380, Walther P22, Taurus G2C, Beretta 950BS, and several other 1911s with reliability problems. But nothing that like that cheap AO 1911.

Currently my "worst" handgun is a Jennings J-22. However unlike most of these mine actually works. I won't keep any gun if it isn't reliable enough to at least enjoy at the range.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't have worst handgun. It was Argentinian short slide FM. Peening on inside of slide after <500 rounds.
I am thinking about playing "Colt Roulette" by buying Colt Defender .45 ACP. When I asked about reliability at the LGS response was it's better than Kimber. If you must settle for something in this category (short-barreled 1911) Colt Defender is the way to go. 😁

#9 ·
The pistol that I am least impressed with is a CZ 75B omega. The accuracy out of a Ransom rest is around 3 inches at 20 yards.
The other thing I do not like is the chamber specs on European 9MM pistols. They are set up for jacketed bullets and leave no leade to tolerate cast bullets. This includes the CZ and two Canik pistols.

#12 ·
I don't currently own any bad guns but the Sig STX I bought new around 7 years ago was definitely the worst gun I've had the misfortune of owning. When I first bought it the pistol was shooting 3"-4" groups at 7 yards, returned it and they replaced the bushing with one that was actually somewhat tight yet did nothing for accuracy. Kept it another year or two and traded it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I had a JC higgins 22 Double / single action revolver. one round hole was always giving me trouble, sticking or light strikes, so it was a reliable 8 shot instead of 9.
sure I thought I cleaned it well, but I was never into it, and never took it all the way apart. and it was used when my boys were little, but not so much when they got their own .22s
fast forward a dozen years, and I hand it off to my machinist son, who takes it all the way apart, finds a bunch of junk in places I didn't ever get to, and it works for him.
another brother had one of those early Remington 17HMRs, and it would always Jam, and they bought it back from him. (sorry not a handgun)

#16 ·
What are the worst POS handgun(s) that you have ever acquired?

I've had 4 of the most useless pieces of junk ever manufactured.

1. Jennings J-22. Tried several mags and various brands and styles of ammo. Never would cycle properly.

2. HG 22 revolver. Cylinder would frequently jammed up and horribly inaccurate beyond 4 feet.

3. HG 32 S&W Long. Another German made piece of junk. The only way you could hit a house with this gun would be to shoot from inside it, maybe.

4. Desert Eagle 44 mag. Most expensive handgun I've ever purchased. Basically, it's an $1,800 single shot.
Made me realize all this talk about high end pistols is a bunch of manure, being spread by suckers who are trying to justify their ridicules purchases.
You buy a Desert Eagle and base your opinion on other higher end guns on that? That's funny!

#17 ·
Many moons ago when I was a dealer, we were in a panic dry spell of availability (the one before .. the one before .. the one before .. the last one….I think). I found out RSR had Llama clone 1911 guns in .45 caliber. I bought 6 of them. I sold 5 of them, decided to try one out. Discovered they were not compatible with OEM Colt mags. This was before the infinite makers of high quality mags, we shot Colt and surplus GI mags. The Llama guns were just enough non Colt to not lock up, I called my buyers and offered to buy the guns back. Some kept them. Those who owned Colts opted to sell back. I dumped the guns on a local Pawn/gun dealer. I think I broke even. Thankfully times have changed. Improved manufacturing provides for almost across the board compatibility. To clarify; the guns fired the Llamo mags ok. We just did not to want to own guns that required proprietary mags.

#18 ·
I've been pretty lucky with autos. I've had trouble, but I've been successful making them work when there is trouble. My worst luck has been with revolvers, mostly S&W and Taurus....previously detailed ad nauseam.

I've always wanted to try a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, but I can see how a large, rimmed cartridge might be difficult to get to run reliably.

#75 ·
I've always wanted to try a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, but I can see how a large, rimmed cartridge might be difficult to get to run reliably.
If you have big hands.
If you feed it the correct ammo.
If you have a strong grip.
No problem.

The felt recoil is less with Des Eagle in comparison to my S&W 629.
The 629 is much more forgiving for me screwing up and limp wristing.

Glock 20 and 21. Brand new in the box (back in early 90's when they were released) and neither one would chamber a single hollow point cartridge. Every single cartridge would stovepipe and never make it to the chamber. Never got to fire a shot with either of them. They just wouldn't chamber hollow point ammunition. I could have locked the slide back and hand dropped a cartridge into the chamber (just to be able to fire at least one cartridge), but, I just got so disgusted that I simply took both back to the dealer for immediate refunds.
Never heard of anyone having this problem with factory ammo.
I currently have multiples of the G20-21 and other glocks. You can complain about the triggers or the grip angle, all day long, but it is one gun I know will run right out of the box.
Heck, the gun is point of aim from the factory...always.

#20 ·
I had a S.A, EMP that was an absolute POS. Traded it off after SA got it to at least run 4 magazines without issue. Lost my ass on that one. This thread shows that you can get a lemon in anything, it doesn't make them all bad. I've had very good luck with Colt and Kimber [excepting for a Solo that is now gone]!

Reactions: Michael W Cuber
#23 ·
Not a handgun but I did own a PSA AR that was total junk! I couldn’t get through a mag without several failures as well poor accuracy …Tried a few things, switched ammunition with the same results. Pretty sure something was out of spec with the upper. Sold it at a small loss with full disclosure. Every AR I’ve purchased since then has been great !
Some guys really like there PSA AR’s and I’m sure most of them run great , but not mine .

#25 ·
1. Jennings J-22.
YEP! Complete piece of junk. Fortunately I didn't pay anything for it. My brother gave it to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.