1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want an LDA 9mm( hicap), but don't like the new wide slide serrations. But, I also want the hammerless version. My question is did Para still have a model available with the smaller serrations when the LDA went hammerless, or were the two changes simultaneous?

· Registered
2,178 Posts
There's still a hammer, but it's flush and flat with nothing to encourage you to attempt cocking with your thumb (improper thumb cocking can damage the LDA). In 2004 came the "'Griptor' grasping grooves" you don't like in addition to the flat hammers. In 2003 the hammers were transitioned to the flush model but standard slide serrations were still available. In 2002 or earlier, they had the standard slide serrations and hammers that looked like a standard hammer. It sounds like you're looking for a 2003 model.

The 'new & improved' "Griptor" design is more difficult for me to hang onto. The old design doesn't require as much squeezing pressure in order to obtain enough friction to draw the slide all the way to the rear when using an extra power recoil spring. IMO it was a cosmetic change that deviated from the 'form follows function' school of engineering.

· Banned
2,923 Posts
Tac Four

"The 'new & improved' "Griptor" design is more difficult for me to hang onto"

Here I was beginning to think it was just me. I don't care for them as they just don't give you the same friction if you will. Add sweaty/wet hands to the equation and the situation gets worse. I wish they would go back to the more traditional cut for the slide serrations.

Stay Safe

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tac Four said:
There's still a hammer, but it's flush and flat with nothing to encourage you to attempt cocking with your thumb (improper thumb cocking can damage the LDA). In 2004 came the "'Griptor' grasping grooves" you don't like in addition to the flat hammers. In 2003 the hammers were transitioned to the flush model but standard slide serrations were still available. In 2002 or earlier, they had the standard slide serrations and hammers that looked like a standard hammer. It sounds like you're looking for a 2003 model.

The 'new & improved' "Griptor" design is more difficult for me to hang onto. The old design doesn't require as much squeezing pressure in order to obtain enough friction to draw the slide all the way to the rear when using an extra power recoil spring. IMO it was a cosmetic change that deviated from the 'form follows function' school of engineering.
Thank you for the education. I really want a Para but don't know too much about them, that really helped. It seems it is hard to find a full size 2003 in 9mm, though. I just can't bring myself to compromise what I want and buy a "Griptor" model. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.