1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a SA mil-spec, and I sold it a while ago when I was going through a divorce and needed money. I regret it now.. (The gun not the divorce ;)) Well now I am looking at getting a new one, I noticed the new ones say Imbel Brazil. I don't remember my old one being stamped with anything about Brazil. When did they start making the frames in Brazil? Maybe I am crazy and I just never noticed my old one having the stamp.. ;)
Anyone got a US made Mil-spec they wanna sell me? Should I care or am I being a snob?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
My Loaded and GI models are both made in Brazil, they're both fine. South American forging is nothing to look down on really, they're subcontracted to make military arms for many countries. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Springfield in the future.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
There have been various rumors about where Springfields are "made". I believe the basic forging and machining is all done in Brazil. More expensive models in the line-up have additional fitting and assembly done in the U.S., but Mil-Specs and G.I.s are, at last report, completely forged/machined/finished/assembled in Brazil, and that's why they are stamped "Brazil". There have been rumors that pistols with "NM" serials have had more of their fitting and finishing done in the U.S., and if those guns lack the Brazil stamp, there is some truth to it.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Made in Brazil (SA is the importer!)

Should be no confusion. My loaded is made in Brazil and so marked. Imported to the USA by Springfield Inc.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Interesting. My loaded models dust cover is marked FI BRAZIL under the barrel line but the marking where yours are just say

SPRINGFIELD
GENESEO IL USA

with an N prefixed SN

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Don't forget to look under the grips also. I have some that are stamped Imbel Brazil there, as well as, or instead of, beign stamped on the bottom of the dustcover.

I never really paid close enough attention to the area by the serial number, so I believe that is the first time I've seen one with the Made in Brazil mark just above the serial number. Is that a recently made firearm or an older one?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think all SA 1911s were, and still are, produced in Brazil. I do not recall SA having another supplier for 1911 frames. SA has been in business with IMBEL (the Brazilian 1911 manufacturer) even before any 1911 being offered. At the time SA was importing surplus Mausers 98 from the Brazilian military and brand new FN-FALs from IMBEL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you have the dot matrix stamp of Imbel-Brazil like I have on my GI and you don't like it, here's a tip. When I had the frame hard chromed, it filled in the dots and you can't see it anymore. I didn't care, but if you do, that's a possibility. It may have been just a fluke for me, but I no longer have Imbel on my GI.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
My (pictured) loaded is apparently a fairly recent model, although Springfield has ignored several of my Emails asking about the serial number. I purchased it used. Former owner claimed it was less than a year old.

She's marked like every other imported pistol I've seen:

-- Chuck

·
Banned
721 Posts
My TRP is made in the US. Springfield imports the raw frames from Imbel and then does all the final machining and fitting in Illinois. It is true that guns marked with the NM prefix in their serial numbers are finished here in the states and do not say "made in Brazil".

·
Registered
874 Posts
Then maybe mine is an older Loaded model...I bought it slightly used but have no clue when it was made.

Mine is marked like the above but with just an N prefix(no M) except like I said the front dustcover is markd FI Brazil

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
IIRC they have been made in Brazil since the early 90's

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
So does anyone know why the positions of the Brazil/Imbel markings can be found in several places (under the grips, bottom of dustcover, above serial #)?

It seems like a extra work and extra cost to change the location of stampings/markings on the frame like that, unless it is to identify different facilities in Brazil or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts