Votes: 169 90.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about the ammo situation and the general impressions/opinions regarding hoarding. When do you consider it to be hoarding? Cheers.. Ron

Here's my 45 stash
200 rds Winchester Personal Protection JHP
200 rds Winchester FMJ
100 rds Federal Premium FMJ
250 rds Federal AE
50 rds Remington Golden Saber
50 rds Speer GD LE
10 loaded magazines

·
Registered
114 Posts
How can you sleep at night knowing you have so little .45 ammo?:(
My God, man, you need to get up early Monday morning and do something!
You could probably hit eight or ten Walmarts by midnight if you start now.
I feel so sorry for you.:bawling:

Hoarding? Maybe when you hit 20,000 rounds you might start backing off. I mean 20,000 per pistol.;)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hahahahaha... I think I'm a little low too:) 13 views and only one vote; I suppose it's a mute point:biglaugh::biglaugh: Cheers.. Ron

PS: Walmart's around here got nothing and are mostly very unfriendly about it. ATG is my best friend these days...

How can you sleep at night knowing you have so little .45 ammo?:(
My God, man, you need to get up early Monday morning and do something!
You could probably hit eight or ten Walmarts by midnight if you start now.
I feel so sorry for you.:bawling:

Hoarding? Maybe when you hit 20,000 rounds you might start backing off. I mean 20,000 per pistol.;)

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
For me it's 50 rounds in mags of selfdefense high performance ammo. About 1500 at all times of a target ammo I prefer not to let my supplies slip much lower than 800 rounds for each caliber.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I voted 10K, but does that mean components with the capability of making 10K, or having 10K loaded rds already or does that mean 10K factory ammo? :confused: OP--please shed some light on what the poll actually refers to.

Total components to make a complete rd
Already re-loaded rds
Factory rds.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking more along the lines of commercial ammo. It would seem that the remarks people make about hoarding refer to commercial. IMO.. Cheers.. Ron

I voted 10K, but does that mean components with the capability of making 10K, or having 10K loaded rds already or does that mean 10K factory ammo? :confused: OP--please shed some light on what the poll actually refers to.

Total components to make a complete rd
Already re-loaded rds
Factory rds.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
How about when the factory calls you because they are low on stock and they want to buy some from you until their next run of that caliber/bullet style?

The one bit of info you failed to provide is, what is that ammo to be used for? A Bullseye shooter may have different requirements than someone planning for SHTF. What about someone who owns a .375 H&H Magnum? Their requirements are different than someone shooting a three gun match.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I voted 10k only if you aren't shooting and rotating it:biglaugh:

I keep 1000 rounds of FMJ and 200 or so of SD ammo incuding the 8 loaded mags with the "main" gun.

Why 8? My grandfather was a scout for his unit in WW2 and he always carried 8 with him, 4 in a map style bag, those mags wrapped up to be quiet...I have the bag and 2 belts he wore and one mag...two tone no less.

The number stuck with me almost obessively my whole life much like most of the sage advice he has given me.

I'm glad I saw this thread...reminded me immediately of him when I read the OP's first post.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Never actually have enough ammo, or empty brass to reload because of the price keeps going up.............

Clyde

·
Registered
651 Posts
It becomes hoarding when you buy ammo, guns and food just to keep it away from others.
It is stockpiling when you buy for your long-term needs.
It is rude to buy the last 10 boxes of ammo on the shelf when the other customer there needs to buy a box or two to prepare his home defense.

It is generous to buy it all and give the guy a box.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
It becomes hoarding when you buy ammo, guns and food just to keep it away from others.
It is stockpiling when you buy for your long-term needs.
It is rude to buy the last 10 boxes of ammo on the shelf when the other customer there needs to buy a box or two to prepare his home defense.

It is generous to buy it all and give the guy a box.

Well said.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Plus one to what Cylde said.......

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Plus one to what Cylde said.......
Too bad you guys didn't live near me. I only shoot factory ammo because I don't relaod...heck, you'd have 1k rounds of once fired a month from me alone.

I do collect a bunch now and then and give it to a good friend who loves to reload.

Maybe I should be less lazy, grab all of my brass and give it out. That would be the common sense thing to do. I'm low on ammo now but when I get more I'll start collecting it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I couldn't get myself to vote.

My answer would be NEVER because you never know about the future ~ being it political or financial.

Besides, I am WAAAYYY over that limit anyway. :rock:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
OK, since the OP is referring to factory, I have:

600-rds of Win 230 fmj (bulk 100 pack)
300-win 230 JHP/Rem 230 JHP bulk 100 rd boxes
200-assorted "other" JHP factory rds
200-rds Makrov 9x18--assorted JHP/FMJ's
150-rds .380--assorted JHP/FMJ's
2K-rds .22's--reg long rifle/Mini-mags/High velocity

500 JHP M193 5.56 rds (I have the AR lower, but will buy the upper at the Feb gun show

And though I need to get out to the shed and re-load for some specific competitions, 2K re-loaded 45acp rds.

Components for another 12K rds of 45 acp/45Super

I guess that's it.

Well, Am I hoarding? Tracy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hoarding ?

According to my spreadsheet, I am pushing 3000 rounds, but that is across 6 calibers and broken out between practice ammo and defensive rounds. So, I do not believe that I have too much stockpiled, but I do not feel short, largely because availability is better -- this evening they had .45, 9mm, .40, lots of .22, and around ten boxes of .44 Mag at Wal-Mart. They have a little less .45 now... ;-)

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Too bad you guys didn't live near me. I only shoot factory ammo because I don't relaod...heck, you'd have 1k rounds of once fired a month from me alone.

I do collect a bunch now and then and give it to a good friend who loves to reload.

Maybe I should be less lazy, grab all of my brass and give it out. That would be the common sense thing to do. I'm low on ammo now but when I get more I'll start collecting it.

At $50K, you might consider picking it up and selling it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It becomes hoarding when I can't get any ammo.

I only have 220 rnds as of right now so stop hoarding!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Reload

Reload. As a reloader, I have a feeling we're going to be the future underground. Keep your powder dry.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.