1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to attend a gun show at the Cobb County (GA) Civic Center today, hosted by RK Shows. What a waste of 20 minutes and $12!

5, maybe 6, tables were selling guns. One table had used guns, looked like a private sale. The rest of the tables were selling handmade soap, cookware (with cooking demonstration!), kitchen knives, TWO leaf guard/gutter systems, a home improvement contractor, someone selling pelts, furs and skulls, someone selling phone charging cables, etc., etc. Not much gun related merchandise. And a lot of tables were empty.

I noticed other shows around the Atlanta area seem to be having more and more non-gun related stuff at "gun shows". One even had a jewelry vendor set up, one selling bed sheets sets, one selling perfume.

Are gun shows losing their popularity? Very disappointed and I am reluctant to attend many more, not wanting to waste time and money.

Rant over...

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Get on I-20 West and go to Hoover Al to the CASC show this weekend and you will not be disappointed. In March we have the Ala Gun Collectors show, one of the best around our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Now you know where to go.

When you need beef jerky, fake indian stuff, Chinese tazers and optics, Chinese knives, obnoxious T shirts, rusty ammo cans, overpriced junk silver, kettle corn, and scented candles. Just do not do what I did and ask the scented candle people if they have one that smells like bacon cooking. They do! :barf:

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
The best gun shows are members only and by invite only, excellent stuff there and the auctions also provide opportunity to get some very nice deals

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Been to few shows like that - lol - many of the local shows attract vendors of a wide range of non-shooting related items. In your scenario, I'd have gone back to the entrance and demanded my entry fee back. If for no other reason than to send a local message.

Not much show sponsors can do about denying table applicants I'm thinking?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I remember gun shows in the 80's and 90's when the skinheads had tables. And literature.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The gun shows here are just dealers getting rid of unsold stock, people selling prepper stuff, and some with paintings, etc. (Nice oil on canvas, patriotic stuff, guy in tricorn with WWI uniform, for example)

But nothing like old gun shows where you had old misurp rifles, fine old revolvers and pistols, etc. Now it's just all so.. commodity.

These aren't gun shows, they're clearance sales. Not interested anymore.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Some gun shows are what we call dog. & pony shows. Some promoter lump all the dog & pony stuff in one area we can avoid. Some do not.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I used to hit a lot of them, and still attend a couple a year. But, they are more and more as the OP describes...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I get tired of seeing all the Chinese import knockoff junk, even if it is gun related.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
The best gun shows are members only and by invite only, excellent stuff there and the auctions also provide opportunity to get some very nice deals
Striker. Are you an OGCA member?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I just got home from a show in West Bend, WI. This is a show that is held a couple times a year or so, put on by an outfit that does gun shows all over WI. It's usually a pretty good show. Maybe I should say "used to be" a good show. It was a dud this time. Much like the OP described, there were more knives, non-gun stuff, and one whole row of cutting boards that some guy made. This show used to be in the larger of the two buildings on the fairgrounds, but this time was in the smaller building and didn't even fill it up. Very disappointing.

I did managed to spend some money though, which is not unusual!

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
The WA Arms Collectors show here in WA isn't quite as bad as what the OP reported but it's still nothing like it was in the pre-Internet days. I think most people have learned they can sell their guns easier on Gunbroker and get more for them than they can selling them at a local flea circus. There are lots of gun collectors at the WAC show, but they usually do their horse trading before the doors even open so there usually isn't much left of interest by the time the public gets a crack at it. And of course if that wasn't bad enough all the new gun laws and mandatory waiting periods have made it a real chore to buy or sell a gun unless it's a single-shot .22 rifle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A few years ago all of the gun show promoters around here decided to not allow concealed carry at their shows. I don't go to "gun free zones" (even if it is a gun show) unless it's absolutely necessary. Back when I went to a gun show every now and then I left disappointed pretty much every time. A few over priced guns and a bunch of beef jerky, stun guns and other non gun stuff.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I never went to a gun show when I lived in the Peoples Republic of Newyorkistan. It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I was able to go to any. To me it was culture shock anything and everything gun related was available and you could get some pretty good deals. Now the shows here are still pretty good but there are more and more unrelated stuff being sold. I don't go to see homemade jewelry or buy beef jerky or cheap mass produced Chinese knives. But there are still quite a few local gun shops with merchandise for sale sometimes good prices sometimes overpriced. I mainly go to see what available and pickup reloading supplies.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,435 Posts
The WA Arms Collectors show here in WA isn't quite as bad as what the OP reported but it's still nothing like it was in the pre-Internet days. I think most people have learned they can sell their guns easier on Gunbroker and get more for them than they can selling them at a local flea circus. .
I was there today, for the first time in maybe ten years. It's moved to a smaller hall, and there were fewer than one-third the number of tables as prior.
WAC has rules regarding how much display space can be non-gun related, but there's still plenty of jerky and macramé belts.
Lots of primers at $30-$35 per thousand, when my local gun store sells them for $45 per.
One guy had a rusty Arisaka (no mum, no monopod) tagged $400, and I can remember a table that had a dozen of them lined up, $99 each, back in the day.
Reblued New Service for $1500.
I did linger over a $485 Norinco.
All I bought was scones.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
There is a lot of hate for beef jerky in this thread :) I know we want to see guns not crap.

A few months ago my wife dragged me (kicking and screaming) to a home decor show. 5 feet in I was ready to leave. If there was beef jerky it would not have been so bad.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts