1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a number of handguns as I do, do you ever wonder which you would use when the chips could be down? I carry daily and try and rotate my 'gun du jour'. I had to make a trip to the New Orleans area last weekend to try and recover some of my Mother and Step Father's valuables from their house in Metairie. I was succesful as their house did not flood and only had roof damage. The weapon that stayed on my hip except to sleep was my Kimber Pro Elite. Also along for the ride was a 40 cal Hi Power and a 9mm High Power Compact. I am comfortable with the knowledge that I am familiar with all of my weapons but the Kimber is my first pick. The Parish was evacuated but my son had a pass as a member of the recovery effort, it was very strange to see the area deserted and only military and law enforcement of all kinds on the streets. Also tucked behind the seat was my Savage 12 gauge pump, 18 1/2 inch barrell. A sign that sticks in my mind was posted at the entrance to a cul de sac, spray painted in red on a large sheet of plywood "Drunks With Guns, You Loot We Shoot". I will bet any potential looters avoided that area!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm like you, I rotate what I carry and it'd likely be luck of the draw depending on when / where. It's most likely that it would either be my springer project pistol, or my USP 40c.

If in the mountains, there's a good chance my .45 bisley would be involved. I honestly feel comfortable with any of them.

--usp_fan

·
Registered
773 Posts
I in general don't rotate because I have limited range time and I'd rather be good with the gun I'm actually going to use rather than mediocre with a bunch of guns that are sitting at home as well as the one in the holster. I've got two each CQB and CQB compact. One each is the cary gun, and the other is an identical range gun to take all the wear and tear. I switch to the commander on memorial day, and back to the gvt. on labor day.

Works for me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I dont carry but when it comes down to needing a handgun, I trust my 1911's, no junkers in my inventory.

I'd also trust my SIG Sauer also, but for defense wise, my 1911s come first, and they'll always perform per my request. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
When push comes to shove, I'll have a Glock 22 on my hip, a S&W 642 on my ankle, Glock 27 SOB, 2 hi-caps at least and two speed strips in my back pocket and either my AR-15 w/30 rounder or Win1300 12 ga.

Heck, I almost carry most of this anyways.

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
I too own more than a few handguns . I think it best to stick with one design ... 1911 , Sig Classic , Glock , etc . The model/size doesn't matter . Stick with the same controls . If I needed 2-3 handguns (discounting BUG's) , all 3 would accept the same mags/ammo and have the same controls .

·
Registered
988 Posts
guy sajer said:
I too own more than a few handguns . I think it best to stick with one design ... 1911 , Sig Classic , Glock , etc . The model/size doesn't matter . Stick with the same controls . If I needed 2-3 handguns (discounting BUG's) , all 3 would accept the same mags/ammo and have the same controls .

This man has a really good plan... :) I made the decision a few years ago to go from sigs and glocks and HK's and 1911's to 1911's only. The trigger and operation and controls stay the same and you gradually get good at shooting and operating one gun type.. That has a heck of a value in my opinion. I have not sold all of my non - 1911's... I still love the sig 220 and 245 and 229 and 239... I still love the HK usp in 40 and 45... but honestly I don't shoot them any more. I will eventually get rid of them and do so with the knowledge that having fewer / better guns that fit me perfectly offers more ability to defend yourself than having a safe full of perfect guns that you never quite manage to shoot well.

The trigger and operation stay the same ... and finally all my pistols hit exactly where I aim them when I do my part.. every 1911 that I own runs 100 percent every time... holsters interchange with guns.... mags all work with each other... all ammo is now useable... it just works well for me .

I am a big believer that having two identical guns is also a good plan.... having a spare gun just in case of a loss or breakage.. I followed that practice with sigs.... and with HK's ... etc. I have 1911's that for all practical pourposes interchange with each other despite minor changes ... As I dump the sig's and HK's etc.... I plan on getting a couple more 1911's and keeping them identical to guns that I currently love..

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i rotate through a number of guns shooting at the range each week but for home defense and my travel gun i stay with one of my 1911's. as already stated: "sameness" and familiarity can be a real good thing and each of my 1911's feels the same, functions the same, uses the same bullets and mags, and they will put rounds exactly where i want them to go. they are now 2nd nature to me and that just might give me a slight edge in a situation where a slight edge might make a very big difference.

i don't want to be thinking about which gun i might have in my hand. i want to be putting rounds on target as fast as possible if that time is ever needed.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with all of you about using the same gun. That is why I carried the Kimber 1911 and had the High Powers in the vehicle. Also I had an extra box of ammo for each besides the two extra mags for each. Nothing like being prepared.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I carry a 1911 when ever it is possible, If for some reason I can't, I carry a small .25 Beretta copy. 98% though is the 1911. I have several but I usually carry the Defender..as of today it will be changing to a COLT Gunsite CCO as soon as it proves itself at the range.

A friend and I were talking about IF the states were ever invaded as in that old PAtrick Swayze movie????....I have to say I would probably grab the good old glock 17 and a few STANDARD cap mags...and the AR.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I agree with the idea of sticking with a couple main gun designs and being proficient with such as you choose.

While one doesn't necessarily have to use "just one gun" IMNSHO, it shouldn't probably be a proposition of a " gun du jour" chosen from among dozens! (I realise the original poster was speaking somewhat "tongue-in-cheek".)

Mixing lots of different guns and carry methods and locations is probably NOT a good thing for most of us who practice CCW.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Most of the folks who carry all the time, and for serious reasons, stick to one gun. It may be fun to have and carry a lot of guns, but it would be hell to realize as you die that the Glock you are trying to fire really is a 1911 with the safety on.

Jim

·
Registered
247 Posts
I rotate my pistols with whatever I'm wearing or whatever suits me when I go out. I don't own a Glock or anything like it. I do own a revolver, but I don't usually carry it except as a BUG sometimes. All my primary carries have an external safety catch that I have tested to ensure I can disengage with a sweep of my thumb. As with any CCW, the biggest risk is knowing when you will actually need to draw, doing it as quickly as possible without fumbling, and hoping your clothes don't snag on anything to interfere. Or, come to think of it, that in the urgency and impulse to draw, you don't pull too hard and have to make up for the distance from where your hand is at towards the direction of your target as quickly as possible. Kinda' like coming out of oversteer. Worst case, you throw the gun away by mistake whe it slips from your fingers on the draw. This is somethig that only practice and training can help overcome. It's not as natual as you'd think. This is also where you realize that no matter how accurate, powerful and reliable your prized carry gun is, its useless if you can't get it out in time.

As actors call it, your Motivation is that you're on the sidewalk, minding your own business when 2 men hiding guns approach you and demand your wallet and whatever. Because of everyday precedent, know that you will most likely be shot even if you co-operate, once they have your valuables. It's possible that they won't fire til they start to walk away. Knowing this, draw your concealed pistol and see how you do. There may not be any cars or other objecs to hide behind and not enough time if there were - these guys WILL shot you. Just don't put any holes in the walls or neighbors while you try to draw fast. You can even imagine that you just bought gas and two youths who are loitering outside approach you to rob. Use the News, get ideas, practice. Those muggings are as practiced by them as your defence against them should be. Its all drill.

·
Premium Member
9,802 Posts
simonsay said:
...of the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it.
I carry the same one everyday...SA custom Loaded with a whole ignition set from Nowlin and Match barrel and bushing from Wilson. Shoots one ragged hole freehand at 20 yards. Integral MSH (no ILS junk) from Guncrafter Industries (The most awesome MSH IMHO). She's my goto gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.