1911Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Mine were/are called sunrise... The pattern is opposite of the starburst. Both awesome!
Is he still making grips ? I would love to have a pair of those sunrise. Thought I heard he had closed shop ??? B

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Jordanl:
Did WC do the engraving / stamping of the term "SUPERGRADE" & did you specifically ask
for it to be spelled as one word?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have had a 1911 with a set of pure ivories for years. I love the way that they look. I doubt that I will ever get used to the way that they feel and the extra weight that they put on the gun. They would never be my first choice for serious use or carry.

But, it is my favorite "lookin' at gun" and would be my choice if I were ever invited to a formal dress required shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,013 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I was threatening to get a set of ivory grips a couple of years ago, but then I discovered walnut instead. I can't quite explain why, but those things just get to me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good Lord, when will I ever learn Tom quit closing threads prematurely by asking stupid questions?
I saw it more as a set-up question in a deposition. I didn't know, that is just how it struck me.

Then you come back with "I say you killed Mr. Culpepper in the library with a candlestick!"

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I saw it more as a set-up question in a deposition. I didn't know, that is just how it struck me.

Then you come back with "I say you killed Mr. Culpepper in the library with a candlestick!"
Oops, my bad, but it was not intended as a "ser-up" query for anybody. I am genuinely interested in whether the "SUPERGRADE" etching/engraving was done by WC, and whether the two words were intentionally done as 1 word.
My apologies to anybody/everybody that took it to mean anything other than what I intended it to be. It just does not look realistic to me.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Oops, my bad, but it was not intended as a "ser-up" query for anybody. I am genuinely interested in whether the "SUPERGRADE" etching/engraving was done by WC, and whether the two words were intentionally done as 1 word.
My apologies to anybody/everybody that took it to mean anything other than what I intended it to be. It just does not look realistic to me.
Two words with no spacing. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is he still making grips ? I would love to have a pair of those sunrise. Thought I heard he had closed shop ??? B
tarheeldoc,

Many of Larry's grips are now being made by SGM Grips....Michael Gailey. Check out the sticky thread in the parts section of this forum. I have a set of SGM Grips in the mail....Michael has been great to work with.

I have several of the sunrise pattern that Larry made back in the day.......I like the look much better than the starburst for some odd reason.

OP can share if he likes but SGM makes a grip called a bar none pattern.....his grips appear to be a combo of sunrise and bar-none????????

Give Michael a call, I'm sure he is capable of making any grip Larry D originally made.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ok I will jump in....... Wooly mammoth from Dan Chinnock and the others from David Warther. The checkered ones started as slabs but were done by John Schultz......thanks to the Feds I kicked the ivory habit, because I would have kept on buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Isn't that "no space" the way WC spells Supergrade?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Isn't that "no space" the way WC spells Supergrade?
Oops, my bad. You're so correct & I'm so incorrect. I just looked at mine & it also has no spaced. Well, I do have Glaucoma & Cataracts both but I swear that I looked at mine & thought that it had a space. My apologies to all for any confusion that this may have caused.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts