1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you shoot a stage weak hand, do you also use your "weak" eye? Had a couple arguments with a few different firearms instructors and RO's. My belief is even though both eyes are open (as they should be), your dominant eye still sees the sight picture. Once you've changed hands, you still bring the gun up in front of your dominant eye.

Hoping to hear some opinions...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shane, It depends on your situation.
Mine is; right hand,left eye dom. When I hold
the pistol in my R/ hand it's in front of my left (dominate) eye, ie. my face is on my R/arm with my left eye inline with the sights. When I shoot left handed (which comes easy to me) I can hold it in front of that L/eye. So you would be correct in using both eyes open holding the pistol in front of your dominate eye. PS I'm told I can fix this problem, I say to them; Thanks but no thanks.
After 37 years of shooting this way I,m not about the change.......

------------------
Eyes N Ears Goin HOT!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T.Labren,
That's the way my wife shoots too! In effect, the strong hand/arm crosses over the weak eye, to put the sights in front of the dominant eye.

What I am having disagreements about is whether or not the dominant eye should change depending on which hand is holding the gun - ie. My strong hand is right - I sight with right eye dominating. If I switch to weak hand (left hand) should I be bringing the gun up to sight thru my left eye?

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I shoot weak hand I have to use my strong side eye. I have found that I will automatically use my weak eye, but that's my bad eye. Everything is blurry through that one, so when I shoot weak hand I have to force myself to use my strong side eye by closing the weak side eye prior to drawing.

I can shoot fairly well weak handed, but it takes longer. I have a bad left hand from an encounter with a coy-dog about three years and two surgeries ago. This isn't a big problem as long as I take my time and get a secure grip.
Neil

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I use my strong eye and close my weak eye. I also have found out that I must use a different grip weak hand vs strong hand. With strong hand I use a high thumb, weak hand I do not. I found I was pushing the shots with a high thumb weak hand, but was right on target with a low thumb.

The most important thing in hitting the target is seeing it. That's my strong eye (right) for me. I am also right handed.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
591 Posts
When I shoot weak-handed I use my dominant eye. I also cant the gun about 15 degrees towards my dominant eye.

I have tried using my weak eye when shooting around a left-handed barricade. To do this, I have to close my dominant eye.

M1911

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Through the trials and tribulations of correcting my eye dominance problem, I've come to the conclusion that the best speed and accuracy comes from using the eye that matches the hand holding the gun. It's the only way to take advantage of your natural pointing ability.

This may not be the case for anyone else, but it's easy enough to check.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by Walking Point:
Through the trials and tribulations of correcting my eye dominance problem, I've come to the conclusion that the best speed and accuracy comes from using the eye that matches the hand holding the gun. It's the only way to take advantage of your natural pointing ability.
I agree with this. When I shoot weak hand, I use a mirror image shooting form. I'm right handed, so right hand/right (dominant) eye, left hand/left (weak) eye.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
267 Posts
I admit only limited experience shooting with weak hand and weak eye, but I've found that I can close the strong eye briefly until I get a sight picture and when I open it the weak eye stays aligned and focused.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
Strong or weak hand, use dominant eye. To use your dominant eye weak hand, just move the pistol two inches to the right and its right there in front of you. Why struggle to remember which eye to use. Use the same one all the time. Inside of ten yards, stand square to the target, past that start turning your body for support.

As far as the canting the gun when shooting one handed, why? When you shoot freestyle, do you cant the gun? Why make it different just because you are only using one hand. If you cant the gun, the front sight/dot will track off the shoulder of the target and come back somewhere other than where the previous shot broke. With no cant, it’s just like freestyle. Climbs through the top of the target and returns. Keep things simple and your short-term brain will love you for it.

Also, when shooting (for a right-handed shooter) strong hand, shoot the targets from right to left. Opposite for weak hand. You can acquire the targets faster.

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Who's that guy on the cover of Front Sight magazine. He is shooting weak handed and his pistol is canted. I think his name is Rob something. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I cant the gun too when shooting weak hand. Uncanted my wrist would be bent when lined up with my dominant eye and the front sight would not return to the same spot after recoil. With the gun canted, my wrist is straight and the front sight returns to the notch in the rear sight. Maybe this is incorrect, but it works for me.

------------------
Mike,
Mike's Sport Shop
http://www.rcvideo.com/users/msmith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts