1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what country the factory is in that makes the 1911's.

Have been reading about quite a few problems with them in the last year or so & after stumbling across a NIB black stainless loaded for under $700 I'm really wondering where they are built & the quality of the factory...

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
all frames/slides are forged by Imbel in Brazil, it's been this way from the get go.

you hear about problems, but that is a minority compared to the 1000's out there w/o problems.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Just wondering what country the factory is in that makes the 1911's.

Have been reading about quite a few problems with them in the last year or so & after stumbling across a NIB black stainless loaded for under $700 I'm really wondering where they are built & the quality of the factory...
It will say on the frame IL or Imbel-Brazil.

I'm pretty sure, being a loaded model it was built in the US.

All the forgings come from Imbel.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
It will say on the frame IL or Imbel-Brazil.

I'm pretty sure, being a loaded model it was built in the US.

All the forgings come from Imbel.
that should be assembled if it has the NM prefix of in the serial number

if it was mostly assembled by IMBEL, then it would have the Brazil importation marks on the frame.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, did not know that.

When/if you have a problem with them & send the pistol in will Springfield pay for shipping or is this on your dime & where do the do the warranty work???

What is driving the questions is I'm waffling between getting a STI Spartan or a Springfield Loaded.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
The Spartan is made entirely in the Philippines.

The Springfield CS is tops, they will warranty any issues you may have. Buy with confidence.

SA pays shipping both ways.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
If anything deserves to be a sticky, it's the "Where's Springfield's 1911s made" posts.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Thanks, did not know that.

When/if you have a problem with them & send the pistol in will Springfield pay for shipping or is this on your dime & where do the do the warranty work???

What is driving the questions is I'm waffling between getting a STI Spartan or a Springfield Loaded.
If you buy a Springfield 1911 and the trigger feels too heavy have a gunsmith measure it. I have noticed a lot of posts about this. If it is out of spec Springfield will make it within spec and pay shipping both ways. In CA pistols have to be sent FedEx Overnight Express which is expensive. Since I didn't want the trigger just in spec but at an even 4 lbs I paid for an action job. Have any additional work done when the shipping is on them. I don't know the shipping requirements in your state but it is expensive in CA. Also I have a Milspec stainless and at the time I elected to keep the trigger parts stainless steel. The custom shop can only go to 4 lbs with ss. If you pay extra for tool steel parts they can give you a 3 lb trigger. I am used to a light trigger so in hindsight I should have paid the extra money for the tool steel parts. But 4 lbs is OK for a SD gun. The trigger is a very crisp 4 lbs I might add. Shipping was a no brainer. SA e-mailed a FedEx shipping label, I printed it and took the label and shipping box to FedEx. They inspected it to make sure it was unloaded and no ammo was in the box. They sealed the box with instructions to the gunsmith inside with the gun, attached the label and off it went. I was instructed to send the gun in its plastic storage box with one mag and place that in the shipping box. 3 weeks later I signed for my returned gun with a very crisp 4 lb pull.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,334 Posts
I just did a search of "Springfield where made" and got over 300 hits.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Only 300 hits?! :eek:

Anything sold in the United States that's not made in the United States needs a marking on it to define just where it was made. That's been law for what seems like eons.

Unless you find a marking that states "Made in [Insert Country Here]" it was made in USA and needs no marking (although some items are marked for export purposes).

Sooooooooo, if you're looking as (let's say, just for grins!) a Springfield M1911 and you can't find any "Made in XXX" marking on it you can rest assured it's made in USA.

If by chance you find the notation (picking a country at random) "Made in Brazil" it was -- wait for it! -- made in Brazil. As simple as this.

Not made-in-USA:

The follow on to this daily question is that all Springfield frames and slides are made from forgings produced by Inbel in Brazil. For those who want purely made-in-USA this might be a concern. But, then, who knows where that iron ore was mined to make the steel...

-- Chuck

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's good. A sticky to another web site.:biglaugh:

Springfield has had their frames come from Brazil for a long time with little problems. My first 1911 in the 1980's was a Springfield with a frame forged in Brazil. They would not have been importing from them for so long if the quality wasn't good. I bought my second Springfield a couple months ago. Obviously I don't have a problem with the Brazilian origin. Both pistols have been very good. They compare very well against 2 Colts I own. Damn good value. Wish I still had my first one.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
As the linked URL states, it's a simple thing:

All Springfield guns start life with Brazillian-made slides and frames. GI, Mil Spec, and some of the Loaded pistols are primarily assembled down there, shipped to SA who does the final fitting and shipping to distributors.

Some of the Loaded pistols, MC Operator, TRP and so forth (All pistols NM marked) come into the country as rough forgings of slide and frame, and Springfield in Geneseo, IL does the finish machining, assembling and fitting here in the US.

It would be no different than some of the semi-custom manufacturers out there that get unmarked frames and slides from, say, Caspian and then doing the fitting and assembling with other parts. I'm not sure of all of them, but I'm fairly certain that Fusion and Nighthawk do not make their own frames and slides but instead get the premachined parts from another supplier and do the assembly work themselves.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
add the Mil-Spec to your list...I don't know about the G.I. Model...some CAN be assembled at Geneseo...(NM marking on serial for the Mil-Spec)
Bill

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
That's good. A sticky to another web site.:biglaugh:
I know I know. The point being is that this is one of the more comprehensive explanations on the subject. And I know for a fact that the same URL has been posted on this site before for the same reason.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts