1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find an ejector for a Day Arms 22 topend that I found in my cabinet. It takes an extra long ejector, about an inch longer than an uncut 9mm ejector. Got any ideas??? snakeater

·
Premium Member
11,655 Posts
Well, I know who Bob Day is and I've read about his 22 conversions, but never handled one. I would have though that it used something like the Colt Ace. Gonna be tough to find unless someone has one squirrelled away somewhere. If it uses something more like a standard ejector, I imagine that you might have to order one special from someone like EGW. You might have to send them the slide in order to reverse engineer.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Bob Day's shop in San Antonio was the "Powderhorn" I think his sons and or widow may still run the shop. They may have spares. The last time I was there before Bob died they did service the conversions. If that does not work Kings makes an extra long ejector. And EGW might work as well. Greg

·
Registered
668 Posts
Snakeeater,

I have a Day .22 conversion that I bought from Bob many years ago. The ejector is a little tab on the top of the magazine. He supplied his conversions with 2 inserts that fit inside of the .45 magazines. These inserts had the tab on them. The inserts are actually small magazines that slip into the .45 mag and snap in place. The inserts only hold 5 rounds. When I asked Bob about this he said he could take a Colt .22 magazine and silver solder a tab onto it if I was interested. I never bothered with this since my mags work well. I don't have a way to post pictures of these inserts but maybe they are mixed in with the other kit pieces that you have.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I always thought the Day unit was a really neat piece. I have had 2 and both worked real well. The mags are pretty trick.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm

Mine does not seem to be made the same way....I got it in the box (as new) some years ago and never really messed with it until now. The slide is cut for a long ejector to ride in, so that's what I figured it needed. My kit did not come with the mag inserts it came (to me) with 2 mags marked " Day Custom 22" that are 10 rnd 22lr mags. After looking at it for a spell today I may be able to make something that will work to eject the shells, but I really wanted something more origional to compete the kit. I will keep looking and try to doctor on it later. Thanks for the help so far. Ssnakeater

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If that slide is cut for a 'long ejector', the ejector may be the kind that's pinned to the side of the lower barrel lugs. Take a look at the left side and see if there's a pin sticking up...all alone. If so, I may have an ejector that you can use.

Bob

·
Registered
668 Posts
Snakeater,

Have you ever looked at the insides of a Colt Ace or early Colt .22 conversion kit? I had one before the Day unit that had a long ejector (or maybe extractor) that clipped to the barrel or slide I believe. My memory is a little foggy on this--it's been a long time. Maybe you have an early unit and he changed to the magazine tab later. I also would recommend trying to find someone in Bob's family who might have knowledge or parts of these units.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't think an extended ejector will work because it won't be in position to contact the extracting case. I thought I had sent you a Reply a few days ago...maybe not. Anyhow, if your mags are not designed with the ejector that Bob Day did, the ejector probably is supposed to be riding on a pin on the left side of the bottom barrel lugs. If you see a pin in that area, that's probably it and I can provide you with an ejector that'll probably work.
Alternatively, there may be a slot on the left side of that lug that an ejector is supposed to be staked into and the ones I have will probably fit there as well.
If you can take a pic of the barrel's bottom, left lug, maybe I can figure it out.
BTW, I've never had a Day Unit apart, so the above is just a WAG, but I've done 'smithing on most of the other brands on the market and a pic would confirm my thoughts on it.

Bob

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wellll

I am assuming that it is an early unit as it has neither of the things you said to look for Bob, I can't see any way to attatch an ejector. And the more that I look at it I don't think that an extended 1911 elector would work either, it seems that the ejector piece should ride in the slot inside the blowback portion of the slide???? I believe if I welded a finger on the side of a stock ejector it would probably work, but I don't know. My thinking is that this is an early kit, the only serial numbers that I can find on it are 086, don't know if that is the correct serial no. or something else. Crappy pics are below, be warned i am an awful photgrapher.......Snakeater
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/snakeaterphotos/IMG_0133.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/snakeaterphotos/IMG_0134.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/snakeaterphotos/IMG_0135.jpg

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Okay, now I know what the design is, and it's not what I had thought. It's more of a Colt Ace lockup but doesn't have the channel cut into the slide for the ejector to run in...which would run from the front, pinned to the barrel lugs. That slot I see which runs into the recess for the case rim is probably put there for the ejector. I think you're right too, about welding a piece on that will run in that slot and contact the spent case as the slide retracts and pulls the case into it. That's probably the way Bob Day designed it and you're missing one part...the ejector.
It's really interesting, I've never seen a conversion designed this way but it would definitely work. He'd probably have a little trouble marketing them in that configuration though, because it would require an exchange of the ejector every time the 1911 was converted. I think the Ace, Marvel, Advantage Arms, Kimber, is a better system.
I remember the Day Unit now, I've only seen one and that was at least ten or 15 years ago. I remember that little 'tab' on the front of the slide that slipped onto the frame's dust cover. I thought it was a bit Mickey Mouse...but it worked!
Sorry I couldn't help, but if you can find one of the units I mentioned, I suspect you could figure out how to mill your barrel lug for an ejector, and I'd still send you one, all hardened and ready to roll...and free! But for now, your welding skill is probably the best route.

Bob

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thanks Bob.....bout the only thing I do well is Tig weld. as a result that is always the answer to any problem that I have...Weld it!! Any how, I am goint to put this little gun together for fun, if i remember correctly the Day conversions were known to be good shooters. Thanks for al the help gentlemen......Sssnakeater

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm

I wish mine was made like that it would be alot easier to fabricate a small steel piece like that.......thanks Snakeater

1 - 14 of 14 Posts